Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Fayetteville, AR
If only I was a programming prodigy, the I would optimize openoffice for os2008. Just think of the market thhis would open up; doc, ppt, xls, weather we like it or
not these are integral to the world of business(at least for now). I just don't see how nokia(or others) haven't pursued this, beyond abiword. Don't get me wrong koffice is great and whhat PB has done with KDE is amazing, but we need MS compatibility...So this is it, my call to programmer arms, deliver Openoffice unto us.

Sadly OpenOffice uses Java which the Nxxx don't support. Someone is doing a Abiword conversion though

Lyx would rock

Originally Posted by All Seeing Pie View Post
Sadly OpenOffice uses Java which the Nxxx don't support. Someone is doing a Abiword conversion though
Even just ODF viewers would be great!

Actually, although Sun uses Open Office as a way to push Java (through bundling), only a few things in Open Office actually use it. Most of Open Office runs totally fine without any JRE.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Actually there is a full office suite that works rather nice to say the least with the n800. Google docs. Web based. Runs best off of the mozilla engine (aka microB) and reads/writes to all of the moribund Microsoft formats (.doc .xls .ppt)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jibanes View Post
Lyx would rock
It really, really would. LaTeX/LyX's philisophy of presenting the material optimized for the output device you're using clues in nicely with the Itablet's smaller screens. Who wants to fiddle with layouts on an Itablet, eh?

So, is the LaTeX version we already have for the Itablet sufficient?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by linuxrebel View Post
Actually there is a full office suite that works rather nice to say the least with the n800. Google docs. Web based. Runs best off of the mozilla engine (aka microB) and reads/writes to all of the moribund Microsoft formats (.doc .xls .ppt)
Ditto, the only downside is that you need to be online to use it. Since I connect via HSDPA (on my E51 over BT), I'm only unable to use this when I'm out of mobile coverage. Works well too, and I have hundreds of files on my Google Docs account, and it beats having that suck up space on my N800

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
I'll post this here in the hopes that it gets peoples' attention: You will almost certainly never see OpenOffice.org or any of its derivatives for the N8x0 for the following reasons:
1) size of codebase. It's huge and it's not getting smaller. This makes it difficult to work with.
2) size in terms of memory footprint. It brings a Mac with 512MB of RAM to its knees causing it to swap heavily. We have 128MB of RAM and no swap.
3) It is likely very difficult to compile for the ARM architecture since even Debian doesn't have a binary of it for ARM.
4) It's UI won't fit the screen size ... at all. and hildonizing it would be extremely prohibitive with regards to effort and changes vs the upstream codebase.

If anyone wants to prove me wrong and get it running, more power to them. In the long run though, I think that abiword and gnumeric are a much better bet.

-John

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Oo somehow works on zaurus.