Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
now, i've never met me a linux whore, but from what i hear they have fewer STD's than say an up-market windows type tramp, so take that for what it's worth.
LOL
as for the PDF, man what a great viewer blows the palm right out of the water. Notes wise, I haven't found a good program yet (am i missing one people i've looked around, I would like to actually mark up PDF on the nokia)
Xournal, though I haven't actually tried the Annotate PDF -> scribble -> save as PDF routine since I switched to Anidel's OS2008 beta. It worked fine in the old OS2007 version, though.

Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Since you seem to have done all the research, why do you want us to make a decision for you? Either get one, based on what you have read here (and it seems as if you have done lots of research), or don't.

I call troll.

I wasn't asking anyone to make the decision for me, I was asking for referance to all the issues with the N800 compared to all the positives of the N800, and a generally laid out personal experience from you guys, which I got.

Thanks all, and to those who made jokes.. please, don't ever stop doing it! lmfao

Karls was, I must admit, the best so far

but anyways.. There were just some issues with the N800 that don't have any definitive answer as of yet, and the main one I wanted addressed was the power issue (power button thingy)

Is that a standard of all N800's or is that a rarity? Or, is it 50/50 between all N800's?

Btw, I have something to confess.. this is all due in part to the fact that my girlfriend is a very.. how do I say this? .. general user.

I asked any of this for her (of course without her knowing.. I love her and I wouldnt want her to be frustrated with thsi product at all), so anything I asked was in direct referance to her, and her needs.

As for me.. I've known linux since before Windows 95. Doesn't sound like a long time, but im only 21. The scaleability, the possibilities.. omg. I just wish I could define my actions, because when I get mine I'm going to attempt a HD installation.

I can't explain what I do, because I don't know the definitions, but I just know how to do it.. does that make sense? I've always been like that with everything in my life.

But anyways.. I freaking LOVE this thing! I was going to buy one reguardless, but either way thank you all for.. well, let me rephrase that:

Thank you anyone who gave constructive replies

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
FWIW, and risking sounding like a broken record, my opinion on the topic of PIMs on the N800:

Nokia is first and foremost, a handset manufacturer to consumers. Yes, they do networks and have enterprise solutions, but to us consumers and many prosumers, they are a handset manufacturer

Therefore, I am of the opinion, that the Internet Tablets were designed primarily to be an internet companion to a mobile phone. If it wasn't for my Nokia E51, I would have the same concerns about the absence of a decent PIM. But the iT is not a PDA, and was never marketed as such (here's the broken record bit, sorry)

As a companion to a mobile phone for connectivity (with Wifi as a secondary, less ubiquitous means of connection), it does what my phone does not do well, i.e. open and read PDFs comfortably, browse the web with a desktop user experience, playback movies on a decently sized screen, Skype and other VoIP, etc.

For contact management, calendaring, and simple to-dos, stuff that I cannot do without, Nokia probably figured that users would more likely be caught without their iT than without a mobile phone. On a night out on the town with friends where I have no desire to tote around a largish device like the N800, I have all the important information that I need on my Nokia E51.

My E51 connects to my office Exchange server, providing me with push email, contacts, calendars, Active Directory lookups, and tasks. My contacts and calendar information is always up-to-date, and I never have to worry about losing data when I lose my phone, simply because all I would need to do would be to buy a new one and set up Exchange Activesync, and everything would practically be back the way it was.

My E51 also does double duty as a VoIP device since I have Gizmo set up, and with Windows Live Messenger, I keep in touch with my buddies over MSN Messenger, and with fring, I get to use SkypeOut (though it's rarely that good over HSDPA, but once I hit a WiFi hotspot, BINGO!

Sure, I could surf on my E51, but the user experience is nowhere close to what I get on the N800, and I certainly don't want to have to lug my notebook everywhere.

Plus, on a night out on the town, with all that's going on, I would so hate to lose my N800. So the N800 and all the enhanced functionality stays home, and my E51 with all the critcal functionality comes with me.

If I wanted a device that would work in WiFi areas only and not as a companion to the E51 (or any other smartphone, for that matter), I would have bought an iPod Touch which would have pretty much most of the functionality that I need, except that I would have to live with Apple's iTunes to get my movies over in MP4 format ONLY. Or I would get an eeePC, if I could be bothered to pick up Linux

As to the frequency of the power off issue, keep in mind that people generally don't post about a problem unless they are experiencing it. And if they are having the problem, then there is a very good chance that they would post about it. So an unscientific way of calculating the frequency is to 1) count the number of people that posted to the power-off thread, and 2) count the number of people that have posted to any other issue that is likely to affect everyone. If these two counts are taken from different time periods, then adjust the numbers to reflect the number of users on this forum at the respective times. Also factor in the impact of the two issues that you are comparing (a higher impact will get more people posting about it).

For the record, I haven't experienced any power-related difficulties on my N800.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derekp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
derekp brings up a good point, one that I know I've harped on many times here: don't confuse perception (created by forum posts) with reality. Typically, failures of new devices in the field amount to 5% or less of all shipped. Any more and you risk going out of business fast. Any less and you are probably spending more to accomplish that than you save in reverse logistics (YMMV).

When I worked at the Alliance factory, our FFR (field failure rate) was usually 3% or less. Folks, that's outstanding in any industry except maybe automotive. The initial N800 launch enjoyed even better rates. I have no knowledge of current rates (and couldn't share if I did) but they're nowhere near what one would gather from forum complaints.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
derekp brings up a good point, one that I know I've harped on many times here: don't confuse perception (created by forum posts) with reality. Typically, failures of new devices in the field amount to 5% or less of all shipped. Any more and you risk going out of business fast. Any less and you are probably spending more to accomplish that than you save in reverse logistics (YMMV).

When I worked at the Alliance factory, our FFR (field failure rate) was usually 3% or less. Folks, that's outstanding in any industry except maybe automotive. The initial N800 launch enjoyed even better rates. I have no knowledge of current rates (and couldn't share if I did) but they're nowhere near what one would gather from forum complaints.
Well that's exactly what I was looking for.

And just to clearify, it wasn't only this forum's complaints of failure issues that I was going on, which was fueling my initial concern, and that's why I was trying to assimilate the situation as to whether or not its a normal oddity, or a rarity umong devices overall that are with failure.

but thank you all for the answers and support; honestly one of the best forums I've been to, IMO