Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Are you sure you are not mixing the things? As CSSU comes with two "portraits"
The first one is an officially supported feature, the second is not.
Could be. But, from what I've seen the last couple of days, "forced rotation" has got to be one of the most loved and heavily used unsupported features I've ever seen. People have apparently been putting hours of work into carefully crafting extensive blacklists for the thing.

Ultimately, yeah, I'm here because it does impact Pierogi. And, it seems like folks here are highly motivated to keep it. As such, my request is that it be made an official feature of CSSU, and set up in such a way that it break less apps when used...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2012-10-31 at 12:37.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Could be. But, from what I've seen the last couple of days, "forced rotation" has got to be one of the most loved and heavily used unsupported features I've ever seen. People have apparently been putting hours of work into carefully crafting extensive blacklists for the thing.

Ultimately, yeah, I'm here because it does impact Pierogi. And, it seems like folks here are highly motivated to keep it. As such, my request is that it be made an official feature of CSSU, and set up in such a way that it break less apps when used...
Feel free to help:

https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/hildon-desktop

with either merge requests or with ideas on how to make things better.

#maemo-ssu on freenode IRC is the place where discussions happen, join us and share what and how you think has to be done.

It happened that we've been discussing "portrait/landscape" stuff (esp how Qt handles it) for the past couple of hours, you may want to read today's log of the same channel.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Feel free to help:
Let me poke around a bit and see if I can catch up to the CSSU world. (The downsides to me helping are that (a) I haven't even yet installed CSSU on my N900s myself, and (b) I'm terrible with IRC. Every time I've used IRC, I end up screwing up something or other, embarrassing myself and annoying the heck out of all the other users. )

I'll start going through the archives again, and maybe begin work again on that Wiki page I never finished...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I created new battery status area plugin (based on old MAG version). It work with BME or with bq27x00_battery kernel driver. It is like original Nokia version, plus display percentage, remaining time and capacity.

Please test it and write if this can go to CSSU :-)

Source: https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/...applet-battery
DEB: now in CSSU

Last edited by pali; 2013-04-06 at 18:56.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by pali View Post
I created new battery status area plugin (based on old MAG version). It work with BME or with bq27x00_battery kernel driver. It is like original Nokia version, plus display percentage, remaining time and capacity.

Please test it and write if this can go to CSSU :-)

Source: https://gitorious.org/~pali/communit...applet-battery
DEB: http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pal....0-1_armel.deb
Works for me on my testing device, on CSSU-thumb, 2.6.28.10-cssu3 kernel, BME it required "killall hildon-status-menu" after installation. At first I thought it would display percentage on the icon and was disappointed, but after a second discovered that it displays this data after opening hildon-status-menu Great it's even localized! it says "Battery" and "hours" in my language, that's nice

One question: how is the remaining time calculated? my testing device is usually just running for a few days with very little usage (0.5-1h daily at max), it was running for something around 3 days now, your widget says: "Battery: 53%, 692/2387 mAh, 3 hours" - why only 3 hours? Do you have a thread here or a bugtracker to report such issues?

edit: command
Code:
hal-device bme
returned
Code:
battery.remaining_time = 10800 (0x2a30) (int)
and I see in https://gitorious.org/~pali/communit...plet-battery.c (lines 205-231) that this is the value that you're treating as value in seconds. So either bme is wrong or interpretation of this value is wrong. By the way, nice reuse of strings from osso-clock, mediaplayer and osso-display when you took days from osso-clock, didn't it also have hours? and, side note (don't take it personally, as it's not aimed at you) - by looking at lines 129-163 i was suprised how lamer-ish the displayed graphics is

edit 2: "hal-device bme" returned exactly the same value of battery.remaining_time on my second n900 (10800). I need to say that both have similar percentage, thought (testing one has still 53% while the other one has 45%).

edit 3: the second device uses cssu stable, kernel 2.6.8.10-power51 (that's what uname -r says, but that's the "r1" version).

Last edited by misiak; 2012-11-07 at 01:39.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Thanks! Seems to work fine, though I'm not sure the remaining time is very accurate. Says 3 hours for 58%.

Edit: Latest CSSU-thumb and BME here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
In hald-addon-bme documentation is written that "battery.remaining_time" key is in seconds. And in HAL documentation is written that remaining_time is also in seconds. I really do not know how BME calculate this time...

If you have kernel-power, you can stop BME and load bq27x00_battery kernel module for battery information. Status menu plugin automatically switch to bq module if is loaded/unloaded.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Like this?:
Code:
stop bme
modprobe bq27x00_battery
Just to be shure

The Following User Says Thank You to toxaris For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by pali View Post
In hald-addon-bme documentation is written that "battery.remaining_time" key is in seconds. And in HAL documentation is written that remaining_time is also in seconds. I really do not know how BME calculate this time...

If you have kernel-power, you can stop BME and load bq27x00_battery kernel module for battery information. Status menu plugin automatically switch to bq module if is loaded/unloaded.
I know, with your kernel module it shows more possible value either the documentation is wrong or my n900 (and foobar's one?) is somehow broken. I charged my main (cssu stable) device overnight, now it has 84% and battery.remaining_time is 14400 (0x3840) which would be 4h... oh, wait, this is funny, percentage dropped to 83 and battery.remaining_time is now 18000 (0x4650) which would be 5h. Strange, I think I'll write a script which will check these two values every 10 minutes and run it in the background after my next full charge untill almost full discharge.

edit: 82% and 14400 again.

edit 2: 81% and enormously low 3600 (0xe10)... and for 80, 7200 (0x1c20) - something is really messed up in here. and again, 10800 for 80... maybe it is the current value based on the device usage in the very moment? i'll play with it later

Last edited by misiak; 2012-11-07 at 10:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by toxaris View Post
Like this?:
Code:
stop bme
modprobe bq27x00_battery
Just to be shure
Yes. Note that if you want to charge battery you need also kernel module bq2415x_charger. And due to HAL "battery charging" state is updated every 10-20s, so notification will not be immediately as you (un)plug charger.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu testing