Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Thanks to Wikiwide for exhaustive explanation !

I'll just add:
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
hi, MartinK...!
One other thing: I installed ModRana on my ubuntu - but I don't find tile folders - can you tell me where this is?
On PC, the map tiles are stored in your home folder inside the .modrana/maps directory. (If your Ubuntu username is for example also justmemory, the absolute path would be:
/home/justmemory/.modrana/maps
As the .modrana directory has . in front of its name, it is by default "hidden" and you might need to enable "show hidden files & folders" in your file browser to see it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Thanks to Wikiwide for exhaustive explanation !

I'll just add:

On PC, the map tiles are stored in your home folder inside the .modrana/maps directory. (If your Ubuntu username is for example also justmemory, the absolute path would be:
/home/justmemory/.modrana/maps
As the .modrana directory has . in front of its name, it is by default "hidden" and you might need to enable "show hidden files & folders" in your file browser to see it.
yes, thank you Wikiwide, MartinK! I forgot to look for hidden folders...
anyway, i get it now; I just have to download the maps

thank you very much,

jm

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Hi,
Thank you very much for the amazing piece of software

I have an issue with dragging though. The default mode, full redraw is alright (beside being slow, but that's quite obvious). The "draw visible map" is a lot faster, and awesome for dragging, but it fails to detect when you're pressing a button (menu, zooming etc) instead of dragging a map. So when you try to get to the menu, it keeps moving the map by one pixel, which is quite frustrating.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Get modRana 0.36.6
2. Go to menu, options, map, dragging, select "drag visible map - fastest"
3. Get back to the map view
4. Attempt to press the [menu] button, especially with a finger.
5. Watch how the map moves by few pixels on every press, w/o pressing the button.

Any chance for fixing that in some future release? Faster scrolling is awesome

Thanks again for working on modRana.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tadzik For This Useful Post:
I would like to request support for Google GTFS public transit data.
The specs are public and are available here
https://developers.google.com/transit/gtfs/
The support would ideally include: (in order of how important this is to me)
1.Ability to feed in a GTFS data set from a URL or from a local disk file
2.Display of stops (whatever stops the GTFS data set contains) on the map
3.Ability to feed in a landmark or location or similar and have modrana figure out how to get from where I currently am (i.e. my current GPS coordinates) to the location specified using the next available public transport service (with the ability to identify that the only way to get there is to catch multiple vehicles and to provide details accordingly). It must also be able to handle walking (walking from where you are now to the nearest transit stop, walking from the final transit stop to the destination and walking between stops if necessary for changing vehicles) with the ability to set a limit on the maximum distance you are willing to walk (i.e. if you set this to a lower value it might then calculate a journey that will take longer in total but require less walking)
Also, the route calculation should have the ability to use stop numbers (if the GTFS data provides them) as landmarks for the routing calculation.
4.The ability to select a stop displayed on the map and see the next services scheduled to pass by that stop with their times
and 5.The ability to overlay a route on the map so you can see that exact route and where it goes (useful so you can see if a particular bus goes where you need to go and also so you if you are on a bus you can see where the bus you are on goes and identify when you need to get off)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Would it be difficult when in Night mode to draw the maps in negative colors?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Can Modrana share map tiles (Google maps) with mappero? I have a large map downloaded for mappero at the moment (more or less efficiently stored: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74415 ) and would like to reuse them if possible.

And how effective is downloading OSM maps with sqlite enabled? I mean, how many zoom levels one gets for say the Czech Republic?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tadzik View Post
Hi,
Thank you very much for the amazing piece of software

I have an issue with dragging though. The default mode, full redraw is alright (beside being slow, but that's quite obvious). The "draw visible map" is a lot faster, and awesome for dragging, but it fails to detect when you're pressing a button (menu, zooming etc) instead of dragging a map. So when you try to get to the menu, it keeps moving the map by one pixel, which is quite frustrating.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Get modRana 0.36.6
2. Go to menu, options, map, dragging, select "drag visible map - fastest"
3. Get back to the map view
4. Attempt to press the [menu] button, especially with a finger.
5. Watch how the map moves by few pixels on every press, w/o pressing the button.

Any chance for fixing that in some future release? Faster scrolling is awesome

Thanks again for working on modRana.
OK, should be fixed in 0.38.1.

Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
I would like to request support for Google GTFS public transit data.
The specs are public and are available here
https://developers.google.com/transit/gtfs/
The support would ideally include: (in order of how important this is to me)
1.Ability to feed in a GTFS data set from a URL or from a local disk file
2.Display of stops (whatever stops the GTFS data set contains) on the map
3.Ability to feed in a landmark or location or similar and have modrana figure out how to get from where I currently am (i.e. my current GPS coordinates) to the location specified using the next available public transport service (with the ability to identify that the only way to get there is to catch multiple vehicles and to provide details accordingly). It must also be able to handle walking (walking from where you are now to the nearest transit stop, walking from the final transit stop to the destination and walking between stops if necessary for changing vehicles) with the ability to set a limit on the maximum distance you are willing to walk (i.e. if you set this to a lower value it might then calculate a journey that will take longer in total but require less walking)
Also, the route calculation should have the ability to use stop numbers (if the GTFS data provides them) as landmarks for the routing calculation.
4.The ability to select a stop displayed on the map and see the next services scheduled to pass by that stop with their times
and 5.The ability to overlay a route on the map so you can see that exact route and where it goes (useful so you can see if a particular bus goes where you need to go and also so you if you are on a bus you can see where the bus you are on goes and identify when you need to get off)
OK, that looks doable & useful. There seem to be quite a lot of GTFS providers (Googles list, GTFS exchange) already and there is even a module for working with the GTFS format in Python.

Also the prospect of just loading the data once (+updates from time to time) and having the complete timetable for the whole area (where available) seems really useful.

I've added your featured request to the Github issue tracker (as the ticket interface on modrana.org seems to be causing issues with new ticket submission at the moment).

I'll probably probably work on this in stages (roughly in the corresponding to the order you've specified) and note the progress here & to the issue on Github). Can't really give a timetable though, due to all the other modRana related work items.

And of course anyone who can work with Python is invited to help with this.

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Would it be difficult when in Night mode to draw the maps in negative colors?
Thanks for the idea ! I've implemented it in some version prior to 0.38.1.

Originally Posted by sup View Post
Can Modrana share map tiles (Google maps) with mappero? I have a large map downloaded for mappero at the moment (more or less efficiently stored: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74415 ) and would like to reuse them if possible.
If you use the default tile storage method ("files"), it should share map tiles with Mappero automatically. Of course Mappero only sees the layers it expect to exist, which are IIRC Google, Google Satelite & OSM Mapnik and maybe a few others. It won't see new layers added to modRana after Mappero development was discontinued, such as the Stamen Design layers, the OSM Public transport layer, etc.

Originally Posted by sup View Post
And how effective is downloading OSM maps with sqlite enabled? I mean, how many zoom levels one gets for say the Czech Republic?
This is not easy to estimate. But users reported pretty dramatic space savings with sqlite tile storage, in the order of 1600 MB before and 60 MB after for the same tiles (using the sqlite import script).

Some related remarks:

Why is sqlite tile storage so efficient ?
Empty tiles (white squares) have about 130B, but consume a whole 64kB cluter on the FAT32 formatted MyDocs partition. In the sqlite database they consume only the 130B + a few bytes for metadata.

Tile count per layer
Every layer has 4 times as much tiles as the layer above.

Example: If your download has 100k tiles up on layer n, it will have 400k tiles on layer n+1. 500k for both layers.

Estimating batch download size
Is not easy as it depends on the level of detail in the current area. Generally a city center will require more storage than a rural are on a piece of sea or wilderness.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
modRana 0.38.1 has been (sort of) released !
Due to autobuilder still being broken, see instructions in this post for instructions how to update modRana manually.

Whats new since 0.37.2:
Code:
* Negative map layer filter for night-time usage
 * can be enabled in options->Map->Filters
 * options: on/off/with night theme
* meridian & parallel grid
 * can be enabled in options->Map->Grid
 * grid color is configurable
 * labels can be turned off
* scale is now properly themed
* fixed on-screen button clicking with fast map drag
Nemo Mobile packages available
Installable modRana package for Nemo mobile is now available from the modrana-nemo COBS repository.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Code:
* fixed on-screen button clicking with fast map drag
Yay! Just checked it out, works like a charm. Thank you!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadzik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Such an excellent piece of work, Martin!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps