Active Topics

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Um, Qemu? but veeeeery slow...

Bochs can also do it, but also extremely slow. If you search the forums, I got Win98 booted on the tablet, via Bochs, but it took 30 minutes just to boot!

ROFLCOPTER!!

Pardon my French, but Win98 on IT is crazy. 30 minutes to boot sounds about right, though. CISC emulation on RISC is not the way to awesome performance.

Hi
I am a ReactOS devloper
We are porting ReactOS at moment to Mac PowerPC and XBOX at moment
and our devloping tools in rosbe only support x86 at moment later we will include PowerPC for it, Then we maybe will do next port to arm or mips we have not yet decide for it take long time todo a port. for u need rewite hal, and part of ntoskrnl
todo a port. after that you also need bootloader for the os adding support to freeldr, next issue is to fix our include files handling arm cpu for the inline asm

I do not think we will see soon a port to arm. we already are working on ppc and xbox we do not have people egunt todo more port.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreatLord For This Useful Post:
nice to have you here.

Quick question i will be getting a UMPC when the one i want to come out. Is there any performance increase in this OS compared to MS XP?

Basically why use ReactOS over MS OS?

Hi
About speed diffent betwin ReactOS and XP
yes it is speed diffent. some part are optimze in ReactOS it is faster that XP some other part like font drawing is around 25% slower that xp, The font drawing system have not been optimze at all. Some other part is faster that XP as well. if u try windows xp in qemu then try ReactOS in qemu you will notice that ReactOS is alot faster that XP, in general. But rember the optimzing of ReactOS have not even started or look into yet.

Why using ReactOS when we have windows xp ?
ReactOS is opensource and it give people a choice to use a free OS and do not need pay licen money to Microsoft. And it also give us options make it faster and less havy and less bloat. Why using Linux and Unix it is same question.

Rember ReactOS is still alpha stages and we are working to getting it to beta stages.

It'd be interesting to see if x86 ReactOS would boot in bochs/qemu on the tablet. Maybe when I have some extra time on my hands....

Buy an OQO.

React OS is fast because it removes a lot of windows bloat. The IT is slow because it is a handheld, battery powered device. IF you could port react OS to the IT, it would not be any faster than the linux OS on the IT. The OS on the IT is mature and has had a lot of smart geeks optimizing it. I'm not saying that the IT OS is perfect, but you're not going to get a speed boost by porting an OS designed to maintain binary compatibility with Windows X86 software.

David

Hey gsagers,

Can you post how for got Win98 working ?
I've been trying to get Win 3.11 working but it kept locking up....

Originally Posted by gsagers View Post
Bochs can also do it, but also extremely slow. If you search the forums, I got Win98 booted on the tablet, via Bochs, but it took 30 minutes just to boot!

What's the state of reactos for arm?

It could be nice to run on the n900 applications that you have programmed for x86 Windows. (Even if you have to recompile for "windows-arm" which does not even exist with MS.)

This would be a more complete "Windows" on n900 than W7phone.
And you could run windows.net.