Active Topics

Posts: 1,238 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
its running on N9. anyone knows if it will run on N900 ?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
I couldn't believe my eyes, this was the most beautiful OS I have ever seen. And the gestures, wow. This will surely crush Apple and Samsung's heads once they go for the phone announcement (HW). This is wow, and will forever be wow. And as Jolla said on Twitter, an expert hacker will be able to provide the OS for the N9/50.
Way to go, Jolla!

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I understand that marketing is important so for me that explains a lot of the exaggerated statements like "stunning" that are used.

The only (positively) differentiating thing I see in Sailfish when compared to iOS, Android and WP7 is another attempt to make an UI put multitasking between applications in the spotlight.
Nokia also did this with Maemo and MeeGo, and this implementation seems similar to the Harmattan implementation.
I hope it will actually function well when devices are released. I am skeptical because doing proper multitasking on resource constrained devices requires extra effort from app creators ( in Maemo and MeeGo in any event), and I have doubts that app creators will put in the effort for a small niche OS.
Since I believe That WP8 and BB10 also try to focus on multitasking it will be interesting to see how these OS-es compare in terms of stability and app availability.

Well said. I am afraid that with their track record, the big picture may be rosy, but day to day use will be subpar to competitors. But hey, they are on their own now. They know that in order for them to succeed they need to deliver a near perfect UI. I wish them good luck, but as I said before, I will not buy anything from Jussa as his leadership makes me doubt he can deliver a smooth performance that is on par with competition.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Why should I? I don't mind different opinion, I do mind spamming forums with it just to piss others off.

The wiki says "Coming soon" for the binaries: https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Main_Page#SDK_Binaries
becouse I'm really against ignore lists. The mind should be the filter. Just my thought, but its up to everyone to do what they please.

thanks for the link. Take care.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
A mix of windows tiles, Android desktop and n9 swipe...Did anyone saw if iOS was included?
Yes if you want , there is that row of icons , the iOS trademark.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Overall, is anyone else disappointed? This looks almost exactly the same as what Blackberry 10 is doing, but doesn't look anywhere near as advanced or polished. Lumiaman has a point as well. I'd like to see how Jolla Mobile handles web browsing, or integrating with e-mail. Fluffy UI's and background images don't do anything for me.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Well said. I am afraid that with their track record, the big picture may be rosy, but day to day use will be subpar to competitors. But hey, they are on their own now. They know that in order for them to succeed they need to deliver a near perfect UI. I wish them good luck, but as I said before, I will not buy anything from Jussa as his leadership makes me doubt he can deliver a smooth performance that is on par with competition.
Jolla is not "only" Jussa...
Also, I think they plan to become more than "just" a niche market.
Bet in 10 months from release theybecome bigger than what Windows Phone is for Nokia now? Also,

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
It looks like a mixture of WP, Harmattan and ios. Not impressed at all. Moreover, it doesnt seem smooth to me, and Jussa is known for not delivering a smooth experience.

The bottom line is that there is very little in those videos to make one decide one way or another. For example, how is email performing? N9 has THE WORST email client in the history of smartphones. Did that improve? Is it still stuttering and laggy like N9? I gave 4 N9s away due to such subpar performance. The only way I would consider buying anything from Jussa, is if he gave it to me for 10 day grace period, to test it out and make sure it doesnt contain all the previous flaws that disgraced N9 and maemo.
this sounds a bit unfair for the Harmattan phone, considering it was osbourned before even being born, and that support for it from Nokia was way limited.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2012-11-21 at 14:25.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Looks from Jolla's latest twitters they are releasing SDK now¿!?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Looks from Jolla's latest twitters they are releasing SDK now¿!?
The SDK is available for download from the sailfishos wiki already.
There will be a showcase of it tomorrow morning, times 10.00 am (GMT + 3, helsinki)

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Overall, is anyone else disappointed? This looks almost exactly the same as what Blackberry 10 is doing, but doesn't look anywhere near as advanced or polished. Lumiaman has a point as well. I'd like to see how Jolla Mobile handles web browsing, or integrating with e-mail. Fluffy UI's and background images don't do anything for me.
Agree. I can't really point out any revolutionary new thing compared to Harmattan. But if the platform continues to be supported and updated devices will be released in the future, that alone is a big plus compared to Harmattan.
But it could still be a long time before it is actually in a finished state. As Haramttan and MeeGo proved: it is very difficult to develop your applications if the platform and SDK aren't finalized.

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?