Active Topics

Originally Posted by MetalGearSolid View Post
Probably you can remove quiet from your bootmenu entry and add verbose/debug. More info here -- https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Boot_Debugging

Btw where exactly are facing errors ?

i2c 3-001d: >Driver lis3lv02d_i2c requests probe deferral
Hey MetalGearSolid, yes I'll enable your options to get more data off the boot logs. I'll set up my camera to do hi speed photog if all else fails.. :P

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ashish View Post
Hey Skry. Thanks for the detailed reply. I have repartitioned the sd card. And reinstalled everything. I will try to see if that works now.
Let's hope for the best

Also, I found this weird:
1. During all these errors, the only way out was to remove the battery. Pressing the power button did nothing.
2. Removing the back cover caused the system to think that the memory card was offline and unusable.
1. Power button does nothing currently. Though it should be relatively easy to configure, I have not yet looked at that.

2. That's normal. N900 has magnetic sensor on the backcover which removes the card.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
I am guessing it was the file system format. I changed to ext4 and whenever I try to mount it on N900 like so:

mount -t ext4 /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mnt

I get:
mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mnt/ failed: No such device

If I remove the fs-type or provide a wrong fs-type, I get:

mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mnt/ failed: Invalid argument

Now, I guess I'll try with ext3... Strange that ext4 works for you. Or I need to install some other e2fsprogs package.

The Following User Says Thank You to ashish For This Useful Post:
I am guessing it was the file system format. I changed to ext4 and whenever I try to mount it on N900 like so:

mount -t ext4 /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mnt

I get:
mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mnt/ failed: No such device

If I remove the fs-type or provide a wrong fs-type, I get:

mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mnt/ failed: Invalid argument

Now, I guess I'll try with ext3... Strange that ext4 works for you. Or I need to install some other e2fsprogs package.
I did full system upgrade on my primary install and everything is running fine, so there should be no issue with updates. I also did full install from scratch following the guide to a new sd-card (partitioned with gparted via my desktop, mkfs.ext4 in Maemo) from latest rootfs and it boots without any issues. In addition to that, joshgillies from #maemo-alternatives reflashed his N900 to cssu-thumb and did the Alarm install successfully.

So, I'm really clueless what is wrong, are you sure your sd-card is not failing? I sincerely hope you get it up and running, and if you find the reason for these troubles please let us know.

First, I want to thank you for your great efforts. I haven't tried Arch for more than half a year on my N900, and I was amazed how smooth the whole instalation worked out. Even more, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that you even had adapted the whole thing to systemd already.
This is just a dream come true.

Originally Posted by Skry View Post
1. Power button does nothing currently. Though it should be relatively easy to configure, I have not yet looked at that.
That is quite easy indeed. All you need is to setup acpid (and acpi). Both the power button and the screen lock trigger acpi events.

Any chance that you'll release the PKBUILDs of your packages (especially for linux-n900)? For example, cryptsetup isn't working properly, as it can't load/use the dm_mod kernel module, or I'd like to try out omapfb vs omapdrm. Usually, I'd just have recompiled the kernel (or the needed modules), but that's quite a bunch of work without the PKGBUILD scripts and patches you used. :/

regards
Pascal

The Following User Says Thank You to hardfalcon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hardfalcon View Post
First, I want to thank you for your great efforts. I haven't tried Arch for more than half a year on my N900, and I was amazed how smooth the whole instalation worked out. Even more, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that you even had adapted the whole thing to systemd already.
This is just a dream come true.
Nice to hear you find it useful, and it's great to hear installation went well. Welcome aboard

That is quite easy indeed. All you need is to setup acpid (and acpi). Both the power button and the screen lock trigger acpi events.
Apparently systemd can do this also, it's all in the wiki.

Any chance that you'll release the PKBUILDs of your packages (especially for linux-n900)? For example, cryptsetup isn't working properly, as it can't load/use the dm_mod kernel module, or I'd like to try out omapfb vs omapdrm. Usually, I'd just have recompiled the kernel (or the needed modules), but that's quite a bunch of work without the PKGBUILD scripts and patches you used. :/
I'll put the more important PKGBUILDs to somewhere at some point. Meanwhile, you can just clone my git repository for kernel, which has all the patches and grab kernel config from a running system.

I will, however, upload a new kernel version once I'm done testing it and am more than happy to include dm_mod etc. Said kernel will also have BFS and BFQ (in the veins of -ck) which should make your Alarm fly (based on my own test builds).

For now you should be better off with omapfb, for 3.5.y at least. IIRC omapdrm didn't even work with 3.5 for N900 but I do use it in my 3.7 test builds currently. It does not offer any benefits at all currently and the only xorg-driver that is trouble free with it is still the good old -fbdev. So, for now it really is not worth the trouble.

Anyways, if you need anything, f.e. kernel modules, just let me know and we'll see what can be done.

Last edited by Skry; 2012-11-23 at 21:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
I just had to register on these forums now.

Skry and everyone else here working on Arch-On-N900, thank you so much!

Arch Linux has been my favorit OS for years... I've always dreamed to have it on a phone, with encryption. And there is just the post with dm-crypt

I will have exams and therefore learning to do the next time, but in a few months I will actively join the development (write documentation, test stuff out, write lightweight and fast c programs -- the arch way) and turn the n900 I luckily got into the best phone ever

Just a hint, I am not sure if you are aware that dropbox.com has a download limit at some point. That means if too many people start using your great packages, they won't be available anymore at all. But that is something you probably won't need to worry about right now.

tl;dr: keep going with that great stuff everyone, it's awesome!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robotanarchy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robotanarchy View Post
Arch Linux has been my favorit OS for years... I've always dreamed to have it on a phone, with encryption. And there is just the post with dm-crypt
Mine too, even though I have not been that happy about the direction it's been going lately, after all these years I still cant find distribution that could even match it. I dreamed of it on a phone too, that's why I started this whole thing here

Now, I already did a kernel build with dm/crypto modules, have not had time to test it out yet though. There are few other stuff I also need to include, before packaging it.

I will actively join the development (write documentation, test stuff out, write lightweight and fast c programs -- the arch way) and turn the n900 I luckily got into the best phone ever
It already is the best phone ever, Alarm just increases it's awesomeness to insane levels Any contribution is very welcome.

dropbox.com has a download limit at some point. That means if too many people start using your great packages, they won't be available anymore at all.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, I already had to move other stuff in there causing traffic to elsewhere. I think there are something like 5 users in total so I don't think we're hitting that limit just yet, and I've tried to keep updates at minimum (no new kernel if there are no notable changes, etc). Obviously if the user base grows this will become an issue.

tl;dr: keep going with that great stuff everyone, it's awesome!
Will do, and welcome to the community. Be sure to visit us at IRC.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Skry man tell me what's going on. I have broken emmc for a long time but when I started arch: everything is ok. I can clear mbr, create/mount partition, create files. On maemo I can't even see partition table, sfdisk draws: read error on /dev/mmcblk - cannot read sector 0. I want my emmc back - can I?

The Following User Says Thank You to riv64 For This Useful Post:
Hi all,
I've got arch installed, finally got a keymap working properly (which e17 refuses to use) but can't get wireless networking up. Every manager I try, netcfg, wicd etc always fail at the WPA auth bit. They connect to the ESSID ok but can't authenticate for some reason. Anyone came across this? I have wpa_actiond and wpa_supplicant installed.