Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post
Oof, sorry for falling off the thread there Smother. I ran into the whole 'n800 frozen at white nokia screen' problem and wound up having to reflash the device a couple times. That made me a little reluctant to sink more time into further experimenting with dosbox.

ArnimS: any thoughts on an OS2008 port and/or the mouse/stylus problem?
Thanks for asking - i pondered a bit and think i just invented a solution.

I would be obscenely grateful for such a fix.

At the high level it seems like an ugly patch should be pretty straightforward. But given the number of intelligent people that have been stumped, I figured there must be quite a devil in the details.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey ArnimS. What's the status on this still?

I refuse to upgrade to 2008 because Dosbox is such an awesome feature to have.

Also, what is this comparable to? I think I heard somewhere that it runs at the same speed as a 4.33 mhz computer. Is this close to being correct?

Thanks.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Okay, I've just discovered DOSBOX and been trying to follow the eight pages of threads.

I don't find xkbd after red pill mode, but I found xkbdbthid. Does this replace xkbd?

I can't seem to get the soft keyboard to pass through to the DOS command prompt in the startup window even when invoking on the command line together with a pipe "|".

http://pupnik.de/xkbd.html

I'm currently playing Nobunaga's Ambition 2 which runs like a dream using the custom keyboard I posted previously in this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Very much appreciated! I still have some problems to solve as the xkbd (default configuration) doesn't seem to pass through lower case letters, but the upper case and numeric work fine.

My intention is to get my old copy of Borland's Turbo Prolog running so that I can do AI (artificial intelligence) applications on my N800.

I hope that by the time I get that running, someone will have ported a variant of LISP which has a "Hildonized" interface.

My intention is to get my old copy of Borland's Turbo Prolog running so that I can do AI (artificial intelligence) applications on my N800.

I hope that by the time I get that running, someone will have ported a variant of LISP which has a "Hildonized" interface.
Okay. So I counted exactly 5 words in your post that mean nothing to me. Sorry.

All I can say is that I'm using the latest version of OS 2007 and it works better than I could ever hope for.

ArminS recently received his N810 in the mail so I'm expecting an update on his port hopefully within the next month.

If you can't wait until then, perhaps you should consider downgrading since I don't think it was compiled with 2008 in mind.

Just a thought.

Cheers dude.

Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
mkstevo;

Have you compiled Bochs for the N8x0 yet if so can you post it somewhere would save me some time as I was going to try and do it today....
Hello , sorry for not replying earlier . No I have not compiled Bochs for the N8x0 . The version I ran on the 770 was already compiled , probably for some other ARM based version of Linux as I don't have the required knowledge in Linux for that type of activity !

As you may have guessed , I am not using my 770 much (at all...) at the present . I am using my (new) ASUS EeePC instead . As this has an 'Intel Inside' , DosBox tends to be much happier , and more reliable for the things I want to do .

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I downgraded from OS 2008 to OS 2007 today to try this out on my N800. Thank you very much!

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
You can has dosbox on OS2008... just dpkg -i the deb from my site. Needs libsdl-net as usual.

I got my chinook sdk running and am trying to eke-out some more speed from dosbox right now.

Been testing a few 1988-1993 games with cpu=simple, frameskip 3, scaler=none, cycles adjusted during play (+/- buttons)

Test Drive II (ega/spkr) - ~5fps

Wing Commander (vga/sb16) - ~5fps but major music dropouts at std cycles, have to drop to ~600 cycles

Comanche (vga/sb16) - about ~1.8 fps without sound, ~1.2 fps with sound

Ultima 6 (ega/sb16) - about 4 fps, adlib sound problems above 900 cycles.

I'm also trying Doom -timedemo demo3 at fixed 2600 cycles, no sound but getting the same gametics reported despite widely varying speeds.

DosBox 0.72 (gregale) latest
1091 gametics in 9565 gametics = 3.99 fps @ 2600 cycles - but onscreen it looks to be about = ~2 fps, meaning doom's internal clock may not be accurate due to too high cycles(?).

DosBox 0.72 (chinook) gregale's ./configure and no cflags
1091 gametics in 9565 gametics = 3.99 fps @ 2600 cycles

DosBox 0.72 (chinook) new ./configure -mcpu=arm1136j-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp
1091 gametics in 9565 gametics = 3.99 fps @ 2600 cycles but actual fps is easily below 1 (WHAT??)
So i must be doing something very wrong with the new ./configure but i haven't discovered it yet. This project needs serious attention by a real ARM programmer.

edit ... found the problem (brand) new build runs wing commander at about 8 fps ... wooo...
grab the new build at http://pupnik.de/dosbox_N8x0.tgz let me know if it seems faster than the old one - ty

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-01-21 at 23:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post: