Posts: 131 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Europe
Is there any tool available to properly wipe empty storage space on N900, before you sell it or give it to someone else? I suppose that resetting it to default settings is one thing, which should be followed by some DoD compliant safe wipe.

The memory card is no fuss, as you can probably just put it into a card reader and use sdelete or similar on a Windows computer to wipe it. Could the same apply to the onboard storage (i.e. you connect N900 as "mass storage", and use sdelete on that "drive"), or is there a better solution?

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
rm -Rf /home/user/MyDocs/*

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
rm -Rf /home/user/MyDocs/*
Please don't do that, unless you're willling to spend time with this person fixing what's broken after applying your commands...

If you don't want to help, either tell him to RTFM, to google or to use search but please refrain from giving harmfull commands to people who might not understand the implications if they follow your advise...

Notice the word "properly" in the title?

What's improper there? The FAT32 partition is housed entirely in that directory. No data that resides there will harm the operating system if removed.

It won't remove installed applications or their saved preferences, but that wasn't what the OP was asking to do.

Folks should stop being so damned frightened of the command line.

Last edited by cddiede; 2013-01-03 at 14:43.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Step 1: Become superuser, issue command
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 && flash_erase /dev/mtd5 0 0 && flash_erase /dev/mtd2 0 0
Step 2: Reflash device

Step 3: Hand over device

Posts: 6,446 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
What's improper there? The FAT32 partition is housed entirely in that directory. No data that resides there will harm the operating system if removed.

It won't remove installed applications or their saved preferences, but that wasn't what the OP was asking to do.
It won't delete contacts and conversation history either, which is what you usually want to do when you are selling the phone. On the other hand, it will remove all directories, not just files in them, which means that the new owner won't be able to take pictures, browse or even download maps, and who knows what else.

If you want to just wipe the MyDocs partition then a better way is press and hold in File Manager->Format.

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-01-03 at 16:47. Reason: Typo: s/know/knows

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Folks should stop being so damned frightened of the command line.
I agree with that. However, the method to make people feel more secure is to give them understanding of their device.

Not sure the rm would have been up to the task, if you get what I mean.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It won't delete contacts and conversation history either, which is what you usually want to do when you are selling the phone. On the other hand, it will remove all directories, not just files in them, which means that the new owner won't be able to take pictures, browse or even download maps, and who know what else.

The OP didn't ask how to delete contacts or history. He asked how to delete the storage space. He even detailed how one option included formatting from a desktop PC using the Mass storage USB mount. The rm command I posted does exactly the same thing only easier.

Removing the directories from MyDocs harms NOTHING. All of the directories used by internal applications like maps and pictures would be automatically regenerated the next time those applications were started and instructed to write to the path name.

Where is the FUD coming from? Screwing with the MyDocs contents will delete media, but will not harm the N900's normal operation.

Agreed that rm -Rf is not the most fool proof method of data removal, even dd is not perfect if only run once. But this isn't a CIA laptop here, it's a phone and we shouldn't scare people away from simple to perform commands that provide a commonly acceptable method of data removal just because of blanket FUD like:
"Who KNOWS what could happen!!?!?!"

Head's up: We know what would happen. The data would be removed, and the N900 would still work. Get over it.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,446 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I tried downloading some maps via Nokia PC Suite. It claimed Nokia Maps was not installed on my device. The reason was that, not realizing its purpose, I had previously foolishly deleted the .qf file in MyDocs root.