That is for sure, at least for my country ( Romania ), meamo mapper is no good, i can't even find down town by searching for the name, what to think about the street I live on.

Why isn't nokia suporting gps on the internet tablets? nav4all.com is with the "cooming soon" for a few months, so no hope there.

I've searched the forum up and down, down and up; all I could see people that bragged about they cellphones that work great with gps, but no solution for the n800 ( they just wanted to say... they have a expensive phone..that was all ).

I would like a software like route 66 , tomtom even nav4all looked nice... JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
What about Wayfinder/Navicore together with a Bluetooth GPS module? It's an commercial application and costs money, but in my opinion, it's worth it.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
in roumania, you can get directions only from live.maps.com not from gmaps as gnuite does. if you have a server i can provide some sccripts that fecth a gpx file from mapps.live.com that will work in roumania

The Following User Says Thank You to iancumihai For This Useful Post:
ma gandeam ca ar fi mai ok ca gpx-ul sa fie pe mobil. Pentru ca cel putin la noi nu avem wifi peste tot.... so no internet.. no gps? decat daca ma conectez prin mobil.

si ca server, unul free nu e ok?

p.s. pana acum foloseam Ve Street, care seamana destul de mult cu live.

I had some problems in some little country towns in Brazil, so I'm using a small patch on maemo mapper to fix this kind of problem. Maybe it could help you.
http://labs.danilocesar.com/blog/200...perll-help-me/

The link is usefull, but I was talking more about finding a street name by searching for it.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mississauga, ON Canada
Yes, Google Map coverage of Romania is poor at best. See this link for worldwide coverage details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coverag...of_Google_Maps

As mentioned, your best best would probably be Wayfinder/Bluetooth GPS at this time. As for Tom Tom et al its not Nokia's fault. Those companies can develop for which ever platform they like.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
Originally Posted by blak View Post
ma gandeam ca ar fi mai ok ca gpx-ul sa fie pe mobil. Pentru ca cel putin la noi nu avem wifi peste tot.... so no internet.. no gps? decat daca ma conectez prin mobil.

si ca server, unul free nu e ok?

p.s. pana acum foloseam Ve Street, care seamana destul de mult cu live.
Mda, ai dreptate. I don't use my VEMAPS gpx server in towns or anything that needs to recompute the route on the fly. Most of the time in Bucharest i can find my way perfectly home/work/friends . But i do use it when traveling across the country (download the GPX and use it from start to destination).

Yes, i also use VEMaps (virtualearth) for displaying images.
I also like maps.yahoo.com, but i could not hack yet (i doubt i will have the time) to get a gpx from it. A pity since it has the best maps for Roumania.

Hopefully we will be able to use yahoo maps in maemo-mapper. But until then ...