Active Topics

So Tim, this testing still going on, do we have any more clues as to why Nokia can't get their head out to fix the "simple" bug in the code.

Come on this is totally ludicrous, no real company like Nokia should be bogged down to the point that they can't pull something together overnight.

Btw, this testing was done using a completely different method than what is posted in the email from maemo, so... If you keep trying it at the online shop URL that was sent to us, it will most likely never work. Further details will be sent when the US shops are ready to make transactions via the code.

Tim

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
No word yet. I do know that the maemo branch of Nokia is working very hard to resolve this. I'm not so sure that the US store is completely interested.

Everyone needs to realize that the maemo team is on our side and has been trying to make this work for a very long time. If you've never worked in a large corporation, you probably will never get this. I work in a company that has almost 20,000 employees. It takes nearly 30 days to get a laptop issued to a new hire, let alone a new process started at a retail store.

Sure, this is potentially infuriating, but give the benefit of the doubt to maemo. They have little to do with the overall processes of the Nokia Corporation and it's many online store organizations.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
No word yet. I do know that the maemo branch of Nokia is working very hard to resolve this. I'm not so sure that the US store is completely interested.

Everyone needs to realize that the maemo team is on our side and has been trying to make this work for a very long time. If you've never worked in a large corporation, you probably will never get this. I work in a company that has almost 20,000 employees. It takes nearly 30 days to get a laptop issued to a new hire, let alone a new process started at a retail store.

Sure, this is potentially infuriating, but give the benefit of the doubt to maemo. They have little to do with the overall processes of the Nokia Corporation and it's many online store organizations.

Tim
This is what I'm not understanding. It's a coupon code. The online stores already have the coupon functionality built into their checkout systems. Online stores have been using coupon codes for FOREVER. In this case, there's a limited number (500). Of those, a small fraction is in the US. Let's say there's 50 (doesn't really matter how many). Maemo sends LetsTalk.com (Nokia's U.S. partner) the list of 50 numbers and says, "For each one of these, give the customer the $479.99 product for $145 (plus shipping, etc), and we'll pay you $334 (479-145). You can only do this for customers that enter one of these 50 numbers.

Not sure why that's difficult. On the same token, however, I also do not understand why Maemo didn't just setup their own website (20 minutes) with a password required (delivered to the 500 via email) and then require one of the 500 codes to be entered during checkout. I feel as though Nokia's building these things and sending them out to anyone who wants them, other than Maemo.

I'm not trying to whine anymore, I'm just saying from an outsider looking in, it seems as though someone along the line is trying to make this ALOT harder than it seems. I almost feel as though Maemo offered the codes before getting permission from above, which would be foolish.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
As a canadian who had originally chosen france... i still haven't got any answers from store.nokia@nokia.com after realising that the site lists 2 addresses:

store.nokia@nokia.ca
store.nokia@nokia.com

The first one (.ca) is not working at all (no MX record) ... And that's after i got told by that 1-888 number on that same page to use the .ca email address... wonderful.

I really feel like i'm dealing with a bunch of amateurs here. Couldn't they just have a list of 500 peoples with a site where you could register live where you will get it from or some such... I really don't think this is getting anywhere, so either i get a crappy non-full-wi-fi with azerty from france (if that even works, using the family and waiting 6 months) or nothing! :-(

hoorray... (sorry i had to let the heat go)

Hey R-R sorry to hear that.
Have you tried sending a message to the maemo developer mailing list. I've heard that Quim has read some of the messages over there. Maybe he will see your story.
Also Pegiunbait seems to be in good with Quim and got his n810 for the US before anyone else here in the states (and hasn't provided details on how he did it.) But you might PrivMail him here and see if he could pass on your contact info to Quim.
Also timsamoff above seems to be in good with the Maemo team on this and might be able to provide you some connections.

Best of luck, and I bet you get yours before I get mine!!

-Shawn

The Following User Says Thank You to sfitz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
I'll still wait a bit to see if i get an answer from that email... quim actually answered my request on his blog thread but he seems to be the only one following this... He told me to contact the canadian store (story above/below).

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ry/013955.html
According to this, it should, in the end, work... I just hope i can order this before i leave in a month and a half.

Cheers and good luck!

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
The US codes work now... Or, I should say: During this morning's testing process I was able to buy an N810!

But, I'm thinking that maemo will send detailed instructions, because this was not done via the link the sent earlier. (In any case, I will ask them to send more detailed instructions.)

So, get ready to buy yours!

Tim

Update: The new instructions email has been sent! Go here to redeem your code:

http://nokia.letstalk.com/uqcLogin.htm

Last edited by timsamoff; 2008-01-22 at 13:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Just ordered mine, thanks!

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Aloha, OR
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
The US codes work now... Or, I should say: During this morning's testing process I was able to buy an N810!

But, I'm thinking that maemo will send detailed instructions, because this was not done via the link the sent earlier. (In any case, I will ask them to send more detailed instructions.)

So, get ready to buy yours!

Tim

Update: The new instructions email has been sent! Go here to redeem your code:

http://nokia.letstalk.com/uqcLogin.htm
Worked for me. Now I can re-enable my enthusiasm

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Same here, should be here by Thursday! (The LetsTalk.com warehouse is here in Fort Worth, so I may actually get it quicker.