Active Topics

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston, texas
I didn't have an issue installing MPD. It was right there in "installable apps".

I'll have a gander at that an MMPC once I get a free moment.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
There's one around somewhere, I know because I'm running it. I'll find it...

edit: Found it, just went to gronmayer.com/it, searched for mpd. Which is really a better place to start than the debian armel stuff... Anyway, add the repo by running this install file.
Benson: Thanks for pursuing this for me/us. I followed your instructions and got mpd to show up in the Applications Manager as an installable application, but unfortunately when I tried to install it, I got the message that the installation file was corrupted. Any further thoughts? Thanks and regards, Jim

This thread is about using the N800 as a PMP, so threads like "i don't really use my N800 for media" serve no purpose. I DO use my N800 for media. A lot. I have played mp4 videos created specifically created for the ipod and it played well. Search for ipod movie torrents. Torrents at thepiratebay.org play well. Divx files at joox.net all play well with mplayer. Files I encode play well, but self encoded files are highly variable. Sure, not all files will play but that is the case for every PMP. Even with a pc you might need to download a codec to play a video.

Mp3's play well for me. I use the default media player now that I don't have a lot of music, but I have used Canola and other media players. They all work well for mp3's and wma as well.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Benson: Thanks for pursuing this for me/us. I followed your instructions and got mpd to show up in the Applications Manager as an installable application, but unfortunately when I tried to install it, I got the message that the installation file was corrupted. Any further thoughts? Thanks and regards, Jim
Well, mine worked fine, and I think that's the repo I used, but let me try uploading a .deb... Let's see if this works.
Attached Files
File Type: deb mpd_0.13.0-3maemo_armel.deb (127.9 KB, 82 views)

Well, mine worked fine, and I think that's the repo I used, but let me try uploading a .deb... Let's see if this works.
Benson: I tried to install from the .deb file, but that came up with a message indicating that six lib files were missing. Did you have any further luck? Thanks, Jim

Don't know; what lib files? I'd try searching on http://gronmayer.com/it/ for repos providing them.

Don't know; what lib files? I'd try searching on http://gronmayer.com/it/ for repos providing them.
Benson: I went into Red Pill mode and found all six of the missing lib files listed, and was able to install all of them with the exception of one -- libid3tag0 -- which couldn't be installed because it too was identified as a corrupted file. Maybe it's this one which is preventing my overall installation of mpd! Oh, well. Thanks anyway for your help and guidance.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
This thread is about using the N800 as a PMP, so threads like "i don't really use my N800 for media" serve no purpose.
Surely you're not referring to my post. The point in it was blatantly obvious... and on topic, to boot!

i agree that there aren't any really good media players for n800. i wouldn't recommend the n800 if your main use is going to be media playback.

why can't you lock the screen in canola?!?!??!?!? that is so annoying.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ok, I decided to use my N800 as a portable media player tonight.

It was kinda by accident: I'm testing the latest build of diablo and was putting the browser up against the sites that usually give it fits-- like amazon.com. First page I hit has a big deal about their new DRM-FREE mp3 service. Whoo-hoo! Let's see how well this works on a tablet!

As a matter of fact, other than some occasional slowness, it worked great! I purchased 3 tunes, downloaded them directly to the tablet (bypassing Amazon's downloadable client app for either Windows or the Mac of course) and began playing. The experience was near flawless. One slight hiccup on one of the songs-- and that was after I copied it to a shared folder on my PC and played it on the tablet from there!

So let's sum up: easy access to media, no translation required, beautiful playback. Yup: great media player.