Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Viterbo (Italy)
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
When testing is in freeze there isn't much going on in unstable either, so a Sid image doesn't make much sense (at least now). But you can dist-upgrade your Wheezy image to Sid at any time as long as you take the precautions that always come with a dist-upgrade.
thanks for your reply. Sulu, does you upgrade with qemu, right?
p.s. Anyone can use last version of chromium (24.XXXX)?

If so, can you please post or link the source code in this thread?
I don't remember link to set-focus.c but I have sources.
Agreed! I did an armhf test my self some time ago (roughly at the time of the Wheezy freeze) but the result wasn't stable at all. In most (but not all) cases it resulted in a reboot right when an executable from the chroot was loaded.
Similar problems were with ubuntu >9.10. I think the reason was lack of "thumb kernel".
Attached Files
File Type: gz ed.tar.gz (720 Bytes, 76 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Can we discuss this in public please - either in this or a new thread?
Solutions in enclosed environments tend to get lost (if they are found there at all).
Ironically, my third N900's wifi/gps hardware broke down a day ago, so I can't work on my armhf image until I get a replacement (and I'm not entirely sure I want that, considering the fact I now have 3 handicapped N900) (also: usb networking causes my N900 to crash, even though it's supposed to completely bypass those chips. What the hell?).

I support your idea of making a new discussion thread for ED-images, though (along with linking to all finished images directly on the wiki).

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
gParted and glibc error:

Code:
[root@EasyDebian: /]gparted
======================
libparted : 2.3
======================
*** glibc detected *** /usr/sbin/gpartedbin: free(): invalid pointer: 0x40c67514 ***
I can confirm this behavior. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix it or what may be the cause.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
GIMP error:
Code:
(gimp:14480): Gdk-WARNING **: /build/buildd-gtk+2.0_2.24.10-2-armel-Vet_Aw/gtk+2.0-2.24.10/gdk/x11/gdkdrawable-x11.c:874 drawable is not a pixmap or window

(script-fu:14484): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error
Memory protection violation
I can confirm this too. And have no solution either.
There are multiple similar descriptions out there which all suggest a problem with glibc or scim.
When I first reproduced this error I hadn't even scim installed. So I installed it, hoping it was just a broken dependency. But the error remained the same.
If your suspicion is true that this is due to the semi-transparent font panel then it should occur with other gimp tools as well, right?
I also read somewhere that it might be related to the fonts used by the application. So if there's a way to change the fonts gimp uses this problem might disappear. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do that.

Originally Posted by gm90_blackmamba View Post
Sulu, does you upgrade with qemu, right?
Right! My N900's watchdog is way too snappish for larger upgrades (even with using nice and ionice). Others seem to be more lucky. So I'd suggest to make a backup of your image/partition and try the dist-upgrade directly on device. Since at the moment the differences between testing and unstable are quite marginal due to the freeze it should work. If your device reboots nevertheless, try to do it on another computer (another armel-capable device without a watchdog would be ideal, but since I have none I use qemu).

p.s. Anyone can use last version of chromium (24.XXXX)?
I tried version 22.x some time ago, but something is broken in chromium's armel/hf build.
I filed a bug report [1], but since its severity is only "important" I expected that it won't be fixed during the Wheezy freeze.
It might be helpful if somebody who has another armel/hf machine could reproduce the problem and add info to the bug report.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=696196

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Right! My N900's watchdog is way too snappish for larger upgrades (even with using nice and ionice). Others seem to be more lucky. So I'd suggest to make a backup of your image/partition and try the dist-upgrade directly on device. Since at the moment the differences between testing and unstable are quite marginal due to the freeze it should work. If your device reboots nevertheless, try to do it on another computer (another armel-capable device without a watchdog would be ideal, but since I have none I use qemu).
bug=696196[/url]
can you give me an easy guide to use qemu and debian image? i've tried to mount it several time without positive results, thanks for you reply and time

p.s. In my case if i try to upgrade with chroot it reboot but if i upgrade with synaptic e with no more than 30 packages at one time works fine.

I tried version 22.x some time ago, but something is broken in chromium's armel/hf build.
I filed a bug report [1], but since its severity is only "important" I expected that it won't be fixed during the Wheezy freeze.
It might be helpful if somebody who has another armel/hf machine could reproduce the problem and add info to the bug report.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=696196
I tried 25.x and crash too

p.s. In my case if i try to upgrade with chroot it reboot but if i upgrade with synaptic e with no more than 30 packages at one time works fine.
You should try this.

Originally Posted by elros34 View Post
You should try this.
thanks i already try this method but if i upgrade by chroot the phone reboot anyway, unfortunatly synaptic e no more than 30 package is the only right way for me

can you give me an easy guide to use qemu and debian image? i've tried to mount it several time without positive results, thanks for you reply and time

I tried 25.x and crash too
Well I can't speak for Sulu but, in a nutshell, this is how I do it (under Debian Squeeze):
Code:
sudo mkdir -pv /mnt/somewhere
sudo mount -v debian-something.img.extX /mnt/somewhere -o loop
sudo cp -v /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /mnt/somewhere/usr/bin
sudo chroot /mnt/somewhere
Simply adjust "/mnt/somewhere" and "debian-something.img.extX" to suit your needs. Also you'll need to have at least qemu-user-static and binfmt-support installed for that to work (maybe more), use your favorite package manager to install them beforehand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zaerc For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would welcome a list of finished, stable images, as well.
I would like to update the list available on qole.org/files and the official Easy Debian installer.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure if anything changed re stable images, since squeeze things, that you've already put into your filecache and installer (thanks!).

All work done afterward is about Wheezy - while those images work great, there are still some hard-to-hammer issues, like libgcc (see gParted problem) and GIMP segfaults while on text-insert mode.

If you consider image with above (and AFAIK, only above) flaws, + Chromium from Squeeze (due to upstream armel bug, not related to ED, and not likely to be fixed during Wheezy's freeze), I'll gladly prepare it (it have /home/user separated already, should work out-of-the-box).

Otherwise, I'm afraid nothing new will appear untill Wheezy enter Stable, and anyone cares to fix bugs pestering us in mainstream (and/or some ingenious person will have idea WTF is with glibc and GIMP on our side). Then, we will have oh so-much-fun with backporting those changes to Wheezy, either on our own, or just by using wheezy-backports (if available for buggy bits).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze