Active Topics

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I'm not sure how I've heard before from people working at Jolla it's supposed to be "Dzholla".
Sorry, didn't know that. I just always assumed it was "Y"olla, as it's a company from Finland. Then again, they're Unlike, so maybe it's both.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Why is their own CEO pronouncing the name like "Y-olla"? I always thought it's supposed to be "Dzh-olla".
I remember that in one early Jolla appearance (Devaamo Tampere, Sept. 2012), their CIO after spelling it like "Yolla" corrected himself and said that "Dzholla" was the way they decided to pronounce it, but probably the Finnish word root make even them slip easily back to the "Yolla" form.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
same ol' same ol'......
by the time this comes out everyboy else will implement all the good stuff from sailfish
it's like Elementary OS, by the time it comes out of beta, support for 12.04 LTS will be over.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
just found that sailfish SDK binaries has been released for winblows and MacOSX too

That was news for me atleast not sure when this happened?

I am running linux myself so I dont care much but good for others

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
just found that sailfish SDK binaries has been released for winblows and MacOSX too

That was news for me atleast not sure when this happened?
I just downloaded both Linux 64bit and Win version with wget (so to preserve the original timestamp)
Linux version is stamped as Feb 25 16:37, Windows is still hot from the press: Apr 4 14:28

Their site really needs to make some news feed (RSS would be useful as well).

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Their site really needs to make some news feed (RSS would be useful as well).
I get the impression jolla don't like news. They don't reply want to be seen or heard. They like to work on silence and never be disturbed, which is good in away but not when it comes to marketing and visibility.

I've said all along that need to promote the new stuff to the users and to the world. Make sure as many as possible knows when they release stuff, even small things.

The windows and osx SDK is a great thing becouse it can give them new users and supporters. Jolla, please pump up the volume.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-04-05 at 05:25.

Well, Jolla was in the news today when Tomi Ahonnen discussed the role of Sailfish in the smartphone OS competitive landscape.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnsha...-stranglehold/

I liked what he had to say about Sailfish targeting the high end market. This community deserves a high end device.

I'm not sure how that will play out given the modest manufacturer and carrier support, but I imported my N9, and I'd import a Sailfish phone, too. It's still wait and see at the moment.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Sorry, didn't know that. I just always assumed it was "Y"olla, as it's a company from Finland. Then again, they're Unlike, so maybe it's both.
At the Slush event they pronounced it strangely:

-All finnish Jolla people pronounced it like english speakers; "dhzolla".

-All non-finnish Jolla people pronounced it perfecly like finnish speakers; "yolla".

Wierd.

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?