Posts: 73 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
I had problems with the touchscreen with my N900 as well. One day I could no longer put my pin in the lockscreen. In my case it was most probably moisure in the contacts of the digitizer, since the solution turned out to be: disassemble the digitizer, clean the contacts, and assemble back. The really hard part for me was taking the tiny screws out :-( So if you are attempting that, first go find some good A00 tools and search for the N900 service manual in this forum.
Thank you, I'm going to try that ; what do I have to lose ?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by xaccrocheur View Post
Estel, what do you think of this ?

Can you match this price ?
It is out of stock and that might mean it will not be in again. I hope not as a new Nokia touchscreen seems reasonable at that price.

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
It is out of stock and that might mean it will not be in again. I hope not as a new Nokia touchscreen seems reasonable at that price.
New genuine N900 digitizers for that price would be IDEAL, but it's an utopia, today. Said site is out of stock for +- ages, so I'm afraid, that they will never offer them again (after all, no one produces genuine N900 digitizers, anymore, so no stable [any?] source of new ones).

Originally Posted by xaccrocheur View Post
Estel, what do you think of this ?

Can you match this price ?
19 pounds + shipping? i'm pretty certain I can, this, or even little lower for a used, good condition one (with some visual flaws, but either all of them outside screen draw area, or very minor ones on that area), perfectly working from technical point of view, of course.

I'm putting a strong emphasis for scratches (or absence of) on "draw area of screen" - outside draw area, most digitizers have pretty strong scratches, as, most of the times, even protector foils doesn't cover that area very well. It shouldn't matter much, though.

After returning home (on monday) I'll visit said shop, and check exact prices. I'll even try to take some photos of visually flawed digitizers (if it turns out, that it's doable - many times, scratches visible on digitizers by naked eye, are impossible to expose on photo).

Meantime, try other things suggested here, maybe your old digitizer will come to life, after all? I'll add my method, too, although be warned - it's last resort thing, that should be used only on digitizers, that you don't have anything to lose with. It have low chances of success, but helped me with two or three faulty digitizers:

You need a plastic (or, rather, gum one?) sucker, the kind of things used sometimes on kitchens or bathroom to create a removable hanging point on wall. You suck it on center of the screen, then pull it, like wanting to remove it by force. You need to apply quite much of pull force (but not too much, be rational - you don't want to rip screen apart). After finished, you remove sucker the "proper" way (by gently rolling-out one of its sides, nullifying vacuum zone).

As said, it's crazy method, but sometimes worth to restore digitizers, that were pressed too hard by something at one place (for example, by something in pocket), and tends to pivot touches into one area (or even register all touches as that area ones).

To determine, where (and if at all) is "center" point of unnatural touch pivoting, you may want to run sketch program (or MyPaint). If it's near one of screen's edges, it may be wise to use sucker there, instead of absolute center.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
digitizer, nokia n900, screen dead