Notices

If you want to make the the inbuilt chess game not a total POS, remove the autopause function. There is nothing more annoying than studying the board then after 20s the screen goes paused with the associated 5 second delay.

It is chess FFS. It does not need to pause, if I turn away I am not going to miss any of the action.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I think this material should be part of CSSU.
I disagree. If this software will run fine on older releases of Maemo, I don't see why it should be tied directly to CSSU; I think all users would benefit from access to open versions of their apps, not just the CSSU users.
Funny. I read ivgalvez's suggestion as, "this should replace osso-chess in CSSU". Not that it should be exclusively for CSSU users only.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Funny. I read ivgalvez's suggestion as, "this should replace osso-chess in CSSU". Not that it should be exclusively for CSSU users only.
Exactly.

10chars...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
thanks new icons are cool!

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicholes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Can you post the graphic icon?

I would like to change mine as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Hmm. Alright, in that case, I still disagree. Mainly, because Libre Chess is not osso-chess. Two points:

(a) If the CSSU is intended to provide bug fixes and upgrades for code that was previously supplied by Nokia, then by removing one of those packages from CSSU, you ensure that it never receives any more fixes... (And heck, if osso-chess really is unnecessary, wouldn't it be better to just kick it out of the CSSU entirely, freeing up space and time for work on other code?)

(b) If Libre Chess is already going into the standard Maemo app repository, why go through the extra maintenance effort of adding it to a second distribution channel? (And it's a distribution channel that touches all the same users as the standard repository, for that matter.)

I'm not trying to stop anybody from actually pushing Libre Chess into the CSSU, I'm just saying that it seems unnecessary...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hmm. Alright, in that case, I still disagree. Mainly, because Libre Chess is not osso-chess. Two points:

(a) If the CSSU is intended to provide bug fixes and upgrades for code that was previously supplied by Nokia, then by removing one of those packages from CSSU, you ensure that it never receives any more fixes... (And heck, if osso-chess really is unnecessary, wouldn't it be better to just kick it out of the CSSU entirely, freeing up space and time for work on other code?)

(b) If Libre Chess is already going into the standard Maemo app repository, why go through the extra maintenance effort of adding it to a second distribution channel? (And it's a distribution channel that touches all the same users as the standard repository, for that matter.)

I'm not trying to stop anybody from actually pushing Libre Chess into the CSSU, I'm just saying that it seems unnecessary...
Generally, I think that if something can be distributed via extras-*, we shouldn't mess CSSU. Especially as extras-thumb is said to be planned. In CSSU each and every update would need work of other people, afaik.

Aapo: are you thinking about portrait UI for libre-chess.

OT: There's nice Harmattan chess, Jose Mobile. But there's a problem with running it (guess too old QtComponets). You might want to do something with this Qt Components 1.3 build. It works, still it's buggy: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88513. If it works, (it's open) you might reuse something of it.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Why would a chess game be included in CSSU? If people want chess can't they just install it from the repos?

I understand why Nokia included some games in their image, but with the way the system is supported now, why would we (the community?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
Why would a chess game be included in CSSU? If people want chess can't they just install it from the repos?

I understand why Nokia included some games in their image, but with the way the system is supported now, why would we (the community?)
Agree. Let libre-chess be in extras, for all versions of Fremantle, uncluding thumb when extras-thumb is opened later. Operating system doesn't have to include file explorer, internet browser, chess and other games inside it; people install it if they want to use it. Though, MicroB is needed for many applications, such as Nokia-maps, Conversations, and others, as the browser-engine. But games, like chess, are optional, and belong in extras. Maybe, somebody likes checkers, and not chess; the option to have a chess-free operating system has to be offered.
Best wishes. Thank you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I have contacted the author about license.
Origin of pieces are now tracked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_piece -> License: GFDL & BSD & GPL

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Aapo: are you thinking about portrait UI for libre-chess.
I don't currently have more plans about this game. I can maintain package if somebody modify code or data.

Last edited by AapoRantalainen; 2013-04-24 at 17:48. Reason: typo fixed

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:

Tags
chess, nokia n900