Active Topics

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Austria
Since this seems fitting here: Most of the time the N9 really is fun to use and everything is just fine, but sometimes I just hate:

1) The connection bug - nothing more annoying then waiting for a webpage to load or mails to sync, only to find out that it will never happen (even though the wifi/3G icon indicates otherwise)
2) The mentioned battery bug, alltough this mostly happens to me when I'm traveling (i.e. switching from a lot of idling in from power saving mode to 3G and full usage)
3) Opening maps and having to wait rather long before it even responds to my input (hello search bar.. wake up..)
4) Random stutters and even freezes - especially when trying to really make use of multitasking (idling apps are no problem of course.. but even a simple mail- and calendar-sync can ruin my web browsing or sms typing experience).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N9uwu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@snowboarder, I had exacty the same problems as your 1, 2, 3 with a completely different phone (<rant>Treo 600 - much as I love my N900 and have completely switched to using it exclusively and even bought two more for spares, I still consider Palm OS the master of all mobile OSes in terms of stability and usability... and that's despite the fact that Palm OS is loosely based on Mac OS which I despise</rant>).

The symptoms included:
* Distorted voice heard by the other party during a phone call
* Random reboots, usually upon answering a phone call
* Long time to send and sometimes fail to send an SMS

The phone was working fine as a PDA, lasting a week on a single charge. The battery still showed 76%. Then suddenly - rrrrriiiiiiiing, I answer... and - BANG! Reboot. After a while I could not use it as a phone when the battery showed less than 90%.

So I got a new battery and everything worked perfectly again for another 3 years and would still work fine now if I had not switched to my N900.

I know you dismiss the idea that this is a battery problem but I assure you that it is. You say you've replaced the battery. May I ask you where you got the replacement? A Nokia shop or an eBay seller from China?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
...the fact that Palm OS is loosely based on Mac OS
Really? I'd be happy to be corrected, but I suspect that news might surprise Jeff Hawkins who lead the team that initially developed Palm OS, and Kadak, the company that provided the RTOS kernel that Palm OS was based on in versions 1 thru 4. Or perhaps you are referring to Palm OS Cobalt - which was based on BeOS, again nothing to do with Mac OS (or OSX)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
This is off-topic but the .prc file structure used in Palm OS is a simplified Mac structure, with data and resource forks and resource trees in resource forks. That might well be where the similarity ends but that is quite enough for me not to like it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Hm.. I have a few issues with the N9, too.

1) Drive - Every time I open this app it will not get past the loading screen if I keep it as the active window. If I swipe it over to my open apps section then it will finish loading. It is not an issue of patience, as I have tested and it simply will not finish loading the app unless I swipe it to Multitask first.

2) Email password authentication - my yahoo address on/off has problems where the phone keeps asking me to put in the password. The password is correct and painstakingly verified. I even changed the password after a while to be certain. HOwever, it's a crapshoot whether the phone accepts the password or not. Maybe there is a setting I need to change, but for now I had to deactivate that account on my phone.

3) QGVDial - 3rd party app for using Google Voice. Similar to above, sometimes it just doesn't believe my password even though I know it is correct.

4) Keyboard stutter with Swype - When I first open up a message/email Swype will be very slow sometimes and seemingly deletes the word I have been trying to type.

5) Keyboard missing with swype - If I open a message/email sometimes I am unable to reply because the keyboard refuses to come up. This MAY be a swype issue, but it is difficult to tell as I cannot switch the keyboard until the keyboard tray loads up. I suppose I could check the settings section and try do it there, and will try that in the future.

6) Slow settings menu - there is a delay when loading up settings and trying to get into the deeper sections.

7) Unreliable battery indicator - I have had days where the phone switches off due to lack of battery, only to desperately try restarting the phone later and finding out that apparently there was plenty of battery left. I believe this may be due to adding some juice here and there throughout the day.

The Apps I have and may be causing issues are:
(games)
(never use)

2g/3g
Accuweather
Angry Birds
Anti Mosquito (I know.. gotta ditch this thing)
AP Mobile
Aura
Battery-Usage
Bord
BreakBubbles
CityScene
CloudGPS
Colour Blocks
Compass
currency Converter
CuteMeter
cuteTube
Disks
Drive
Electric-Beams
Facebook
Filebox
Firefox
FlashPlayer
FlightMode
FM Radio
fMobi
Galaxy on Fire 2
geeps2
Gtalk Video Call
Heebo
Maps
MeeScan
MemoryIQ
NFS Shift
Nokia City Lens
Nokia Music
Nokia Public Transport
Nokia World Gaze
Organizer Feed
Panorama
Pianorama
qgvdial
Real Golf 2011
Reboot
Recorder
ResourcesMonitor
Reversi
SciCalc
ScreenshotMee
Self Timer
Sigma Player Free
Simple Mirror
Speedtest
Spotify
Spoton
Stack the Stuff
Store
SwipeMeeOut
The Flashlight
The Incredible Circus
TogglePSM
TranslateAll
Twitter
user guide
Vimeo
Wazapp
xms-qt

Last edited by original_z; 2013-06-27 at 16:28.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Where the HECK do you get new N9 devices today?

All those problem I don't have. Looks like you got an china copycat phone....

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nope. Had 6 of them. All behaved the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by N9uwu View Post
Since this seems fitting here: Most of the time the N9 really is fun to use and everything is just fine, but sometimes I just hate:

1) The connection bug - nothing more annoying then waiting for a webpage to load or mails to sync, only to find out that it will never happen (even though the wifi/3G icon indicates otherwise)
2) The mentioned battery bug, alltough this mostly happens to me when I'm traveling (i.e. switching from a lot of idling in from power saving mode to 3G and full usage)
3) Opening maps and having to wait rather long before it even responds to my input (hello search bar.. wake up..)
4) Random stutters and even freezes - especially when trying to really make use of multitasking (idling apps are no problem of course.. but even a simple mail- and calendar-sync can ruin my web browsing or sms typing experience).
connection bug are you sure thats because N9? I asked I few people around me about similar problem on workmobile, my N9 often disconnect streaming radio, and others workers has Android and Iphones. ALL has similar issues with same Op.

People definitivly expect to much from our mobilephones when it instead is related to operators bandwidth etc...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-06-27 at 17:48.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Nope. Had 6 of them. All behaved the same.
By any chance, did you record the HW revisions of the devices you had, and what was the MFG site for them?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
No big problems here, i had 3 , all from Fin, they all been OCed and 2 are sold now, 1 left still works like a charm, so i guess its a personal experiance and not general .