Notices

Closed Thread
@dburr
I do know about the 770. And you will get Canola2... however you have to accept that the 770 is not the primary focus anymore. So why should others have to wait ?

Originally Posted by handful View Post
I would like to hear from you: Do you think is better to wait a little bit more and have a global update with all the features working or..
Marcelo, I'm a 810 user so the 770 functionality isn't important to me, but I appreciate you wanting to get that right. Even though I would love to have the update today, I think that you need to be comfortable with the release before making it.

Thanks again for all your work on Canola, it's definitely my killer app for media. All the others that I have tried don't even come close.

Thanks,

Mark

For respect to 770 users I would say wait until is done, but since the Canola team is going to release versions frequently is worth it release this version as it is and let the users find bugs and report them.

Why cannot release the actual version and then when the bugs will be fixed release another more?

Many of us want to help your team with bug hunting, isn't folk?

Well, I'm going to bed it's already 31th, here in Japan we are living one day in the future

See you tomorrow and hope to find a little surprise in the morning

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
@dburr
I do know about the 770. And you will get Canola2... however you have to accept that the 770 is not the primary focus anymore. So why should others have to wait ?
So why should others have to wait ?

Because one day your device won't be the primary device either. We are either going to be a community that sticks together for the good of ALL, or only cater to those privledged enough to own the latest and greatest. What would you like to happen when your device is no longer the latest and greatest??

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I say release now working versions and try to fix the 2007(HE) one.
If the bug is somewhere lower in libraries (as you suggest), there is a great chance that a new release of faulty library is needed and that can take days or weeks for Nokia. (if ever)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
dburr10085: if you have noticed, they try to fix the version for 2007HE too, so it is not about separating the community. (If I remember correctly, version for n770 was not even planned from the beginning.)

Actually, if one thinks about it, there will be quite a lot of irritated chinook users, who has to wait. So the community will split IF canola is not released soon :-)

Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post

Because one day your device won't be the primary device either. We are either going to be a community that sticks together for the good of ALL, or only cater to those privledged enough to own the latest and greatest. What would you like to happen when your device is no longer the latest and greatest??
I honestly wouldn't care. It's nice if you still get support/software/updates etc for your device once it's a bit older (and in the IT world devices become old very fast). But i think the focus should alway be on the latest, don't leave out features/functionality because they wouldn't work with old devices. This kind of thinking is exactly what got Microsoft stuck with that unmaintainable piece of $%&/ called Windows.
I mean here it is not even the case that 770 users are left out, they'll just have to wait a bit longer. But i think if everybody else had a chance to already testdrive the new release and find/report bugs, 770 users would profit in the end as well. (And they don't profit one bit from a general release).

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post

Understood, yet this is the way of device support in general, and Nokia has certainly made a good-faith effort to try and ease the pain of the users of older devices via the HE and support for issues and releases of new software like Canola.

The only problem with waiting for all OS versions is that it makes no sense to punish those who have devices that will work with it now, waiting for some future date when the old OS version is completed. If the situation were reversed and only the older OS versions worked you'd have the same whining, it'd just be from a different crowd.
As long as there is still a commitment to work the bugs out of the older OS versions I don't see a drawback in releasing immediately.

Larry

my opinion is to release now, without dbus fix.
disable podcasts for os2006 and os2007.

this way os2008 users will get updated canola2 and os2006, os2007 will get canola2 too (better crippled than none).

i as os2008 user, have to live with broken/unusable podcast downloads in recent version anyway.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
Several people have talked about punishing OS2008 and Chinook users. What about 2007HE users who haven't seen this application AT ALL yet? I would'nt say we are being punished, but you other users have certainly had more than we have.
We are not Microsoft - we shouldn't tell our users and supporters that just because they don't have VISTA, they are going to be left out. I expect better of Linux devotees. Linux is a community - we will not be infiltrated by Microsofts vision of "upgrade to the latest and greatest or be left out". Linux is a community - if you don't understand that, then you don't understand what Linux is about.

Closed Thread