Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I wouldn't so confident, 4G has gone MIA in all their official doco, despite being there before, so there's a chance they've gone with a different SoC.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
That's why I said "isn't necessarily a requirement", he seemed to be suggesting the same limitations may be true for Jolla's SoC.
IMO it's much less likely nowadays, especially for a Qualcomm SoC, but more info. is needed 1st...
Well, I may have mispresented myself there...

I did not mean to suggest that, my answer was that when Nokia made the N9 they had much wider possibilities backed up by the fact that they were the leading mobile device company at that time. They had possibility to put pressure to SOC vendors and get their way.

For Jolla it is the opposite case now, they need to use pretty mainstream technology at best, and it is fairly remarkable what they have been able to do in such a short time!

I find that the specification vs. price point tof the device to be spot on target, and anyone who is whining about it I consider uninformed from now on

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I wouldn't so confident, 4G has gone MIA in all their official doco, despite being there before, so there's a chance they've gone with a different SoC.
then it maybe these Snapdragon chip :

can't find any else snapdragon chip that is in 1.4Ghz dual core range

The Following User Says Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I just want them to hurry-up already & secure a licensing deal with just 1x major OEM/ODM...
My confidence in them to deliver on the hw front is diminishing, sw I've no doubts will be okay, hw not so much (& then there's the whole logistics dilemma).
I just hope the licensing deal they strike will include some "special sauce" closed bits, amongst those bits I hope is "TOH" API/components.
After that I hope they open as much of Sailfish as they can, keeping some "special sauce" bits closed ofc, so they still have a licensing/service model.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I did not mean to suggest that, my answer was that when Nokia made the N9 they had much wider possibilities backed up by the fact that they were the leading mobile device company at that time. They had possibility to put pressure to SOC vendors and get their way.
I addressed this "assumption" in an earlier post....

I find that the specification vs. price point tof the device to be spot on target, and anyone who is whining about it I consider uninformed from now on
Only a blind fanboy would make that call so early on, been there done that...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-20 at 07:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
But from this phone, we hear that they might opensource the UI. What about kernel drivers and all that. Will we be stuck as usual on the same old kernel forever that will have to be patched more and more by the community? Will we have the bits we need to have for instance decent android with voice calls, or it's just basically the same level of openness as previous maemo editions?
Now that the HW specs are more or less revealed, my concern is the kernel and releted development environment of the device.
  • What will the initial kernel release of the device be? If it is not 3.1.11, for example, will there be clear patches for the modified parts and drivers for continuity?
  • Will the kernel development environment require something like a VM or something like the scratchbox solution for Harmattan or will it be possible cross-compile the kernel straight on any linux distro? (because I'll be using debian propably anyway...)
  • Will there be some limitation in the device to use own-compiled kernel and modules, like on Harmattan?
  • Will there be something akin to Harmattan Closed-mode/Open-mode thing that restricts users from some parts of the device when running own kernels?
  • etc... what else?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Will the kernel development environment require something like a VM or something like the scratchbox solution for Harmattan or will it be possible cross-compile the kernel straight on any linux distro? (because I'll be using debian propably anyway...)[
WTF? It has always been possible to cross-compile, and to be honest, I can hardly think of any reason Scratchbox would be required...

Scratchbox (2) simplifies things. It does not complicate them.

I suspect there won't be any kind of Aegis-like thing. But I am not sure on whether all kernel modules will be open either.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
"*) Supported countries will be published...." I term was added for LTE support. And they did not remove this yet from specs info.

My concern is over camera quality & LTE support. No phone is perfect. And no manufactures can guarantee 100% customer satisfaction. I have no worries about software.

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

That bezel situation is starting to look much better.

Via: https://joindiaspora.com/u/jolla

vs old proto

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:

There was an interview with Jolla in the finnish newspaper Aamulehti today, it had a fact sheet which mentioned 4G support in it.

Couldn't find it on the net version of the paper but here's a video (in finnish) of Jolla in action.

http://www.aamulehti.fi/Kotimaa/1194...ma+toimii.html

Last edited by _Routser; 2013-09-20 at 10:59. Reason: link

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to _Routser For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by _Routser View Post
There was an interview with Jolla in the finnish newspaper Aamulehti today, it had a fact sheet which mentioned 4G support in it.

Couldn't find it on the net version of the paper but here's a video (in finnish) of Jolla in action.

http://www.aamulehti.fi/Kotimaa/1194...ma+toimii.html
Something's a bit quirky with your post, and the link isn't displaying. Direct link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXzhDLTcp1Q

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red