Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Well with a fresh reflash I finally got Canola to work, sorta. I got it to display the album arts and vid art, but for some reason it's not picking up or showing all the music I have, it shows the album then just a few songs but not the entire albums (all the songs), very weird, and I'm not about to reflash again, arg.

At least now it plays music and actually will download podcasts at least, haven't tried a vidcast yet, I'm in fear at this point.

The Following User Says Thank You to TTgowings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Flareup :

"ah well, I know it's beta an all but not good. maybe there should be a "not simple to uninstall" warning."

The problem flareup, is that is simple to unninstall, but if there's a mess of repositories, it will fail, thus is not a specific canola problem, but the way things are organized and user behavior.

We cannot predict every users's action :/

"my two pee on the thing - looks nice, bu without playlist creation/editing functionality doesn't really add fnctionality. video playback messed up and froze device, which is why I'm (attempting) to uninstall."

Yeah, it's a bugfix release, not feature release and features are coming.
Video playback froze? We have been listen for a couple of other users this, and there's a reboot warning (you need the engine to be replaced) so it could be that you had the old engine working, because the player of the video itself is either mplayer or the default media player.

But no worries at all, because maemo gives everyone choices, and they are in better shape then us at the moment that we are beta

1) default media player
2) ukmp (from konttori - it has the downloads, cover, and uses mplayer for playback )
3) kagu
4) mediabox
(what I really like is that they are all python like us ! )

We just can't let the platform lost users because of this =) =)

BR

@eaaronp : do you have mplayer? Mplayr takes care of the control.. so we cannot do much for now (we are investigating ways of improving our relationship with it)
but :
on video < and > should be SEEK not next and prev. Something is bugged.. we will fix it!

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Just installed Canola2 on fresh OS2007HE N770

When I play the included Discovery video the video opens in small dimensions in the top left corner of the screen, not in the black square in the centre of the screen

The application is also unusably slow.

I have to sit and wait several minutes when opening picture/video/song list (each has 2 or 3 items only) and for example if i look at my images i have to click the next image, wait 5 mins, see image, click next, wait 5 mins etc.

The initial loading (after canola opens) also takes a logn time

Last edited by Denvar; 2008-02-03 at 01:37.

Marcelo,

Thanks to you and the Canola team for this release. I look forward to the day when it is feature complete, but it seems that there is enough working to make it a viable media app.

I have had a couple of issues:

When I had Canola-Tuning pull album covers it put the same cover on all of the Podcasts I had saved in my Music folder (the cover for LUGRadio, which if you are going to pick a Podcast picture to use is a good podcast, but not what the Podcasts actually were.)

I got this error:
IO error (errno 21): Is a directory
trying to download this podcast: http://feeds.waywordradio.org/awwwpodcast
but had success with all of the other podcasts I tried.

I have one album that I ripped with soundjuicer, that is not showing up in Canola. It is an mp3, and the info shows up on my desktop. Not sure why I can't see it in Canola. All of my other music seems to appear.

And I have a few questions/feature requests:

-How do I tell if there are new podcasts to download without going to each podcast and checking?

-Can I mark a podcast as viewed/listened to, so when a new podcast shows up I know to go download it? (all of the podcast feeds I've added are showing episodes I've already downloaded with the feedreader, and I don't want to download them again)

-I would like to be able to create a playlist from my downloaded podcasts so that I can put a list together before I start driving. I have an hour long commute, and it is tough if a podcast ends to have to navigate to another one to start it playing (and dangerous).

-I also think it would be nice to have a list of all downloaded podcasts, so that I don't have to navigate to each podcast to see which I haven't seen/listened to, but have been downloaded.

Thanks again for the great work,
Hal

A few issues in the new beta

The first is the most major one, I think its on the tracker, but I wanted to reiterate it because of how important it is: when playing an album, the volume doesn't stick from track to track. When Canola moves to the next track, it puts it at full volume, and the only way to go back to the previous volume is to touch the slider. This is a HUGE issue for the many of us using headphones, I don't want to lose my hearing because my media player keeps increasing the volume all the time.

Secondly. I said this on another thread, but the cover art view doesn't work very well. Sure it looks very nice, but its very counterintuitive. Instead of going all the way from the left to the right, and then back to the left to go in alphabetical order, it should go up-down, then left to right. I know this is the opposite of how one would read, but it makes absolutely no sense to do all that scrolling from one side of the list to the other, and then have to go all the way back to the left to continue alphabetically.

Finally, the one internet radio station I actually use isn't working with Canola. The link is http://www.nj.com/ram/wsou/wsou.rpm but this is just a text file that links to the actual stream. The rpm doesn't work in the Maemo media player at all, but the actual stream does work. The stream that should work is rtsp://helix.nj.com/broadcast/njo/maggot/one.rm . However, Canola tells me that it can't find a feed for this stream.

All in all, great work though. Hopefully an FM tuner plugin will come soon

Marcelo,

Thanks to you and the Canola team for this release. I look forward to the day when it is feature complete, but it seems that there is enough working to make it a viable media app.
Thanks we are quite aware that important things are missing, but we need the continuos contribution like yours to make sure we are in the right path.

I have had a couple of issues:

When I had Canola-Tuning pull album covers it put the same cover on all of the Podcasts I had saved in my Music folder (the cover for LUGRadio, which if you are going to pick a Podcast picture to use is a good podcast, but not what the Podcasts actually were.)
Yes, I agree with you. For this I propose 2 things:
1) avoid your podcast to be scanned (but of course you may say you don't want to do that...) and then in next versions will you will be able to download a picture and pick from file to "apply" to a podcast....

2) maybe we can add to the edit form a "Apply image to this podcast" then you can also choose the best image for the task, but this actually is not that different from the first solution

I got this error:
IO error (errno 21): Is a directory
trying to download this podcast: http://feeds.waywordradio.org/awwwpodcast
but had success with all of the other podcasts I tried.
Looks like a bug. Can you open a bug in garage? When you open there, it makes a deeper contract with us, and bugs (more then features) are better to be there.. (features here)

I have one album that I ripped with soundjuicer, that is not showing up in Canola. It is an mp3, and the info shows up on my desktop. Not sure why I can't see it in Canola. All of my other music seems to appear.
Can you send me the files? I think I can add to the test and see if our scanner is missing. But AFAIK I think the latest version ever of id3 was not supported currently... maybe we will also need to improve this.

And I have a few questions/feature requests:

-How do I tell if there are new podcasts to download without going to each podcast and checking?

-Can I mark a podcast as viewed/listened to, so when a new podcast shows up I know to go download it? (all of the podcast feeds I've added are showing episodes I've already downloaded with the feedreader, and I don't want to download them again)
I placed this both together because we are including this in the next update: the ability to have a download view, dynamic playlist for podcast and this "not listened" or "new" states.

Also the playlist is going to be available maybe not on this one.. but in the second update. It seems simple but we want to make sure it's not only a playlist editor.. but a component that can be used by plugins.

-I would like to be able to create a playlist from my downloaded podcasts so that I can put a list together before I start driving. I have an hour long commute, and it is tough if a podcast ends to have to navigate to another one to start it playing (and dangerous).
The last part of the comment was about that. Actually I haven't think about playlist inside the podcast but this indeed makes a lot of sense. Of course if you scan your podcast folder.. you get them on music and then you can do a playlist with our planned support.. but maybe it's even nicer to have it already there.

-I also think it would be nice to have a list of all downloaded podcasts, so that I don't have to navigate to each podcast to see which I haven't seen/listened to, but have been downloaded.
yeah, this is also on the plan (dynamic lists) for current downloading, downloaded, new, etc...

Thanks again for the great work,
Hal
We also thank you for dedicating time to send us valuable feedback.

BR

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Just installed Canola2 on fresh OS2007HE N770

When I play the included Discovery video the video opens in small dimensions in the top left corner of the screen, not in the black square in the centre of the screen
Denvar, being very honest.. HE is by far the worst version to run canola on.. but...
We can try to make things a little bit less worst...so

1) make sure you have swap
2) install and update mplayer to it's latest more optimized version...

The application is also unusably slow.
Sorry for that. It's slow, but for what you're saying theres something else also making it slower.

But he's the point : canola uses some optimization not supported by the 770, and of course a lot of drawing routines.. and loading files (like thumbnails) takes more then it should.. but we can do magic. I have my Gregale (os2006) version.. and it works. it does have a little bit of "hicups" when playing video.. but the rest is usable. Really usable.. not like the n800 or n810 but ok.

I have to sit and wait several minutes when opening picture/video/song list (each has 2 or 3 items only) and for example if i look at my images i have to click the next image, wait 5 mins, see image, click next, wait 5 mins etc.
Yeah. this is for sure wrong.. something is really wrong :/

The initial loading (after canola opens) also takes a logn time
It should take more on the first first ime.. but after no more then 20 seconds...I know it's already a long time.. but..

So resuming: for sure you have something else going on.. but I will not lie, HE is complicated and we suffered a lot to release it. Unfortunately We are not able to improve much more... and we are at least happy the gregale works "nice". Maybe you can try updating things and see what happens, but I would say :

Avoid heavy (better resolution videos) try not downloading more then 1 podcast at once (it really eats the CPU) and if you can... go to gregale ... =)

I will try to filme my version running on the 770 so you can have a baseline and tell me how much slower your's is.

BR

Is the UPNP support available now?

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by cycroft View Post
Is the UPNP support available now?
Unfortunately not yet, in the meantime if you want to get UPnP working on your NIT install Media Streamer as will give you a feel for how it will/would work in Canola with a suitable UPnP Server running on a NAS or PC. (I use Twonky and/or TVersity on my PC)

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cologne, Germany
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I have (btw anyway to quickly output all repos next time?)

Nokia Catalog
Nokia Catalog (3rd party software)
Use scp and get /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list from the device or use ssh to 'cat thefilehere'. Paste it. ;)

HTH,
Ben

The Following User Says Thank You to darklajid For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread