Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The specs are clearly NOT differentiating Jolla from the rest of the crowd. What will??

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
The specs are clearly NOT differentiating Jolla from the rest of the crowd. What will??
The OS and TOH?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Those of you who diss Android's multitasking, I suggest to just try one of the latests Android devices, for example Note 3, to see where Android is going.
That only works with large screen space. On smaller devices this is not very useful.

As you mentioned, background tasks are possible on Android, by creating a service. Yeah, at least it is possible, unlike other popular OSses, but it adds to the complexity of programming. Writing something like an SSH terminal becomes quite a bit harder.

I guess Jolla will maintain the normal Android behavior for Android apps. I can't see much benefit in keeping Android apps running in the background, as they are written (or at least should) to handle the suspend/run/suspend-sequence. An option to override this per app would be nice though.

But what about Android widgets? Can we forget about them? Or do we get to see a Sailfish app which hosts Android widgets?

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Why in the hell would I want widgets? I don't miss widgets on my N9.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Well, Jollas specs will be lower than the rest of the crowd. That's one way of doing it
The other way/half is offering a smooth system with good multitasking and a few unique features. It's a one of a kind unit (like N9, but more polished...hopefully) unlike all the common stuff out there.
I love underdogs and unique stuff. It's the oceans unicorn....the Sailfish!

Originally Posted by latency View Post
Well, Jollas specs will be lower than the rest of the crowd. That's one way of doing it
The other way/half is offering a smooth system with good multitasking and a few unique features. It's a one of a kind unit (like N9, but more polished...hopefully) unlike all the common stuff out there.
I love underdogs and unique stuff. It's the oceans unicorn....the Sailfish!
I still haven't heard what differentiates them. How will ordinary Joe and Amy know that this is THE phone

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I still haven't heard what differentiates them. How will ordinary Joe and Amy know that this is THE phone
I see where you're going. Joe and Amy likes megapixels, new exiting names of processors and seeing their future phone in commercials everywhere. Pretty sad, but only the dead fish follow the stream. Sailfish is not one of them and its followers aren't either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to latency For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Why in the hell would I want widgets? I don't miss widgets on my N9.
quite right. never liked them on the n900.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
If you're looking for a cheap stop-gap take a look at the Huawei Ascend Y300, I got one for £60 and it's a surprisingly good phone. It would've been a bargain at twice the price.
at 60quid I can sell my nexus for 100 and buy the 8gb one. ive got a tiny samsung e1200. and it works fine for texting and calls so I can't complain

Originally Posted by latency View Post
I see where you're going. Joe and Amy likes megapixels, new exiting names of processors and seeing their future phone in commercials everywhere. Pretty sad, but only the dead fish follow the stream. Sailfish is not one of them and its followers aren't either.
Yes, you got to be a follower as nothing else differentiates this device for average Joe and Amy

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: