Active Topics

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Europe
In order to access files on my N900 from my "desktop" computer, I usually go with WinSCP, with SSHD running on my N900. How about if I want to access N900 files from another wireless mobile device (be it iOS or Android), what options do I have? Especially if I'd like to browse through the photos as if they were local, or even stream a video. Is it doable?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Also with applications, that support the sftp protocol, like Ghost Commander from Android. There are ssh capable Apps in iOS, but i am not sure if there is any outside of the Cydia repo manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Europe
I suppose setting up a samba server on N900 is also a possibility? I'm not sure if video streaming or browsing photos directly is possible via (s)ftp...

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by regulus View Post
In order to access files on my N900 from my "desktop" computer, I usually go with WinSCP, with SSHD running on my N900. How about if I want to access N900 files from another wireless mobile device (be it iOS or Android), what options do I have? Especially if I'd like to browse through the photos as if they were local, or even stream a video. Is it doable?
Investigate dlna / upnp server on the n900 and a player for the other end. There was at least 1 working when I last looked.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
I am using 'RemoteMultiDrive" app from ovi. Easy to setup and access.

The Following User Says Thank You to goodearth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
On a Linux box, 'sshfs' is a marvelous thing. It lets you locally mount a remote directory via vanilla ssh. There might be a port for Android/IOS