Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Is it true that Jolla will make the phone? I heard they are bankrupt??
Naw. Not bankrupt yet. Try again in a few months... maybe Jolla will have a share that threatens Windows Phone 8 in China.

Any takers for that bet?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Sure I'll take it.

WP doesn't have much of a share, but few months is still too short timeframe.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Sure I'll take it.

WP doesn't have much of a share, but few months is still too short timeframe.

RE: smartphone-numbers-china.jpg
I find it pretty unlikely that WP share will go up like on the above graph. No reason for it really, I'd say it has about peaked for now.

Reason: Up to now there's been just a trickle of WP devices other than Nokia Lumias; I mean, all I have ever seen are the single HTC & Samsung devices on display @ shops, I have never never ever seen anybody using one of those in real life.

Now when NMP --> MS, there will be no other manufacturers left who would ever again introduce a new WP device. No way, they just cannot compete with Microsoft, or would not want to.
So, Microsoft will be left as the only manufacturer of WP devices, there is not going to be a multivendor ecosystem ever.

I am willing to bet a lot the business is going to be a losing game for them. MS has got barrel-loads of cash to throw at marketing but in the end they cannot succeed in a free competitive environment. WP is just too, stiff, too difficult to succeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Now when NMP --> MS, there will be no other manufacturers left who would ever again introduce a new WP device.
No way, they just cannot compete with Microsoft, or would not want to.
So, Microsoft will be left as the only manufacturer of WP devices, there is not going to be a multivendor ecosystem ever.
That's a very big call, & one I reckon you're likely to be wrong about...
Android had only just started to hit it's stride when news of it's pending acquisition of Motorola trickled out, we didn't see all the vendors running away.
There was a small hit for a brief period, but that's it....
MS hasn't got anywhere near as much to lose, post merger I'm sure it'll find ways to keep OEM's interested, & to get new ones to come on-board.

I do agree though that they need to fundamentally change WP's rigidity, it was modelled way too heavily on iOS.
They need to move closer in approximation to Android, it seems they're well aware of that & have started moving in that direction.
Still, it's likely it'll always be too rigid for most maemo.org/Android users tastes...

Anyway, we digress.....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-25 at 08:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
they just cannot compete with Microsoft, or would not want to.
Surely a similar argument, given the existence of the Surface, could be used about W8 tablet. And yet there still plenty of manufacturers (a very quick check on Google suggests at least 15 apart from Microsoft itself) trying to compete there.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
there are to many jolla, linux, android fanboys on this forum. Its time to realize facts: Microsoft will for sure success in some way and I would not be suprised if other manufactors started to usd wp again simply because of MONEY. Now how many of those companys using android makes money on it? How much do they have to pay ms whe using android instead of wp? Yes android is free but that does not mean company makes more money when use it. It may very well b the case that they save money by using wp instead in longer run. When wp has "stabilized" and microsoft push more money to the SoC companys creating msonly drivers for nextge SoC.

it damn bussines logic, so dont be so naive by thinking android is the o ly future...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
there are to many jolla, linux, android fanboys on this forum. Its time to realize facts: Microsoft will for sure success in some way and I would not be suprised if other manufactors started to usd wp again simply because of MONEY. Now how many of those companys using android makes money on it? How much do they have to pay ms whe using android instead of wp? Yes android is free but that does not mean company makes more money when use it. It may very well b the case that they save money by using wp instead in longer run. When wp has "stabilized" and microsoft push more money to the SoC companys creating msonly drivers for nextge SoC.

it damn bussines logic, so dont be so naive by thinking android is the o ly future...
finally. someone who speaks sense. we can be religious about it but business is business and money talks!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
MS profit just jumped double digits again. They don't know what to do with their money. As soon as they get competent CEO, it will be hard to bet against them. Jolla......what is Jolla?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Nice to turn this thread into yet another OS vs OS thread. We have about 200 of them. I'm not judging but merely pointing out the fact.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
MS profit just jumped double digits again. They don't know what to do with their money. As soon as they get competent CEO, it will be hard to bet against them. Jolla......what is Jolla?
People buying popular stuff makes that stuff popular, but not necessarily good. I'm not that much interested in popular stuff, but more in good stuff.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red