Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
you dont need to flash emmc to get back to closed mode
you dont need to perform --erase-user-data
you can flash only fiasco image and you dont lose MyDocs data, userfs data including conversations, contacts and etc. (but lose all installed apps)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I was told it's a kind of joke

What it does, it just suppresses the warranty warning that flasher gives when you invoke it, ...
He he, nice one

@coderus
But .aegis and .accounts are on /home (p3). They will not be deleted on 'just' flashing fiasco, right? So how to do then? Again need to delete these dirs? Or are they not created when booting up on closed mode, enabling developer mode and disable warranty warning. Flash back to closed and again open mode (would not be necessary according to your post)?

p.s.: maybe we should open up a new thread for this, as it seems that there is still not a full proven theory?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-10-31 at 21:56.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
But .aegis and .accounts are on /home (p3). They will not be deleted on 'just' flashing fiasco, right? So how to do then? Again need to delete these dirs? Or are they not created when booting up on closed mode, enabling developer mode and disable warranty warning. Flash back to closed and again open mode (would not be necessary according to your post)?
Good point... Maybe those are overriden when firmware is flashed? The flashing is not "just" flashing, as the APE might do other things as well, for example delete/modify files not on the flashed partition.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
p.s.: maybe we should open up a new thread for this, as it seems that there is still not a full proven theory?
Well it should not be too difficult to test, just check the directories, content&timestamps, and then flash just firmware.bin and compare if anything changed.

Another indication should be if you need to re-enter passwords and account details after it...
Personally I have always flashed emmc+firmware if I needed to initialize the device, so I would not know...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
just remove .accounts folder. its enough. as common user you will never get profit after removing aegisfs mounts.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Personally I have always flashed emmc+firmware if I needed to initialize the device, so I would not know...
Mee too , that's the reason I asked again...

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
just remove .accounts folder.
You mean remove contents of .accounts folder, not whole directory, right?
Personally I am running my device that way atm (having removed contents of folders .aegis .accounts and .activesync).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-10-31 at 22:30.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
just remove .accounts folder. its enough. as common user you will never get profit after removing aegisfs mounts.
That works for the problem with user accounts and passwords, but there are other things that are left hanging.

I do not know exactly what is the reason, but these things affect especially unit startup when Harmattan is ran as 2nd level boot under ubiboot.
If the device is not correctly prepared, there's going to be a lot of process trashing in startup, and some devices / variants are more susceptible to this. In worst case it means that device will not boot, or will do so slowly or not every time.

If this procedure is done like I described, then this will not happen, the device will boot cleanly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
After read, i decided to flash my n9 again..

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Well, ubiboot could find & load the kernels OK, that's clear from the log. Next step is the kexec() after which it is the 2nd stage kernel that is in charge of things, not ubiboot any longer.

Usually when the kernel loads OK but fails to boot there are 2 possible easy faults (and some more difficult)
The easy ones are, either something wrong with modules, or something wrong with init.

Assuming you have booted the same kernels before with earlier version of ubiboot, then the modules must be correct.

Can you check from your ubibot.conf that the preinit for harmattan is correct? It should propably be:
G_OS2_INITSCRIPT="\/sbin\/preinit_harmattan"
And check that you have /sbin/preinit_harmattan there and that it is executable.
(BTW, did you change your preinit or are you using the same as before?)
Hi,

First, thank you so much for this marvelous piece of software. It is not only functional, it is pretty and makes not only N9, but open source software in general look better.

I installed it 2 days ago following the instructions in the wiki page, but it didn't work reliably. The simptoms were similar to the ones TMavica is reporting, but sometimes (< 10%) the system booted. So I found the post quoted above, and checked:

Code:
# ls -l sbin/preinit*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10661 Set  7  2011 sbin/preinit
-rw-r--r-- 1 1010 1010 10661 Out  4 01:25 sbin/preinit_harmattan
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1010 5001  5752 Fev 28  2013 sbin/preinit_nitdroid
I never edited, chmoded or chowned these files, so this is how they were inside preinits.tar. The problem is not that the files belong to an inexistent user, but that preinit_harmattan is not executable. After fixing this, now I can boot successfully all the time.

Please fix preinits.tar!

Now I would like to edit the "info" menu option, can someone point me to a post/document/readme that show me the way?

Thank you so much again!

Edit: also, md5sum of preinit_harmattan is wrong in the wiki.

Last edited by traysh; 2013-11-01 at 02:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traysh For This Useful Post:
I flashed the plain open kernel and its booting fine, i added kernels and got nothing to boot at all, NITDroid wouldnt and no kernels for Harmatten would boot, i added the open kernel and even just letting the device go on its own to boot would just black screen and shut down as it appeared but I would need to hold power 8 seconds and then hold power again for it to reboot, I DID get the menu however and could see the OS's and when I had the phone plugged in to the computer on boot it did go in maintenance mode

I have never removed the openboot warning, could that be a reason why i can not boot any kernel? i am back to the openboot kernel and really want to get this working, I am not sure why nothing will boot