Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I wonder if these affect Jolla. Or microsoft get updates or exclusive features
Nope, at no point has any of the arrangement been exclusive, else MS would've successfully manipulated them once again, HERE is now a central part of their strategy going forward, they need to monetise as much as possible, & they need absolute flexibility for that. I've been following all the developments surrounding Nokia's future regularly/obsessively(?) @MNB, & there's been absolutely no hint that MS has it's tentacles on some kind of "exclusive arrangement", touch-wood.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-11-06 at 16:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
We knew this to be the case for a while now...
Yup, & I'm glad, it'd be silly if the were siloed into completely separate stores, so long as there's decent filtering I'm happy.

Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
]OT: I wonder what the ramifications are for dropping the phone. I hope the tabs holding the other half together are solid.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing the other day, it worries me...

It didn't seem like the phone was in a case. Maybe an other half could have a similar "case" built in to itself.
Nice idea, something to put to them directly....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-11-06 at 16:43.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Nope, at no point has any of the arrangement been exclusive, else MS would've successfully manipulated them once again, HERE is now a central part of their strategy going forward, they need to monetise as much as possible, & they need absolute flexibility for that. I've been following all the developments surrounding Nokia's future regularly/obsessively(?) @MNB, & there's been absolutely no hint that MS has it's tentacles on some kind of "exclusive arrangement", touch-wood.
Indeed. HERE people are actually at the moment used in Nokia's event as the forefront of the B2C Nokia.
It also shows by that HERE is being pushed to all possible platform. Jolla being prime example.

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I just got in and I can see a clear reference to .... HERE!!!

if you look at terms and conditions of the jolla harbour, then you can see for instance at the end (in the restriction part) a lot of mentions to HERE services, HERE Positioning services...

that is good news for me
This is great news! HERE has great API's and I was hoping these two would find each other.
I'm still not too hopeful at seeing some kind of full map suite from Jolla, but at least they have a proper source for the mapping data.

Can somebody show a example where HERE is mentioned?
EDIT: I guess they are in terms? Just can't enter the terms page at the moment.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-11-06 at 17:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
But do they use same maps for all versions? Don't like to be map outdated by device level. Jolla and windows have same maps right?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Yeah!

The HERE news, if indeed true, remove my biggest worry about the Jolla device. Which I of course preordered months ago anyway. Sail on!

i

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sorta odd to see how Nokia's HERE being so well received since it really got its start on Windows Phone 8 initially. I would have never thought anybody here really had tried it due to the platform.

But as it stands, good news is good news. Now, onward to release dates outside of Finland and China.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Sorta odd to see how Nokia's HERE being so well received since it really got its start on Windows Phone 8 initially. I would have never thought anybody here really had tried it due to the platform.

But as it stands, good news is good news. Now, onward to release dates outside of Finland and China.
Actually barring the last few updates to HERE on WP, the mapping experience was poorer than that on the N9 once factoring the traffic and auto day/night map enablers. So Nokia had always had a good mapping experience and I wouldn't be surprised if it's an updated Qt version for Sailfish which would not have been too difficult to develop from the N9 base vs having to do a new code base for WP...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Actually barring the last few updates to HERE on WP, the mapping experience was poorer than that on the N9 once factoring the traffic and auto day/night map enablers.
Yeah, WP only relatively recently became as good as Harmattan & perhaps surpass it...
Belle FP2+ was even more featureful than Harmattan, although IIRC even it's no longer more feature-packed overall.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-11-06 at 17:56.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
I'm willing to pay $75 for a Sailfish image that I can simply download and install onto my HTC One. Make a license deal with CyanogenMod or something. CM maintains a lot of support for various phones already.

If they don't do that it's going to get hacked onto so many Android phones anyways and CyanogenMod will get pressured more and more by the public to put Sailfish features on their ROM.

So CM buys license for compatibility layer and license for Sailfish OS and CM gets downloads profit.
If not HTC buys Jolla....

HERE is pretty damn good these days on Lumia. One big update behind the scenes has been less of a need for actual software updates for Lumia phones to get updated maps.
Nokia also moved from needing to update the whole regional map when map update is pushed, to them being able to push a single small update that just adds/fixes couple of streets and you wont need to update your whole ~1GB of map data in a result.

Though again lets remember that we are talking about map data provider here. It's another story how it will be all implemented on Jolla.

Nokia's HERE geared towards car manufacturers is built using Qt btw.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red