Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
I chuckled a little bit because it didn't surprise me that Jolla was going to lower the expectations after everybody read every single character (even in the HTML/JS comments) of the new website.

Having said that, what Jolla is saying doens't rule out the community's assumption that they will use HERE for maps, they just don't want to confirm it officially, even by staying silent about it (you know how some people assume that when somebody proposes A and nobody refutes it, then proposition A must be true).

Don't get me wrong - I want HERE (aka Nokia Maps), since basically they'd be implementing a locations/mapping/routing service that is very well proven.
I dont get why people takes for granted in the first place that Jolla will have an HERE maps app?

Jolla store is a place to store apps that 3party developers makes. And it has nothing to do with what Jolla will have as native apps?

But AGAIN people takes stuff for granted and Jolla community goes nuts...

For peoples info: Its not a news that that Qt has a HERE plugin support for QML (atleast for Qt4.8 Qt5 probadly in progress).

Actually Here is just a rename from NokiaMaps so we already use it on N9 and probadly can use it in nemo also as long as we can get an "APIKEY" from Nokia.

So MAY be the case is that Jolla has licensed "the key" from Nokia so apps released on the store can use HERE without license fees for developers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I dont get why people takes for granted in the first place that Jolla will have an HERE maps app?
I don't think anybody took it for granted, just speculation really, hence Jolla lowering expectations (or setting them elsewhere). HERE is mentioned in the T&C's (according to some - I didn't manage to get that far), so the rest is speculation.

Having the key free for developers, as you suggest, would be nice too.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yep, DO NOT take anything for granted. Its some professional speculation mode on community right now

Trust only stskeeps, thp, joerg and Marxian(unless hes posting images, they can't be trusted)

In fact don't even trust this message becauce there are many more trustworthy people around than I stated above.

so you are back at the same square as when you started reading this post.

Track down the sources becouse even jolla change the speach during the game, evolusion...and hopefully no one feeling tricked when Jolla finally launch...there is always someone. Always. Make sure it won't be you!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-11-07 at 19:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Agree with Dave999 - you never know, maybe we get an unanounced feature

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Still...

FLASH MUST DIE
Flash was way more than videos. I could discretely query databases, I knew it would work the same across platforms due to the plugin. People that think it was just videos, ads or other ******** really aren't people that knew anything about Flash at all.

I've developed games, mobile apps, desktop apps, web sites, a cms, a gallery, some educational software that used QR codes (I know, right?) to login for students too young to remember passwords. Some projects went *.swf, some went *.air, some went *.apk, some went *.exe, some went *.app, some went *.ipa. And in the end, *.swf is even open source.

Death to Flash? It's already dead... now, what will replace it?

So far, a bunch of esoteric, half-assed attempts to do really what Flash did for almost a decade prior and it doesn't just add up. JavaScript? Flash had ECMAScript based ActionScript.

Anyway, replace Flash with something that does all of the above. I know you'll probably say Qt. But until the modules and Qt Quick and all have settled down to where there's full parity between the platforms, I can't rely on it fully yet. Not unless I narrow myself into one of very few platforms... and I just can't do that.

Meh. Addressing this in this thread is a waste. Forgive me.

Back to what's really important... Jolla. The information is starting to trickle out and that's a good thing. Means that things have moved forward for them and we're witnessing them doing something that's potentially cool and might end up being disruptive. For an 80 or so personnel company, that's impressive.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
My Nokia (I refuse to use "Lumia") 1020 arrived yesterday...
Well that actually makes me feel better

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Sure, play the impartial man now, nice try...
I (like most normal people) will hold judgement on BQ/aesthetics until I've had it in my hands for a while.
I would think by now, there are people who held it in their hands. Where are they?

Ios7 is real cool. Just downloaded it. Such a well finished product. We will see how beta is Jolla

They would have better luck calling the phone Tesla

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
They would have better luck calling the phone Tesla
After Nikola Tesla, is that?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red