Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Oh no I can already see the threads :O . PR1.1, PR1.2 ...... Wonder if we will ever get past PR1.3 on a Maemo/meego/Sailfish device before a new OS is announced. I certainly hope so.
I think I can say I with quite good confidence that we're well aware of the things that weren't ideal about Nokia's update process. We hope to do better.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Is there push notification service & api for native applications?
Not at this time. We're being very limiting in what APIs we expose to applications that want to go into the store initially until we can make sure that:
  • it'll meet the usecases you want
  • we can promise forwards-compatibility (good quality API, and being careful with the implementation to avoid exposing internal implementation details etc)
  • it's well documented as to how to use it, and how to use it well

I kicked off some discussion earlier today about how we prioritize exposing new API. I imagine we'll want to offer up some kind of voting mechanism to store developers, but there's nothing clearly decided there yet.

Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Same question about Android applications?

I assume that GCM is out of the scope because it's part of the Google Play API, which you'd get only if you had Google approved Android.
I'm not at all knowledgable on the Android front of things, so I can't answer you directly. I'll try remember to ask around and get back to this.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
The company and the fact that they are doing the map app was mentioned a page or two ago, but this piece of news is new. A few new pics as well, thanks!
Wasn't that what I said?

Originally Posted by praveenchand View Post
i lost hope for jolla...again i asked to give some approx launch date for other countries.....but they replied they currently don't have that info.
how long we will wait..indefinitely...
Seriously? they already has said finland is first adaptors. Reason: they have an operator willing to sell they'r phone so what do yo expect?

As long as the operators has no intrests the rest of EU is low priority.

So if you want them to speedup EU released you should ask the damn operators. I spam them daily in my country atm. But so far those idiots( TRE, Telenor, Telia) has not responded

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Aha - from the DNA press release:

"The lucky first will get their phone on 27 November at the launch and the rest soon after - all who made a pre-booking will be contacted"

Mind you, still feels wrong that we are getting better info from Jolla's partners than from Jolla itself.
The most logical translate this as:

"The lucky first preorders on DNA will get their phone on 27 November at the launch and the rest soon after DNA preorders - all who made a pre-booking will be contacted"

Because why on earth would DNA care about the rest of us. Its most logical that theyr post talks about DNA customers NOT Jolla directly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
It'd be nice to have rolling release style of update during the beta, that'd be nice but won't happen hmm...
I can't give a full picture of how things are going to work at this time, but:
  • We plan to do frequent updates. Not once a week, but more often than twice a year.
  • It's important to us to get new features and bugfixes out to you guys as often as possible, and to react fast to your feedback, rather than only rolling out a perfect phone and never updating it.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@w00t
Any plans about public bug tracking? I think it was great idea with Maemo.

Offtopic: Jolla needs more people like you and @stskeeps that interact with us! That "live" amongst us, that make us feel like a part of something we like. We(I) really need people that listen to us and explain. We(I) can accept a lot of things when I know the reason, but the silence just makes us(me) feel ousted.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
I might be the first person in Middle East to get Jolla *Fingers crossed* -I have a plan.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
@w00t
Any plans about public bug tracking? I think it was great idea with Maemo.
No news at this time. There are some people amongst us who want it to happen, and I guess there is some likelihood of it happening. You could always volunteer to set one up yourself, and see how it goes .

Personally, I have reservations, and don't think the Maemo tracker worked all that well - here's why. I don't think an external tracker can ever truly work as long as we have an internal tracker. But due to reasons of simply not being able to make everything we do public (third parties and more), we will still need an internal tracker.

And as long as it exists, that internal tracker would get more attention simply because it's what we've always used. That means that the external tracker would be left to the few people who already make efforts to reach out and talk to people through alternate means, or worse - get stuck with someone like Andre Klapper who has to take the flak of the people posting on the public tracker and insulate everyone else from it. Not ideal at all.

P.S. this neglect can already be seen somewhat in the Mer and Nemo trackers. They're both set up and running, and have been for a very long time. Mer's bug count is up around the 800s mark, Nemo's is around the 700s mark. Our internal tracker is about to hit 13000. This despite that a good quantity of the software we work on is open.

It's a hard problem.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
I would like to ebay one when I have trip in England during chritmas period

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red