Active Topics

Has anyone thought about the problem, that if you have a VoIp Software installed on your Nokia, that you would like to be Online whenever you are in reach of a Wifi.

So if close the lid of my nokia it disconnects from the wifi and so im Offline in my VoIp Network too, so this isnt really useable, but on the otherhand when my nokia remains in Online mode for being available on the VoIp network the batterys will last for 3 hours and not more , probably 4 but not nearly the time it could stay in standby.

So what do you think which possibilities are there for solving this (from my point of view) major problem????

Regards Sebastian

Last edited by MrNape; 2006-05-15 at 14:19.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So far as I gathered from all the back and forth between developers, hibernate mode is pretty deeply rooted in the OS. I think the assumption is that you won't be on the move and can have the tablet open. One thing I did notice: Put the speaker up to your ear. The mic (right next to the USB jack) is beside your mouth; it's also been confirmed that the hardware for the mic is the same as is in use in Nokia's phones. I'm pretty sure that unless you're using a bluetooth headset, that's the method of holding it (with the screen against your face).

i don't have the fear that it won't be a good device for voip ,
but i think every feature is as good as its usability.

so i think i wont really switch to voip from my regular phone , beacuse of the offline online problem, if there would be3 a possibility to stay online, or lets say partly online in hibernate mode so that you are reachable, i think the nokia could replace my phone step by step.

Sebastian

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The severing of connections when the cover is inserted is driven by appropriate DBUS messages. It would be trivial for Nokia to change appropriate bits of the interface so this didn't happen (e.g. if a VoIP client was running).

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I agree with Mr Nape that there is an inhereit problem with wifi, 770 and voip. The device can't be online all the time, or the device will have to adapt an even better power saving for the wifi.

OTOH, 770 could be really nice for making the calls. Also, if it had a nice desk stand, that might also rock pretty well for the waiting for call times. We'll see how it goes. Tomorrow.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Keep in mind VOIP will be handed over gTalk. You'd have to pull the cover off, find the appropriate contact, connect, put the cover on, and have the conversation... I think sitting around somewhere is more of what they had in mind, ionno.

Hedgecore: though I'd imagine being able to be contactable without pre-planning the call would be a major use case.

If you're using GPRS though, you'll have a phone anyway... ;-)

Consider this, to make a call via your gprs phone to a contact in a country that usually cost a fortune to speack with. I work in europe but dozen of friends lives abroad, japan included

dinacre: very good point :-)

Exactly, I think we're all about the same point here; gTalk is great but having VOIP on the actual phone system would be a definite plus.