Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Mass storage is a f****d-up remains from the era people connected things like stand-alone-MP3-players into computers. It should be deprecated, deal with it.
Well, there is the SD card that you can remove, right? Uhm... good question: can you remove/insert the SD card while the device is on

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
Only issue for me with not having mass storage is that it makes it pretty hard to get photos off the phone without some aggro. Bit can always take the sd card out anyway, just not as convenient
Lotsa ways of doing that.
For example my solution is following; snapping a photo with the device triggers rsync to my cloud, where the uploaded photo is added to my album script and immediately accesible via my web interface.

Simple and elegant, requires no actions whatsoever... take photo, and surf to the page with whatever equipment you have...

On the occasion network is unreacahble, for example if I am in the woods hunting for mushrooms, when I come back to civilized world I just trigger rsync and my taken snaps are processed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Lotsa ways of doing that.
For example my solution is following; snapping a photo with the device triggers rsync to my cloud, where the uploaded photo is added to my album script and immediately accesible via my web interface.

Simple and elegant, requires no actions whatsoever... take photo, and surf to the page with whatever equipment you have...

On the occasion network is unreacahble, for example if I am in the woods hunting for mushrooms, when I come back to civilized world I just trigger rsync and my taken snaps are processed.
sounds just what I need, but a bit above my level. Can you point me to some set up instructions - I'm good at following them, even when I don't know quite what I'm doing:-)
Jolla #272

The Following User Says Thank You to richardyates For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Well, there is the SD card that you can remove, right? Uhm... good question: can you remove/insert the SD card while the device is on
It is easy to remove without turning off the Jolla, as is the Microsim.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Good question. Where does the SD card mount in the device, BTW, and how do you define what of your data should be placed there and what on other drives?

I have not yet tried SD-card on the device as I am searching for the least expensive[*] 64G card ATM....

[*] I won't say cheapest here as the damn chips cost a fortune...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
It is easy to remove without turning off the Jolla, as is the Microsim.
I heard from a very good source that Jolla expects you to turn off the phone when removing/inserting SIM cards. Glad to know that it works with the phone on though, but probably best not to overuse the undocumented feature.

always thought removing Sd cards from a live device without unmounting was a recipe for corrupting them
Jolla #272

The Following User Says Thank You to richardyates For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
A surprisingly simple setup compared to the overly technical task of plugging a cable into your PC... Rsync is known to be the most downloaded app for each operating system. people just love it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
A surprisingly simple setup compared to the overly technical task of plugging a cable into your PC... Rsync is known to be the most downloaded app for each operating system. people just love it.
rsync is as awesome as it is dangerous. It can be twice as dangerous if you inlcude the --delete parameter.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
sounds just what I need, but a bit above my level. Can you point me to some set up instructions - I'm good at following them, even when I don't know quite what I'm doing:-)
You can start by looking at my cloudsync.sh thread
It's pretty simple thing, implemented in a shell script and python...

As for the server side thing in my cloud, it is pretty much similar thing, I also have there a python script that gets notified of incoming data and weaves HTML from it.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience