Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Support and good tidings aside; how are you guys truly finding the Jolla phone after some real usage and time with it?

Negatives outweighed by the positives? Do you agree with the mainstream media and how they're saying the UI is confusing (somehow) to them? Do you feel like it lived up to your expectations?

Just curious since it seems some folks are just far right or far left on how they like/dislike the Jolla phone.

Thanks in advance.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Screen is small next device must have a bigger screen. Screen size is a bit confusing indeed.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Lotsa ways of doing that.
For example my solution is following; snapping a photo with the device triggers rsync to my cloud, where the uploaded photo is added to my album script and immediately accesible via my web interface.

Simple and elegant, requires no actions whatsoever... take photo, and surf to the page with whatever equipment you have...

On the occasion network is unreacahble, for example if I am in the woods hunting for mushrooms, when I come back to civilized world I just trigger rsync and my taken snaps are processed.
Haven't had a look at the script you attached later on but does it include detection of WiFi/cell internet? I have a rather... light... data package of 1GB a month on my main number. Having the script pushing out 8MP photos automagically might not be such a good choice for me

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
Only issue for me with not having mass storage is that it makes it pretty hard to get photos off the phone without some aggro. Bit can always take the sd card out anyway, just not as convenient
What photo application are you using on the desktop? Most I've tried support MTP to get images off cameras and phones. IPhoto at least on a Mac does even if the OS itself doesn't support file transfer in general through the Finder with MTP.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Negatives outweighed by the positives?
Sure, overall I have a very positive feel about the device.
There are negatives, like the browser feels a bit half-baked and lacks the landscape mode, but I tend to forget that as the device feels so pleasing in hand and is joy to use.

Do you agree with the mainstream media and how they're saying the UI is confusing (somehow) to them? Do you feel like it lived up to your expectations?
If you ever used N9, the UI is very natural to you.
I did the experiment today that I gave my device to somebody who had never used N9 before, and watched for about a minute how he interacted with it. Then I showed him how to open the tutorial and he went throught with that. That was enough for him to grasp how the UI is supposed to be used

Just curious since it seems some folks are just far right or far left on how they like/dislike the Jolla phone.
I'd say same goes for anything new that's launcehd onto people. Some take it with open mind and some have prejudices and tend to hate anything unfamiliar...

@daveDave999, if anything the Jolla device is just a tad too large. N9 ws absolutely the perfect size for onehanded operation, Jolla device requires me to stretch my fingers then I execute the "close device" gesture with one hand...

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by biatch0 View Post
Haven't had a look at the script you attached later on but does it include detection of WiFi/cell internet? I have a rather... light... data package of 1GB a month on my main number. Having the script pushing out 8MP photos automagically might not be such a good choice for me
Yes, on my cloudsync script I have a check for the current connection setup, for the reason that it uses either the local IP address of my server when connected via my home WLAN or the public IP address of my server when I am on 3G or BYOD WLAN of my work place

On N9 I have a modification in the ifup scripts that detects when I enter my home WLAN and automatically triggers sync of everything.

I'd say you should for example modify your syncscript so that it bails out if not connected to WLAN, and does the full sync when you enter your lair.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
What photo application are you using on the desktop? Most I've tried support MTP to get images off cameras and phones. IPhoto at least on a Mac does even if the OS itself doesn't support file transfer in general through the Finder with MTP.
To be honest haven't tried since I read it wasn't supported:-( When next near my Mac I will experiment with iPhoto, thanks for the heads up
Jolla #272

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, for mass storage mode you need to tether the device to your PC by USB cable, right?
So what is keeping you from using NFS mount or SAMBA mount to access the device over USB?
Or if you just quickly need to transfer some files use sftp or scp...
All those protocols work both over WLAN and over USB networking
I appreciate your expert suggestion.
However, what is keeping me is that I just want to plug the phone in any PC, be it girlfriends, colleague's, friend's to transfer a few pictures of movies.
Without installing any client, need for password of Wlan, or local administrator.
What I do need is security to turn USB mass storage off on my phone though.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
I was thinking of getting both a Nexus 5 and a Jolla mobile and waiting till Sailfish is on Nexus 5. But it seems that one handed operations on a 5 inch screen may not suit my hands.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
MTP is it? Now that finally explains the annoying window I have to click away whenever I plug my Nokia into OSX ready to browse for my phone for pictures through OSX Finder.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience