Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
My question: is there a mechanism there to protect the data from Sailfish apps?

I mean, if I can write a simple Flashligh app that grabs your emails, smses and contacts and sends it to me, would you notice? Could you limit your apps some way, like in Android (especially like PrivacyGuard in Cyanogenmod)?
No there isn't.

and now somebody prove me wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
I've got another tricky thing to test, aimed for all former/current N9 users.
If you have/had an N9, and used the email application, preferably with a custom IMAP4+SMTP server, preferably with dovecot as the IMAP4 server, have you noticed that email sync stops working every now and then and you have to delete the database in ~/.qmf/ to resolve it ? If so, this post is for you.

Did you manage to replicate the same issue in the Jolla? :-)

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ finland
Has anyone done a good camera comparison test vs. some flagship phones like ip5 or sgs4 and such? I know it isnt maybe fair to test 400e phone against +600e phones but still would like some. I only have done some small testing against Xperia Z and there it is really not that huge dirrefence...Xperia Z's camera was a disaapointment tho and I find it pretty sucky afterall, atleast with default settings.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
No there isn't.

and now somebody prove me wrong.
There is normal unix security to protect the data.

Sailfish protected data are in privileged group, and normal android applications don't have access to that group, as android apps run as randomuid:nemo-group. So they only have readonly access to nemo users dirs (if group has +r). If you make sailfish application, and chmod g-r on the file, then android application cannot read it.

But yes between sailfish applications both are running as nemo, there is no read access restrictions, but ofcourse you can encrypt your sailfish applications data files. And even normal nemo user sailfish applications cannot access the data from Jolla applications privileged group dirs (like facebook contacts etc are protected).
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2013-12-13 at 12:59.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
For all those Mac owners having difficulty in transferring files it may be good to know that a Sailfish Dropbox client has appeared in the Jolla store. It works well but is sadly lacking a thumbnail view of pictures at the moment.

Great to see some Sailfish OS apps arriving through.

been there a few days. I find the way it works bit unuintuitive and still prefer the android client. also had some problem finding the downloaded files, but that was my ignorance of the file structure
Jolla #272

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
been there a few days. I find the way it works bit unuintuitive and still prefer the android client. also had some problem finding the downloaded files, but that was my ignorance of the file structure
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to make it a bit more informative in there future if I just have some free time some day... have been quite busy lately
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TrD View Post
Has anyone done a good camera comparison test vs. some flagship phones like ip5 or sgs4 and such? I know it isnt maybe fair to test 400e phone against +600e phones but still would like some. I only have done some small testing against Xperia Z and there it is really not that huge dirrefence...Xperia Z's camera was a disaapointment tho and I find it pretty sucky afterall, atleast with default settings.
Not that I've seen but I've started taking some shots. The camera isn't bad at all, it is pretty good in normal light, colour balance is good and its macro works. My attempts to take pictures on a gloomy day were almost all exposed wrongly and its performance in the dark is what you would expect

If you would like to see some of the pictures they are in my flickr feed currently the first 7 pictures are all ones taken with the jolla

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardcyates/
Jolla #272

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richardyates For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
No OS X support? Oversight or indicative of something else?

With the help of a friend who writes qt programs, i've been trying to install the Tweetian beta. Unfortunately my friend is currently in Sydney which is a hindrance since I'm in the Uk. We have installed the qt dependencies need, but keep hitting the rpm.lock, and that won't delete either

Any ideas? what is the default password for su?

(please go easy on the reply, I can type accurately to enter commands, understand them a lot less)
Jolla #272

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No OS X support? Oversight or indicative of something else?
Support for what?

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience