Notices

Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
You can download any application you paid for via openrepos site. If no protection selected, it will be exactly same deb as developer uploaded.
oh, ok. i misread what you wrote {i thought Level 1 was the least you could do with a paid app}.

im no longer a heartbroken dissenter, but i still dislike giving good folks hurdles to jump through {e.g.: dont reflash, or else you have to install warehouse}, while making it more or less just as easy for no-good-niks.

i guess i can only ask that you please default to not using package protector.

{also does openrepos devel have a donations box? i LOVE openrepos to pieces, which is why i was so perturbed by what i see as a threat to its open-ness}

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 747 | Thanked: 2,370 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
oh, ok. i misread what you wrote {i thought Level 1 was the least you could do with a paid app}.

im no longer a heartbroken dissenter, but i still dislike giving good folks hurdles to jump through {e.g.: dont reflash, or else you have to install warehouse}, while making it more or less just as easy for no-good-niks.
You can do anything to your phone. In case of reflash you just perform same actions as you done when you bought application. This seems quite fair to me.

i guess i can only ask that you please default to not using package protector.
It's all up to publisher. When uploading/editing package details select whatever you want: tick checkbox and you are done. Restricted or not.

{also does openrepos devel have a donations box? i LOVE openrepos to pieces, which is why i was so perturbed by what i see as a threat to its open-ness}
Dont have anything special, only small beer notice
May be it will appear when global donation system will be online.

The main point of warehouse is not validity checks.
It's a client application for openrepos, which will provide spectrum of openrepos services for your device.
Currenly it's only application browsing, installation, update checking.
Soon comments/ratings and nonuser application installing.
Event more to come: I have plans for push notifications service with public api.

The Following User Says Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post:
In case of reflash you just perform same actions as you done when you bought application
for me, that action has always been downloading the deb via the browser and then uploading it my local repo for installing with yum/apt on the device. i have never even opened the n9 or n900 catalog app, and i similarly doubt i would ever want to run warehouse, as long as those admittedly awesome-sounding features {ratings, comments, changelogs, etc} are also available on the web site.

only small beer notice
thx, donated.
hah, yea it IS small. i dont think anyone would mind you sticking a larger donate button up on openrepos.net with the same link.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
for me, that action has always been downloading the deb via the browser and then uploading it my local repo for installing with yum/apt on the device. i have never even opened the n9 or n900 catalog app,
you are advanced user.
How I see general use case:
After reflashing (buying new device), download warehouse and click on button 'Install all application i had installed before reflashing'.

and i similarly doubt i would ever want to run warehouse, as long as those admittedly awesome-sounding features {ratings, comments, changelogs, etc} are also available on the web site.
You are correct.
Warehouse is just suitable client for case if you are at subway to your work, installing app, have launch error, raging about it , write comment 'NOOOO!!!111 IT IS NOT WORKING!!!11' and give 1 star to application. When you get to work you see some questions from developer on your case, fixes it, and change vote to 5 stars

Just to clarify a bit more about package things.

Moreover, same application can have free and paid packages. it's all up to developer pricing policy and file management.
For example, use case(theoretically):
My application Nelisquare.
It now have 2 harmattan packages.
First package have one latest file (v0.5.2) and can be paid, so only users who bought nelisquare will be able to install v0.5.2.
Second package have all previous versions of nelisquare and they all are freely available/downloadable/installable, just like all packages from openrepos now.

When I release version 0.5.3 with lots of new features, I add this version to first package, so all my paid-users will get the update. Version 0.5.2 I transfer to second package, so all my free-users get this update now.
Want newest version? Buy application

Last edited by Custodian; 2013-11-14 at 20:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post:
Where's maemo 5 support? At least, if this one is faster than APPMAN or FAPMAN.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
From the OP:

OpenRepos is a community driven personal repository system for Harmattan and Sailfish operating systems. It provides a repository which can be enabled on your device.

I guess Harmattan just adds some color in the above sentence.

However, Maemo 5 support is right here, on maemo.org

Sorry for going OT.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
From the OP:

OpenRepos is a community driven personal repository system for Harmattan and Sailfish operating systems. It provides a repository which can be enabled on your device.

I guess Harmattan just adds some color in the above sentence.

However, Maemo 5 support is right here, on maemo.org

Sorry for going OT.
Wait wait wait, iirc the last time I read the announcement of openrepos is that there will be support for harmattan, sailfish AND maemo 5. I guess that changed...

Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Maemo5 support was not prioritized because there are Maemo Garage and extras repositories for applications.
You cannot compare speed with appman or fapman, since it only depends on repository sizes you have enabled. You still need package manager on phone to perform actions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'm simply in awe at the amount of progress Custodian has made on all of this*, in many ways, I'd love to see him snatched-up by Jolla.
It seems counter-intuitive to have 2 separate app systems when they could be merged into one: "teh awesomest matrix!"

*a 1-man team no less!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
No updates lately, huh?
Brief details what i'm working on.

What have been already added to OpenRepos:
  • SailfishOS
    SailfishOS repos are live! If you cannot get to harbour due to storms, you can get some rest here
  • Changelogs for packages
    You can now attach change logs to platform packges. Or select 'change autoupdate' option for auto extraction changelogs from deb, rpm, etc.
    If you have multiple versions attached to the same package, higher version changelog will be used. Each platform package have own changelog.
    Changelogs as well as version info will be visible at Warehouse at future releases before you enable repository(install package).
  • Rating system
    Multiscale ranking system added. Currently only one scale called 'rating' is enabled. More scales will be added for voting soon(like usability, performance ...)
    Any expectations here?
  • Platform filters
    Platform filters to OpenRepos. Select your platform to see available apps. Filters not yet working site-wide, but will do so in a short period of time.
  • Some internals
    Bla-bla-bla some internal core changes bla-bla-bla

What is done now and will be deployed soon:
  • User vs Lib packages
    By default only user section packages (i.e. no system or core updates) will be visible at Applications and Games.
    Libs/perl-extra/python-extra and non-user packages are excluded from 'avarage user' view and moved into System/Libraries-like categories.
    Same for Warehouse. Special switch at settings page(disabled by default) will let you install nonuser packages, and perform more 'low-level' package activity.
    Packages are going to be resorted based on package category.
    I'm thinking about proper categories which should be used at OpenRepos.
  • Application tiles
    I found N9-Apps style of application tile quite suitable for openrepos, so tiles are changed and will show more info about the application: Name, Icon, Publisher, Rating, Category, Quick Install link.
    Tile will be main form of application display within 'last changed', 'top downloads', category, etc.
  • Application ratings
    Last updated apps seems boring So moar categories to compete:
    Top week, Top month, New, etc.
  • Content flags
    Report system for content abuse, harmful package or merge with other package requests.
  • Favorites
    Dont know if it is really needed, but why not?
  • Meta repositories
    The idea of openrepos Any user will be able to create own meta repository, and add any applications there.
  • Donation support
    Quick bar for donations to publisher. If publisher specifies any options at his profile.
  • Beta applications
    Beta packages for application, which are available to close range of users you selected.
    This is first step for paid apps support, and widetest for openrepos copy-protection system.
  • Protection system
    Openrepos feature the copy protection system for deb and rpm packages. You dont have to modify your application to get "basic level" protection. Even if package is intercepted(manually downloaded), it cannot be installed on unallowed system. Extra api also will be avilable for devs to get 'activation' information for thier apps.

What is planned for next release(s):
  • Paid apps support
    Working hard, but not yet completed. Targeting to finish that stuff before 01.01.2014.
    Currently i'm targeting direct user2publisher paiments without any 'every month invoice' bullshiieet. User buys, you get money with microtransaction. Paypal (and maybe Scrill, ex Moneybookers) on the launch date. All paid apps will can be copy-protected.
    More details will be available asap.

Warehouse client application will be available for sailfish.
Information about changes and updates will be published later at warehouse topic.
Maybe include another local/regional payments sites too ?, ex. https://www.mercadopago.com.ar/ for latin america.

The Following User Says Thank You to gdelca5 For This Useful Post:

Tags
awesome, harmattan, meego, repository, service