Active Topics

Nitrodesk touchdown works - but timezone seems to be UTC always. Any suggestions how to change timezone for android apps as it doesn't get it from the system settings?

edit: I modified the build.prop and now calendar times in touchdown looks ok. To be exact, the file was: /opt/alien/system/build.prop and I added the line:

persist.sys.timezone=Europe/Helsinki

I take no warranties what ever happens.. use at your own risk

Last edited by skuke; 2013-12-27 at 11:11.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
NavFree from the Yandex repostitory works.

Depending on your location there are free downloadable maps. (Asia seems to be lacking)

Edit: NavFree online reviews show an advertisement bar in NavFree but no such suffering on the Jolla Android as far as I can tell.

Compass applications for Android:
Installing a simple compass application indicates: orientation sensor not found or compass not found, sorry you need a better phone

Anyway, happy to see the Jolla GPS sensor is being mapped to the Android machine.
I tried NavFree on one of my well-known routes, and it tried to send me to a 100 km+ detour. Caveat emptor.

I also tried several Android apps that are supposed to show the current speed. Some of them showed a big fat constant 0, others 0 and 58 alternating at a few seconds interval.

I just hope Nokia Here would acquire turn-by-turn navigation soon. I would even pay for it.

Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
Isn't there a typo in your command?

Shouldn't it be --ignore-existing?
I don't know but how can it work now?

EDIT:

My steps:

I put the zip file in Downloads directory.
I unzip it from Downloads dir.

Now I have an error why?

Last edited by n950; 2013-12-27 at 11:59.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 238 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tumpelo View Post
Did you try connecting to an HRM? An attempt to do that makes Sports Tracker to crash.
Nope, I don't own HRM.

Originally Posted by skuke View Post
Nitrodesk touchdown works - but timezone seems to be UTC always. Any suggestions how to change timezone for android apps as it doesn't get it from the system settings?

edit: I modified the build.prop and now calendar times in touchdown looks ok. To be exact, the file was: /opt/alien/system/build.prop and I added the line:

I take no warranties what ever happens.. use at your own risk
Hi Skuke,

How can I edit my build.prop file in terminal? what command?
My Google play store works now.
I need to edit the file to have all applications enable no?
What line I need to add?

Can you give me step by step? plz

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ grenoble
Originally Posted by bob_bipbip View Post
is someone has waze working?
navit from f-droid appstore works and can download maps, tho
GOOD NEWS !!!
for waze, the last jolla update makes waze works !!!

so, for android that doesn't work, system update will make it work !!!!

Last edited by bob_bipbip; 2013-12-27 at 19:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_bipbip For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by n950 View Post
Hi Skuke,

How can I edit my build.prop file in terminal? what command?
My Google play store works now.
I need to edit the file to have all applications enable no?
What line I need to add?

Can you give me step by step? plz
Notice that (if I understood correctly) this just sets the timezone for the android compatibility layer and if android applications are using time/date based on system info, they will get correct timezone (as jolla gives GMT timezone as a default when using android applications). I don't know what the other timezone options are exactly or how this affects to play store or any other android software. I happened to fix the Nitrodesk touchdown email/calendar app as it was showing GMT times and I live in EET.

Step by step guide:
enable developer mode and open terminal and enter these commands (see comments for additional info):
devel-su
(privileges...)

pkcon install nano
(install nano editor - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92036)

nano /opt/alien/system.build.prop
(opens up editor and you can add this line at the end of the file:
Close editor with ctrl-x and accept to save changes)

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I try to avoid google, but many companies publish their apps only on the google play store. Needing a google-account is one thing, as I could make one specially for the purpose. Having google's services running in the background on my device however is something I really want to avoid. Are there tools available to download free apps from the play store, without using the play store?

There's this, but that might close down any minute. The alternative, using Chrome, well... That won't run so great on Jolla - like I even would want to use google's browser.

Anymore options?
Apparently there is if you have and Android device. I had the same question and was told about some "apk extractor" app. If you install an app on any Android device, it can extract the .apk for you, which then you can install on your Jolla.

I just noticed:
Installing the app "Zoom Camera" from Yandex store makes the Whatsapp-clients video recording-button to function. When clicking Whatsapps video-button the Zoom Camera app automatically starts and you can then record a video and send through whatsapp right away.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to latency For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
I have difficulties with audo streams. I ve installed
ARD Mediathek
Couleur 3
When I run the rsdio live streams, nothing's to be heard. ,TV streams (ARD) working fine.
Has anyone similar üroblems?

In general I just made my mails work (changrd SSL to TSL encryption) and just bought an additional SIM card for the time until a native seype soöution is available.

icke

Sorry for the errors. I cannot position the cursor properly in the native Jolla browser

Tags
aindroid, essential apps