Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Helmuti View Post
Chelli works on it. We must wait.

I have now install OS2008 on a SD Card and will try to install tomorrow OS 2007 in flash again. I hope, that works. So i could use the better performance in Internet and and USB-connectivity with OS2008 and Gnumeric and DOC-Reader e.g. *.xls and *.doc-support with OS2007.

Wifi wont work as 2008Os is different from 2007Os, i.e., the Os needs to be the same on the int flash and MMC. Yes, you can do that with 2007Os and 2006Os, but not with 2008Os and 2007Os.

The way I get around with the gnumeric is to do work only on the tablet or PC with gnumeric then txf to the tablet, as long as you do not do work on PC using excel, there is no formatting problem, so far, see my post in this thread.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-01-18 at 01:45.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Lake Wobegon, Minnesota
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Wifi wont work as 2008Os is different from 2007Os, i.e., the Os needs to be the same on the int flash and MMC. Yes, you can do that with 2007Os and 2006Os, but not with 2008Os and 2007Os.

The way I get around with the gnumeric is to do work only on the tablet or PC with gnumeric then txf to the tablet, as long as you do not do work on PC using excel, there is no formatting problem, so far, see my post in this thread.

bun
I have been trying for three days to download gnumeric. It gets to about 1/3 the way and quits stating download failed. Any other place to tget the deb file? Thanks. BTW, running 2007 on my 800

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by mikeob View Post
I have been trying for three days to download gnumeric. It gets to about 1/3 the way and quits stating download failed. Any other place to tget the deb file? Thanks. BTW, running 2007 on my 800
Try from here; the repo you need for gnumeric is www.maemo.org.br (it contains gnumeric)

The Following User Says Thank You to akd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Lake Wobegon, Minnesota
Originally Posted by akd View Post
Try from here; the repo you need for gnumeric is www.maemo.org.br (it contains gnumeric)
Got it -thanks!

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Erfurt, Germany
Just to keep you updated:

I requested a new project on garage.maemo.org for Gnumeric an hour ago. I would like to use at least the bugtracker and svn repository there to have bugs and sources at a central location and to make it easier for others to contribute.

I also plan to upload the Gnumeric packages to extras-devel when i will get upload access, which i hope will be soon.

But please do not expect too much from me during the next 2 weeks, i hope to have a lot more time beginning from february first.

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Thanks Bun, for your observations. I too was able to install it without issue, but, sadly, mine still has the same 'issues' as 1.6.3. You didn't encounter the cell-formatting issue?

Re-reading Chelli's post I realized that we may still be a few weeks aways from a working version.

I have been using gnumeric 1.8.0-1chinook3 fine for a couple of week without problem, and then somehow, the 'cell-format bug' started to show up. I then do the following to get around and has been doing fine, so far.

1) spread sheet created and worked on the N800 does not have the cell format issue.

2) spread sheet that has the cell format issue: transfer the spreadsheet to a PC, read the spreadsheet with the PC desktop version of gnumeric (1.7.12), save it as .gnumeric (NOT EXCEL) and copy back to the N800. This bypass the cell format issue.

I have spreadsheets created/edited on the tablet and PC. As long as I read the spreadsheet on PC Gnumeric and save it as gnumeric format, NOT EXCEL, just before I port it back to the N800, I have NOT seen the cell format issue for several months!

Enjoy,

bun

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
2) spread sheet that has the cell format issue: transfer the spreadsheet to a PC, read the spreadsheet with the PC desktop version of gnumeric (1.7.12), save it as .gnumeric (NOT EXCEL) and copy back to the N800. This bypass the cell format issue.

I have spreadsheets created/edited on the tablet and PC. As long as I read the spreadsheet on PC Gnumeric and save it as gnumeric format, NOT EXCEL, just before I port it back to the N800, I have NOT seen the cell format issue for several months!
Thanks Bun, for your notes. I've think I saw this work-around mentioned a while back in this thread. I haven't tried it for a couple of reasons. First, I have--alas--a pc/vista, so I don't have Gnumeric there. Second, and perhaps more importantly, I have to share my spreadsheets with someone who needs excel, no choice. And, finally, I'm not complaining here, you understand, but it'd sure be nice to use the app without an additional two or three step work-around.

BTW, I am using ver. 1.8.0-1chinook5 and, as of 2.1.08, still had the cell-formatting issues. I would love to use this app to keep my inventory up-to-date. Interestingly, I chose to use a spreadsheet instead of a database because it's such a small inventory that I really don't need a lot of computing power. But, what I do need for sure are multiple sheets, and calculations.

Gnumeric works well enough on the first count (though the 'sheet selector' is very hard to find), but, alas, it still has issues with fields that contain calculations. These are simple calculations, too, just AVG and SUM.

Again, to the developers, this is not a complaint, just an observation. I am, by the way, a very willing tester should you need someone 'in the wild' so to speak...

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Thanks Bun, for your notes. I've think I saw this work-around mentioned a while back in this thread. I haven't tried it for a couple of reasons. First, I have--alas--a pc/vista, so I don't have Gnumeric there. Second, and perhaps more importantly, I have to share my spreadsheets with someone who needs excel, no choice. And, finally, I'm not complaining here, you understand, but it'd sure be nice to use the app without an additional two or three step work-around.

BTW, I am using ver. 1.8.0-1chinook5 and, as of 2.1.08, still had the cell-formatting issues. I would love to use this app to keep my inventory up-to-date. Interestingly, I chose to use a spreadsheet instead of a database because it's such a small inventory that I really don't need a lot of computing power. But, what I do need for sure are multiple sheets, and calculations.

Gnumeric works well enough on the first count (though the 'sheet selector' is very hard to find), but, alas, it still has issues with fields that contain calculations. These are simple calculations, too, just AVG and SUM.

Again, to the developers, this is not a complaint, just an observation. I am, by the way, a very willing tester should you need someone 'in the wild' so to speak...

I have Gnumeric on both win XP and win Vista. It works fine. Regarding other people using Excel, it is fine. Just have to upload to gnumeric and save on gnumeric you then be able to work in the tablet. I know it is not perfect, the other choice is to do without gnumeric. For me, I use it "several" times a day, mixing PC/tablet in and out, have NOT been bothered by the cell format for several weeks since. I suggest it for someone using spreadsheet like me, without gnumeric, I will have to, och, put down my tablet and pick up my Dell PDA again .

It is a make or break app for me. I also want to echo here, that, this is absolutely not a complaint, I only feel grateful for Chelli's hard working porting this app to Chinook. Thanks again,

bun

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
put down my tablet and pick up my Dell PDA again
Now Bun, that's just *crazy* talk!

I'll give the work-around a go, but now I have another month before inventory...go Chelli!

does anyone know what is causing the cell-format bug?