Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by ian_ryge View Post
LCARS v4.0 has been released:

http://synthesize.us/LCARS_PADD
Top notch, Ian.

Thanks for updating this. It really shows how dramatically maemo can be themed.

So I got rid of it but there was still some odd stuff going on like really weird battery charging icons and the sounds. So after a few reboots I got rid of the sounds, and my battery charging icon is almost back to normal, only it's not animated any longer. What to do?? Be careful with this one people..

edit.

not only is it not animated, but the entire icon actually disappears after a while of charging..

edit2. nevermind I flashed my tablet.. it was about time anyways..

Last edited by traveller604; 2008-02-10 at 17:25.

Originally Posted by traveller604 View Post
So I got rid of it but there was still some odd stuff going on like really weird battery charging icons and the sounds. So after a few reboots I got rid of the sounds, and my battery charging icon is almost back to normal, only it's not animated any longer.
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm guessing that if things didn't revert after "a few reboots", you may have actually been doing soft-reboots... (was your power cord plugged in?) You need to unplug the power before "switching off" to actually shutdown the device, otherwise it just goes into charging mode (where Linux is still running, just at a different runlevel). If you see a progress bar during startup, it's a full reboot, and all graphics should be reloaded.

As for the charging animation not being animated anymore, I'm not sure that was caused by LCARS. I've seen this problem appear with Nokia's own graphic in place. I never actually found a fix, but the animation came back on its own a day or so after it broke... Not sure what that's about.

Originally Posted by greviant View Post
I am terrible at design, but I would be interested in getting together with someone to add a Nemesis-style blue color scheme. The blue LCARS would match the design of the n810 much better.
I'm not making any promises, but I've definitely thought about making a mostly blue version (as seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:E...se-E_LCARS.jpg)

Originally Posted by ian_ryge View Post
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm guessing that if things didn't revert after "a few reboots", you may have actually been doing soft-reboots... (was your power cord plugged in?) You need to unplug the power before "switching off" to actually shutdown the device, otherwise it just goes into charging mode (where Linux is still running, just at a different runlevel). If you see a progress bar during startup, it's a full reboot, and all graphics should be reloaded.

As for the charging animation not being animated anymore, I'm not sure that was caused by LCARS. I've seen this problem appear with Nokia's own graphic in place. I never actually found a fix, but the animation came back on its own a day or so after it broke... Not sure what that's about.

Learn something new everyday

It doesn't really matter, gave me the perfect excuse for a reflash

What I saw was very cool, I had no idea Maemo could be pimped so far, it just wasn't my thing..

Incredible job on this theme!! Keep up the good work. It almost seems like it makes my tablet feel "faster" I guess thats the placebo effect in action....

I installed it, liked it despite not being a trekkie, but removed it because of some shortcomings in the end.

Everything was cool, but the statusbar icons being difficult to read accurately (sound, brightness and battery) and overall goofy colours (if you ask me; I don't know if this is true to Star Trek) made me switch back despite the overall good design of this theme.

It just felt too geared towards appearance over usability. For instance, besides the statusbar, the smaller menu button for only the internet/bookmarks menu makes no sense, but making all three menu buttons smaller so there's more space for running apps would be an actual improvement. I'm not sure if this is possible.

I changed to a different theme, uninstalled lcars-complete, followed by lcars-extras and lcars-sounds. After a single reboot everything was back to normal. However, the theme is still listed in the theme picker. What's going on here?

Last edited by bexley; 2008-02-11 at 18:49.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bexley View Post
It just felt too geared towards appearance over usability. For instance, besides the statusbar, the smaller menu button for only the internet/bookmarks menu makes no sense, but making all three menu buttons smaller so there's more space for running apps would be an actual improvement. I'm not sure if this is possible.
Er, it's designed to exactly imitate a fictional computer GUI in a scifi TV show, what in the world did you expect? <_<

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I'm glad so many people like the themes! Of course, you can never please everyone

the smaller menu button for only the internet/bookmarks menu makes no sense, but making all three menu buttons smaller so there's more space for running apps would be an actual improvement. I'm not sure if this is possible.
The clickable area of the internet/bookmarks menu is exactly the same, I just made it appear smaller to make room for the curve. And no, I don't think it would be possible for a theme to change the size of the tasknavigator buttons. On a related note, Nokia actually decided to make the sidebar app buttons a little bigger in OS2008, so that there are now only 3 running apps visible on the sidebar instead of 4. Terrible decision if you ask me.

I changed to a different theme, uninstalled lcars-complete, followed by lcars-extras and lcars-sounds. After a single reboot everything was back to normal. However, the theme is still listed in the theme picker. What's going on here?
It sounds like you uninstalled 3 of the 6 packages; you still have the themes and the memory-alpha search applet. Here are the package names:

hildon-theme-lcars-padd
hildon-theme-lcars-bridge
search-memory-alpha

This is great, many thanks!!!. I find the font in the gpe calendar a little harder to read now. Is there any way to change that?.

Ever since I was a kid, I loved the LCARS PADD on Star Trek. I even used to make little cardboard facsimiles. I have always a wanted a gadget that did just about everything you wanted, and could be used to monitor important information.

The Nokia N800 was the first gadget to do what I dream of a gadget doing since I was a kid... and now it looks like LCARS PADD too! Thank you ian_ryge for making my childhood fantasy come true.

Now... let us hope Nokia implements universal font colors...