i love it!!!

It looks like the upgrade supports WMA, is this new?

Originally Posted by rattis
Not hard to add it if they missed it. Go back to the threads about the last update and the problem that they had with the time zones. it tells you how to add additonal time zones to the 770. I know you'd rather have it be there stanard. I don't blame you.
Oh, good point! I am not a Linux person so I only vaguely followed the stuff about timezones when the update came out. I'll go look back through it all. Thanks for reminding me!

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by kessdaman
It looks like the upgrade supports WMA, is this new?
Good eye. On Nokia's site WMA is listed in supported audio formats for the 2006 OS, and excluded for the 2005 OS. Interesting. I would imagine WMA could include several different formats, just like AAC does. So what it really means is anyone's guess.

Originally Posted by jayholler
Good eye. On Nokia's site WMA is listed in supported audio formats for the 2006 OS, and excluded for the 2005 OS. Interesting. I would imagine WMA could include several different formats, just like AAC does. So what it really means is anyone's guess.
I hope in addition the video player will not be as picky. It's really annoying when mpg and some rl (real player) video files don't work when you want to stream live TV via the internet.

Originally Posted by neps
Thats a nice theory. But the Treo I've been using for the last several years would argue differently, as would the limited use I've had with Window Mobile.
The Treo and the 770 take very different approaches to GUI. Every model of Treo has had a hardware keyboard, obviously. On top of that, the interface on the Treo since the introduction of the Treo 600 has been very focused on one-handed navigation using the five way navigation thinger rather than relying solely on the touch screen.

It's possible that your experience with Windows Mobile devices may provide insight regarding the 770 interface (and it would be great if you'd care to expand on that point), but the Treo is an incomparable device. Remote User's observation regarding touchscreen GUIs seems very sound.

Originally Posted by Stickarm
The Treo and the 770 take very different approaches to GUI. Every model of Treo has had a hardware keyboard, obviously. On top of that, the interface on the Treo since the introduction of the Treo 600 has been very focused on one-handed navigation using the five way navigation thinger rather than relying solely on the touch screen.

It's possible that your experience with Windows Mobile devices may provide insight regarding the 770 interface (and it would be great if you'd care to expand on that point), but the Treo is an incomparable device. Remote User's observation regarding touchscreen GUIs seems very sound.
I can probably count on my hands the number of times I've used the nav thinger to actually navigate. I've used it maybe to nudge down a webpage or email. Isn't that nav thinger similar to the 770s nav thinger?

As for Windows Mobile, my experience has been with a HP iPaq, which has no keyboard, and a similar nav thinger like the 770. Far be it from me, a longtime Mac user to advocate anything Microsoft. But their UI is alot cleaner with similar restrictions as the 770.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ch&sa=N&tab=wi

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
BTW: I just read the specs on Nokia's website regarding the 2006 Version.... Still no native OGG Vorbis support. Instead a bundle of exotic proprietary formats I never even think of using on a Linux based system. Strange. While they're on the right track with Google Talk (based on open standards), they missed this one completely.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Is the start screen on the 2006 version more customizable than on the 2005 version, or is it still only possible to include or leave out the pre-configured applications?

Originally Posted by kutibah
I hope in addition the video player will not be as picky. It's really annoying when mpg and some rl (real player) video files don't work when you want to stream live TV via the internet.
It is VERY picky. So picky in fact sometimes when I open a file in the player it says the format is unsupported. Try opening it again or open it via the file manager though and it will work fine.