Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
I am presuming that the "cell-format bug" that people are talking about is transferring from Excel?

I am not transferring from Excel, instead I am trying to create a spreadsheet from scratch in Gnumeric and have umpteen problems with the Format Cells dialog boxes.

The Categories needs a scrubber bar on it. The workaround is to single tap the stylus in this field and then use the navigation pad to cursor down one at a time.

Despite this, when you get down to "Custom" formats the right-hand side dialog goes all "wacko" on you. and partial bars and text appear overwritten.

The Alignment tab also has problems in that all of the controls seem to overwrite each other and run off the display.

Font, too has problems in that the dialog columns overrun the checkboxes and dialog box.

The Border tab Line style table runs off the page behind the cancel and OK buttons.

Likewise, the Background tab has the style table running off the bottom of the display behind the Help button.

The Validation tab is also badly misaligned and the alerts run off the bottom of the screen.

With these types of problems, shouldn't this distribution be classified a "beta"?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Erfurt, Germany
Sorry for the long delay since my last message.

Those of you who have added the extras-devel repository in their application manager will most likely have noticed that i uploaded Gnumeric 1.8.1 last week. Unfortunately this release fixes none of the known bugs.

The project on garage also was approved, you can find it under:

http://garage.maemo.org/projects/gnumeric/

It would be nice if you could report all known bugs to the bugtracker in the garage project because they are easier to track them there than in this forum thread.

Originally Posted by cycroft View Post
does anyone know what is causing the cell-format bug?
Well, after my researching i believe that these problems are caused by bug #752 in OS2008. Unfortunately i do not know how to workaround this currently.

For those who want a lot more details:

Gnumeric wants to convert the encoding of MS Execel files from Codepage 1252 to UTF-8 in

gnumeric-1.8.1/plugins/excel/ms-excel-read.c, function gnm_xl_importer_set_codepage()
(calls gsf_msole_iconv_open_for_import (codepage),

This function is part of libgsf (libgsf-1.14.7/gsf/gsf-msole-utils.c, function gsf_msole_iconv_open_for_import())

(calls gsf_msole_iconv_open_codepage_for_import()),

which is part of glib (calls g_iconv_open()) which calls iconv_open() from libc6 and this icon_open()-calls fail.

So anyone who has and idea how to workaround this, please speak now!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chelli For This Useful Post:
That's definitely something Nokia should fix in their next release.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by cycroft View Post
That's definitely something Nokia should fix in their next release.
- interesting, considering the bug was filed August 2006!

Yes. That's why I urge Nokia to fix it ASAP. Can't be that hard to do it and would actually make Gnumeric usable for MS Excel files which my customers keep sending me. That way I could work on these files on my N810.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by Chelli View Post
So anyone who has and idea how to workaround this, please speak now!
On the bug report Oliver gives some information on what he does to work around it for Streamtuner:

(In reply to comment #6)
The bad hack I use myself in streamtuner is describe here :
http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/
This is called "the libc plug/override mode".

You can check my code and see how I integrate this in streamtuner
This is of course not a good solution to this problem because it's make your
package unnecessary bigger and the launch process more complex but it's works.

I have open this bug in August 2006 for OS2006 !
"They" make the same mistake for OS2007 and now for OS2008
Maybe this bug need more votes to be taken in consideration.
I really don't understand why other developers are not annoyed by this like you
and me. Fortunately I'm very patient ;-)

I have very good news for you: the "cell-format"-bug is fixed, just update Gnumeric in your application manager to the new version 1.8.1-1chinook2. (Assuming that you have the extras-devel repository in your application manager.)

You can thank Eduardo Lima (etrunko), who did the first port of Gnumeric to OS2006 and OS2007, he knew the problem and pointed me to the right bug, including the bugfix. (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=350973)

The bug i mentioned before (#752) was not related to the cell-format bug at all.

Please report all remaining bugs you find to http://garage.maemo.org/projects/gnumeric
(but please check if the bug is allready reported or on the ToDo-List before creating a new one).

Eduardo also joined the project on garage, he has much more experience in c-programming than me, so you can expect much improved packages in the future.

Last edited by Chelli; 2008-02-14 at 23:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chelli For This Useful Post:
So, where do I get the extras-devel repository and how do I get it into my application manager?? (Sorry, I am kind of new to this.)

Thanks!

Edited: Figured out where the repository is - http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.ph...s&show_pck=158

Works for me. Thanks.

Last edited by hillsdalebob; 2008-02-15 at 16:21.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by Chelli View Post
I have very good news for you: the "cell-format"-bug is fixed, just update Gnumeric in your application manager to the new version 1.8.1-1chinook2.

You can thank Eduardo Lima (etrunko), w
Woo hoo! Thanks Chelli and Eduardo! Bravo for making this happen. I'll check it out first thing tomorrow!

Cheers!

Edit: Again thanks...I have tested it and indeed, the cell-format issue, at least in my rather simple files, has been resolved. There are still some hardware-key improvements that would make life easier for data input (I have an N810), but for now, let me just say this is great because it's one of those must-have apps for mt IT!

Last edited by Greyghost; 2008-02-15 at 15:42.

For those of you, who do not have the extras-devel repository in their application manager, here is the .install-file for Gnumeric:

http://mobilevdr.garage.maemo.org/gnumeric.install