Active Topics

I didn't try the webcam until a week after I started using the N800. When I finally popped out the webcam it showed the picture window, then it started to ask me about account setup. I gave it one of my gmail addresses, which it seemed to like. After that I see that green dot on the status display whenever I'm online with my N800.

However, it did one more thing as well at the same time.. it imported _one_ of my gmail contacts (of those I usually see in that 'chat' sidebar when logged into gmail through my desktop computer). I see the status for that person as well, when I look at the contacts list.

But I can't find any way of importing the other gmail/chat contacts! Apparently I have to enter them one by one, full name and all! That much typing is against my principles, that's work for computers.. so what's the necessary magic here?

Good question. I've noticed that my "Google Talk" group in Nokia's Contacts application has quite a few entries in it that appeared automatically. I don't use Google Talk (the desktop application) at all, so I think that list is populated from the entries in my gmail Contacts list.

Having looked at it more closely, I think that "Google Talk" group in Nokia's Contacts application is taken from the "Quick Contacts" list in gmail. At least for me, both of those lists are almost identical. And I bet that if I connected to the internet now, the Contacts application would synchronize those lists.

Come on, Nokia! You give us a Google-syncing Contacts list, but you won't give us a fully-syncing PIM!? Argh!

Yeah, I haven't used the desktop application Google Talk either (as far as I know it's a Windows-only application). But I have several contacts in the "Quick Contacts" list, but only one of them was imported into the N800.

Revisiting this thread: I found out that if the gmail contact is set to "Always" in "Show in Quick Contacts?" (press the 'Contacts' link in gmail) then it'll show up in the N800 contacts list too, otherwise not.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Does that mean that somewhere an API for retrieving Google Contacts exists ?