Notices

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post

So I'll need to switch modRana to another API - either the the Google Places API or some other, hopefully more durable one (recommendations for a suitable local search API are welcome! ).
I would not recommand to use google API. Instead there are several other API using openstreetmap. For instance it is possible to use Open Mapquest:

http://developer.mapquest.com/web/products/open

Especially XAPI: http://open.mapquestapi.com/xapi/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tigre-bleu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
I wouldn't mind the choice or even combination of such searches (combination would give dupes), Google is pretty good at finding places even if nobody entered them on a map - it scrapes the location from the webpages.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Modrana v0.45.4 latest: night theme corrupts map display. Others do not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by tigre-bleu View Post
I would not recommand to use google API. Instead there are several other API using openstreetmap. For instance it is possible to use Open Mapquest:

http://developer.mapquest.com/web/products/open

Especially XAPI: http://open.mapquestapi.com/xapi/
I've been doing a little survey and I think I would use the Overpass API. It is basically a much more powerful & flexible XAPI.

It should also make implementing the current local search features easier - searches like "food" could be implemented like get nodes corresponding to any of a set of food-related amenities.

Stuff like this seems like it would be rather difficult to do with XAPI alone.

Originally Posted by petur View Post
I wouldn't mind the choice or even combination of such searches (combination would give dupes), Google is pretty good at finding places even if nobody entered them on a map - it scrapes the location from the webpages.
Sure, it should be possible to use different backends and to either switch between them or search in all of them at once, but I need to start with one backend and make it work at all first. Of course, patches adding more providers are definitely welcome.

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Modrana v0.45.4 latest: night theme corrupts map display. Others do not.
Strange, I'm not getting this on my N900 - could you start modRana from terminal and post the output here ?

Last edited by MartinK; 2014-03-11 at 23:43.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Strange, I'm not getting this on my N900 - could you start modRana from terminal and post the output here ?
Sure. Log and screenie attached. Gtk interface (qml is v. nice BTW). Nothing in log file AFAICS.

But, having looked at this again, I now see that it is an issue with the overlay maps alone, irrespective of source, rather than using the overlay with a base-map OR with aerial photo.

I only get the corruption with the night theme. Same overlay map and any other theme, switched within a session and all is well.

About aerial photos and the night theme: I do not think that inverting the colours makes sense in this instance. Obscures more than clarifies.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt modrana.txt (5.3 KB, 65 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
About mapnik: I decided that using thumb and non-free will be the best approach - why should we use non-thumb when we can use thumb. Unfortunately no one seems to bother to fix an awful extras-devel import bug: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=112

So when modrana starts to use some mapnik code, let me know and I'll rethink what can be done at that point.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
installing 0.45.7....

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
modRana v0.46.1 has been released !

The two biggest highlights of this release are:
  • local search works again!
    Thanks to Geoff Kuenning, local search works yet again and now uses the the Places API provided by Google. Thanks a lot Geoff!

BTW, I still plan to eventually add support for local search based on OpenStreetMap data (most probably using the Overpass API), but like this we have something that works until then.
  • improved tile handling
    Map drawing and tile download (both automatic and batch) have been improved and should be now faster and more efficient.

Known issues

That theme related map corruption bug has not yet been fixed.

Changelog:
Code:
* Wed Apr 16 2014 Martin Kolman - 0.46.1
- local search works again thanks to a patch provided by Geoff Kuenning - thanks a lot ! :)
- it is now possible to set local search radius in the GTK GUI (in options and directly in the search menu with a toggle button)
- map display and dragging should now be faster
- automatic map tile downloading has been rewritten and should be now more efficient
- batch tile download has been rewritten and improved - should be now more efficient and faster
- the tile handling code is now in much better shape overall
- the batch tile menu in GTK GUI no longer lags and has a more logical structure
- fix tile downloading not working in Sailfish GUI due to Python 3.4 breaking old bundled version of Urllib 3

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Working great! Thanks for the local search fix!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
It seems that I cant download basic Google maps anymore (normal way, not batch download). Other Google maps and for example OSM works, but not basic Google maps. Already downloaded tiles show normally. Terminal give following errors

Code:
mapTiles: tile data returned by remote tileserver was not an image
layer:gmap z:12 x:2370 y:1121
tile url: http://mt1.google.com/vt/&x=12&y=2370&z=1121
NOTE: this probably means that the tileserver returned anerror page in place of the tile, because it doesn't like you
mapTiles: tile data returned by remote tileserver was not an image
layer:gmap z:12 x:2370 y:1120
tile url: http://mt1.google.com/vt/&x=12&y=2370&z=1120
NOTE: this probably means that the tileserver returned anerror page in place of the tile, because it doesn't like you
The urls return google errorpage about malformed request.

Edit: It may be that Modrana is requesting the tile in wrong order (X,Y,Z) and it should be (Z,X,Y). At least when I change the order in url, I get a map tile with my browser.

Last edited by Kossuth; 2014-04-17 at 11:43. Reason: Maybe found the error

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps