Well, I'm using skype like crazy and have been waiting for a Symbian OS version for my Nokia 6680... Whenever VOIP is mentioned for the 770 I always thought somebody could think about supporting skype...
But from what I see in this thread, gtalk will work on the 770, (what is gtalk? google talk?) Could somebody please tell me what actualy is Gtalk? and is there any hope for skype for 770?
Thanks in advance..

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
ercanmetin,

Gtalk is Google's open, standards-based, interoperable IM and VoIP system. More info here:

http://www.google.com/talk/

If Gtalk takes off on the 770, Skype may consider a port. However, their system is closed source and proprietary and so depedent on them. It's telling that Google are only a technology enabler for this, and Nokia developed the entirety of the Gtalk client for the 770 in-house based on existing open source software.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks so much Andrew..
I had Googletalk but it was like the first beta release they had.. That time they didn't have any audio support, and then I have been using trillian never had a chance to update the gtalk. But today I started to play with it... But I apriciate for responding me

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
So far as I gathered from all the back and forth between developers, hibernate mode is pretty deeply rooted in the OS.
That's not really accurate. There isn't a 'hibernate' mode...

Multiple parts of the system pay attention to the state of the lid, and do things based on it. The "btcond" binary pays attention and shuts Bluetooth down when the lid's closed - hack that, and it keeps bluetooth live when the lid's closed.

wlancond is the app that pays attention to the lid for wifi. I'm sure some other app pays attention and turns the display off.

Really, though, that's all that happens when you close the lid...

My hacked btcond lets me leave a connection to the 'net via my cellphone live all the time. I hacked wlancond in the past, and had a Python script that checked the wifi interface's status every so often. If it was dead, it would attempt to reconnect. Worked moderately well walking around the Carnegie Mellon campus, where there is lots of wifi.

So, on the current OS version, if you want to leave wifi open and connected with the lid closed, and you don't go out of range of the base station, you can simply change one single byte in one file and it will stay live...

I went on google.com/talk page as suggested by aflegg and it seems that gtalk works only between pc s. Any chance to have it working as skype (pc to phone)? I found no more info on the google site...

Google talk can also be used with the SIP/pstn network via gtalk2voip.com. I have a free number from IPKall forwarding to my gtalk2voip account, so I can receive calls over pstn for free on gtalk. This is one of the ways I'm looking forward to using gtalk on the 770

I would also like to throw my vote in for the option to keep wlan/bt on when the case is closed. I wouldn't mind having much less battery life, because I have it plugged in most of the time. This is my choice. That's what linux is supposed to be about; choice.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
bhima: Thanks for the insight! I'm in Toronto, and by the end of the summer the downtown core is to be blanketed in WiFi which will allow roaming. Keeping my connection alive with the case closed would be of utmost benefit.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA
"So, on the current OS version, if you want to leave wifi open and connected with the lid closed, and you don't go out of range of the base station, you can simply change one single byte in one file and it will stay live..."

care to be more....specific?
I'm working on making this same thing work...getting the 770 to 'roam' from one hotspot to the next. Any pointers??