Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
I installed Canola1 as UPnP control software on my 770 and it seems to work fine. But I haven't found any possibility to change the UPnP playback device, like in Nokia Media Streamer, where I can choose between the 770 and an UPnP playback device connected to the network. Can't this be done with Canola1?

Axel

Last edited by sommerfee; 2008-02-17 at 16:14.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi sommerfree, Canola1 development stopped a year ago so we could focus on canola2, and this was missing at the time. This will be added to Canola2 final version, but it's under testing right now : /

Sorry for that axel,

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Hello Marcelo,

Thanks for the quick reply! So I will wait for Canola2, no problem, it just increases the excitement at the prospect of the upcoming version.

Can it be setup in future Canola2 so you don't have to change the playback device every time you start Canola? (You have to change it every time within Media Streamer, which is very annoying.)

Axel

Well, sommerfee... I'm really not an expect in the UPNP area, but as far as I know..
I have asked the guys if the UPNP plugin could remember the server (because if it's your server at home why not display a ball menu for it already? instead of searching?) but it seems that this "data" about the service is a little bit more dynamic.

Anyways I will check again and if possible let this always as option (latest succeful device or local playback if the first is not available )

BR

Hi Marcelo,

Originally Posted by handful View Post
I have asked the guys if the UPNP plugin could remember the server (because if it's your server at home why not display a ball menu for it already? instead of searching?) but it seems that this "data" about the service is a little bit more dynamic.
This seems to fit to the behavior of the Nokia Media Streamer application. If you start it, you only see the Nokia as playback device, it needs about 1-5 seconds until the names of the UPnP playback devices are available and selectable.

But why not add the possibility to setup a preferred UPnP playback device in Canola2, so as soon as the right device name came dynamically in via UPnP, the playback device will be changed to this device automatically?

Axel

Hii Axel,

The problem is not setting up the name, protocol wise the name doesn't guarantee anything... and the application can not make sure is the same device. Of course we can fake it, but is not wise do fake things =)

Marcelo

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
May be inadvertently mixing UPnP server(s) and player(s) in posts in this thread.

In the Nokia Media streamer Application you first select the UPnP Server i.e. TVersity, Twonky and then if you don't wish to playback material on the NIT you need to select another UPnP Player i.e. in my case Philips SL300i (Which conforms to "UPnP Renderer" spec and is therefore recognised by Media Streamer)

It would be good if Canola2 to default to both the server and player if they are alive/available on the network.

Would also be great to know what devices would be recognised as UPnP players by Canola (and Media streamer)

Hi Marcelo,

The problem is not setting up the name, protocol wise the name doesn't guarantee anything... and the application can not make sure is the same device.
Ok, but how high are the chances that a different device pops in with the same name? I only have one UPnP playback device and it always reports the same device name to the Nokia. So I didn't see your point here... Does it make sense to drop such useful feature, only because the application can not make 100% sure it's the same/right device?

Of course we can fake it, but is not wise do fake things =)
It's not clear to me what you have to fake here.

I wish I could setup my hifi UPnP playback device called "ABCD" as default playback device so when Canola2 gets reported about the existence of the UPnP device "ABCD" it changes the playback device to this device automatically (if not already set), so I do not have to do that by hand as first step after starting Canola2. (Like I have to do with Nokia Media Streamer.) If this needs 1-5 seconds because the UPnP devices are reported dynamically, I don't care since it's still better than having to wait 1-5 seconds and do this by hand every time.

Axel

The thing is, what you say it's kind of 'obvious' for the user point of view, but we need to take care a LOT with things like security, privacy, and all other things.. that users only care when things go bad.

I'm not saying that it could do wrong things, but imagine that following : a lot of people simply don't name their media server. So in programming we use more "accurate" data to validate this, of course we can do, a "select by name" but it takes a little bit (like you saw on mediastreamer). So I know you don't care about one casual missing but we do.

But as I said: it makes so much sense, that I actually wanted to give you guys the ability to create a server "ball" for your favorite server... but we will figure out how to do it, and better how to improve this inital time..maintain this favorite always on.. etc.

But also keep in mind : we need to investigate any colaterall effects before... : /

Hi Marcelo,

Thanks for your answer and your support, I really appreciate that

But as I said: it makes so much sense, that I actually wanted to give you guys the ability to create a server "ball" for your favorite server...
Just to get sure: I'm not talking about pre-selecting the server, but the playback device.

Best regards,
Axel