Closed Thread
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@aegis no you wrong. what updated in 1.0.8.21: http://paste.ubuntu.com/8509489/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
It seems to work now whereas it didn't before so it's not a placebo regardless of if it was that bug or not so it does look like they snuck in a fix.
i also have the feeling, that it's better after the update, that's why i looked up this bug

sometimes the offset is really big and annoying and sometimes there is no offset for a while, so when we both have no offset after updating, maybe it's because of the reboot that followed the update?

maybe it gets worse over time and can be reset be a reboot?

i will keep an eye on that...

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I have. What you say rather confirms what I was thinking. I just hope there will be some major improvements by year end. Even if not for current or prospective users, Sailfish is still in dire need of UX and feature upgrades by MWC in early March ... otherwise I can't see too much business coming their way. Also, if they don't make the rather vapid "H2" commitment for paid apps, and remove most of the existing restrictions, things aren't looking great.
Too bad you're wrong because Jolla is currrently in talks with a few phone manufactuers. So business is coming their way despite the 'lack of UX upgrades'.

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Too bad you're wrong because Jolla is currrently in talks with a few phone manufactuers. So business is coming their way despite the 'lack of UX upgrades'.
source?

10ch

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
source?

10ch
#googlethatshit

http://www.jollausers.com/2014/09/vi...n-sailfish-os/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Don't see how Jolla saying that third parties are 'interested' negates any of what I said. FYI, they said the same thing 2 years ago. They're 3 years old now and don't yet have a partnership, which tends to suggest that either 3rd parties are taking a wait and see approach or aren't currently interested. Until they announce deals with third party OEMs or licensing, talking to people doesn't mean much.

Anyway, MWC is the biggest time of the year for almost any mobile phone company, and if Jolla can't show any significant progress in basic UX and features (what matters the most to end users) in the last year, then they'll have a very tough time striking many deals. MWC is particularly important for Jolla, as they aren't intending to enter the North American market for some time and have limited or no presence at other trade shows, and don't have the resources to fly journalists and important industry figures out to bombastic press events of their own. Once a year they have a captive audience of almost all the major carriers, OEMs and journalists ... if they miss goals for this year, then they won't get a chance like it again until the spring of '16. It's vital both in terms of press & exposure and meeting prospective clients, and absolutely fundamental to their success.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-10-06 at 20:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
MWC is particularly important for Jolla, as they aren't intending to enter the North American market for some time and have limited or no presence at other trade shows ... both in terms of press & exposure and meeting prospective clients, it's fundamental to their success.
There's no denying that. But given the fact Jolla houses talents from Nokia (I mean: they used to work there) I'm pretty sure they're not stupid. Nokia was a giant player in the market so Jolla has the knowledge of how to present themselves at least. Their current approach might not be in the footsteps of that knowledge, but the fact that they have that knowledge will serve them in in the long run. It would've been waaaaay harder had they all started from scratch.

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 140 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Andromeda Galaxy
Hi guys..

it's unbelievable but I'm having trouble wheeling this one in (the update)
i have disabled my repos
removed patches
rebooted serval times...
it's downloading the update but when i try to install the update it shows me the installation bar but it stops after just seconds and then reboots...
After reboot i go through same process so update won't install..

Am i missing something here ? Thanks in advance
PS i have clamav installed wich i,m having a hard time removing..(tried almost everything) could that be the “problem"

Kind Regards J Neutron...

The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy neutron For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
@aegis no you wrong. what updated in 1.0.8.21: http://paste.ubuntu.com/8509489/
@coderus, how do you get the list of pending updates?
That looks like output of some zypper command but I cannot find what it is?

Don't see how Jolla saying that third parties are 'interested' negates any of what I said. FYI, they said the same thing 2 years ago. They're 3 years old now and don't yet have a partnership, which tends to suggest that either 3rd parties are taking a wait and see approach or aren't currently interested. Until they announce deals with third party OEMs or licensing, talking to people doesn't mean much.
Most likely those OEMs are looking how SailfishOS is developing and maturing. So far pace has been pretty fast. However, there are several critical components missing, like limitations in Jolla store, native mapping/navigation software etc. Those need to be ironed out before OEM's will make big investments. Also, those OEMs are not like Jolla, it will take them a lot of time to release finalized product, so even if such partnerships were to be finalized, let's say, in November, it will be at least July 2015 before products roll out to customers.

Anyway, MWC is the biggest time of the year for almost any mobile phone company, and if Jolla can't show any significant progress in basic UX and features (what matters the most to end users) in the last year, then they'll have a very tough time striking many deals.
Basic UX has matured a lot over time. However, if you mean by those features that they would need to change the whole UI paradigm to something else, then no, that won't happen. There are many improvements and features in pipeline, but it won't happen in one or two months. IMO it seems like the monthly update release cycle has somehow been interpreted as if everything should happen at once and if [insert some feature here] is missing from next update, or is some big update is late by couple of weeks, it's the end of everything and there is "no progress in anything" and "it's all talk".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
edging, jollasoap, sailfish update