Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Yeah, the day 1 is almost over. The first thought that comes to mind: I love this phone! Basically, I've used it for photo taking and music listening. It is outstanding feeling to open up the kickstand and listen .flac format music in stereo. I really missed that... Photos with stock camera at 3,5MP are pretty impressive, opposite to LG 13MP rubbish pics. As for gaming, I reached for Android to play some billiards, but no, I played Mahjong on N900 ultimately. But the utter pleasure came when I got home and plugged it in Linux pc, chose mass storage mode and, "voila", there was no hassle whatsoever. There was no stupid MTP, no camera phone, no modem, nothing weird.... Nokia - Connecting people, and devices too.
Tomorrow to-do list: e-mail, couple of decent games, CLI scripting.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,196 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by xanderx View Post
Tomorrow to-do list: e-mail, couple of decent games, CLI scripting.
I am not ashamed to admit that my score in Flappy Bird N900 port is 85. On Jolla my max is 50.
N900 helps boost self confidence by large percentage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
As an accidental tribute to the mighty N900 week a new version of the modRana flexible navigation system has been released!

-- modRana - helping N900s find their way since 2010 --

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Hi All!

OK, since I found this thread, I decided to post a short (?) reply on how I use my n900.
So; let me start at the beginning: I bought mine in November 2010, after my 9 (!) years old Alcatel died (well, its’ battery died, not the phone). I spent weeks to find a phone that fits my needs (making calls, send SMS. That was all, yes…). The market was full with clever phones, I read tests about them. I almost made a wrong choice but at last I chose n900. I was new to Linux at that time, after messing with Vista (!) and changing that to Ubuntu on my laptop.
Anyway, it was quite weird to have a touch screen, but I got used to it. I loved the features, so I started playing with it. Of course I messed it up, lost some of my data, but could get some back. This was my fault (OK, transmission app did some strange things that time), but I learned a lot. First of all that I have to be careful; not just with the n900, but everything else. I started to think and see the area of informatics differently (not as if I had/have any connection to it, I’m completely newbie).
I started to discover things, as my needs flared. Tried out many-many apps, some images (pwn for example) and maybe I can say that today it reached the state I always wanted.
I use it with CSSU Stable, kernel-power, and installed many apps for pentesting (the ones that are not available is repos, I gave a try from the pwn image), as well as Easy Ubuntu. I also have backtrack5 (considering remove it) for fun (tried whether it is really possible to use it via VNC inside the n900). The n900 allows me to upscale it to 1100 MHz – use it only if I run hungry apps (pentest, Easy Ubuntu or its’ apps). For the night I scale it down to 250 MHz and turn it to offline mode. In this way the battery (original which I bought the n900 with!) still can drive the n900 for 2 days if I’m not using hungry apps for long.
Once in a week I drain the battery fully, then I remove it from the device and clear the device’s hardware to keep it clean inside and outside then plug it again until it is fully charged. I keep it in a case my girlfriend made me.
The device has everything that I ever needed, and for me freedom is everything. I can change whatever I want whenever I want… I have to say that I barely use my laptop, I passed that to my other half (my woman ). I use it as my main phone, photo machine, photo editor, entertaining system (draw, music, movie), programming device etc… It supports my life as I want it to be within a technical world. Of course it would be great to have stronger hardware, but optimizing the software can do a great job; RAM and MHz isn’t everything I think…
Besides when I read tests, user experiences about other, freshly released phones I’m amazed about the “new features”, which the n900 already have; and had 5 years ago… So I can’t find any device that possibly could replace my old n900. I’m thinking about Jolla, but I do not have the patience to test and solve everything like with the n900 in the last 4 years.
There is one little thing that I still miss: it would be great to able to run .rus maps on it (in my country the best tourist maps are available in this format. Although there is a partnership towards openstreetmap, but still not the best, as Modrana is capable to run these openstreetmap tourist maps as a layer, but the maps aren’t so detailed yet.), so I wouldn’t have to carry my old iPAQ on a trip

And of course I have to thank All of you who made this little device such a nice thing to play with!

Cheers,

jm

Last edited by justmemory; 2014-10-07 at 12:22.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Have fixed the N900 with a brand new flex cable, cleaned it outside inside, installed a brand new KB, added 64GB Samsung Evo SDXC, reflashed and updated to latest Thumb2. The Rover is making me very happy everyday. My black N9 64GB has been collecting dust on the shelve for quite some time.
Whatta week, whatta life on the Maemo side.

Last edited by beobachter; 2014-10-07 at 13:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beobachter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I have been back at my second N900 full time after I smashed the screen of my N9. Now the N900 is once again being used as primary phone, agenda and what not. But it has never been out of use, as the terminal would still provide me with so much goodies, the N9 could never make up for. Not to mention that every night it played (and continues to do so) me lullabies from the mpd server on my raspberry pi, for years now. The speakers on this little beast are still a joy to hear. MyPaint still a great waste of time.

I like the N9, and Harmattan as well, I really do, for as a phone it works better than the N900, but for the all the other use cases the N900 is still going strong. Stronger than any other phone.

And recently I changed the screen of my first N900, so I hope both of them will be with me for another while.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Today is the game day!

Played OpenDune on my way home from work. What a glorious game with a generous sandworm. I can recommend that if you like very slow strategy games. Im not a gamer, but its a classic and working very good: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=open+dune

In Extras:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/opendune/

THX smoku!

Whats the best game for n900?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-10-07 at 17:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
I love Mokomaze.
My N900 is turned on half a week.
But I have to buy a set of really small screwdrivers and a better soldering iron tip because I'm planning to solder the usb port. And when I fix my N900 I'll pretty it up with a nice mask and a screen protector.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Some rock solid n900 game pads

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Today is the game day!

Played OpenDune on my way home from work. What a glorious game with a generous sandworm. I can recommend that if you like very slow strategy games. Im not a gamer, but its a classic and working very good: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=open+dune

In Extras:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/opendune/

THX smoku!

http://devs.opendune.org/~truebrain/...%20Ingame2.png

Whats the best game for n900?
THERE IS DUNE FOR N900!?!?!?!?!

How didn't I never know of this... I would have never left the N900 sit in drawer at home when I knew I would be bored to death at work

Unfortunately my N900 week came to an unfortunately early stop

I did get my phone flashed, did CSSU, installed some stuff that I could still remember from top of my head, but the battery proved to be so dead that I can't start using this one. The batterymeter shows me 0.4%, then goes to 54%, phone dies on low battery. I charge for two hours, might only get 17%. I did already order an replacement battery, but it might not make it even till weekend. Well, I might just do this next week

I really have to THANK Dave for this really nice thread.

It truly cave me inspiration to pick this old, but superb phone up again and ispired me. For me it is not the best phone I have used, N9 takes that one with clear margin, but there is truly something special in using it. Even if I can only feel fraction of that what many here do feel for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, nokia n900, supertroopers!