Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I like the social feed screen that is shown on the Jolla tablet sign up site. I did think this was going to appear of the phone at the outset but no sign other than twitter. It is one USP the N9 had and was very handy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I like the social feed screen that is shown on the Jolla tablet sign up site. I did think this was going to appear of the phone at the outset but no sign other than twitter. It is one USP the N9 had and was very handy.
Just switched my N9 on for the first time in months to see what the situation with Nokia closing stores is going to do to it. A: Nothing yet by the looks of it.

I swiped into the Events view and remembered what is so, so missing on my Jolla. Sigh. Sort it out Sailors! I hope we're not going to wait for the Tablet in May for some of those Sailfish 2.0 features.

The N9 seemed really, really slow though compared to my Jolla, even after waiting for it to catch up on everything since August; the last time I switched it on. I also forgot how pretty the solid colours and the inky black OLED screen are compared with Sailfish's transparencies and LCD screen. Oh Nokia!

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2014 @ California
Jolla Oy , Where is update 10 ?

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Well the idea is if they can't finalize the update by the end if this week they won't be releasing it.
So if we don't get the update by Friday we will get it only after the new year.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
I also enjoyed that combined social feed in Harmattan. Should be possible to reinvent and even improve upon. While N9 code for that was likely closed they might remember how to do it or steal from Gwibber or something. How I'd like the N9 social feed improved on Sailfish would be the ability to reply or retweet or such without pressing and opening a separate application. We had a statusnet addon written by the community, I could use that again and diaspora would be nice. Maybe eventually pump.io

The Following User Says Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Zoloo View Post
Jolla Oy , Where is update 10 ?
For some reason this thread reminds me of this one...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...e+flash&page=1

lol. Just kidding. Take time and get it right.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
For some reason this thread reminds me of this one...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...e+flash&page=1
On the exception of course that flasy-10 was never going to come anyway and that's okay since everybody knew that and besides, nobody uses flash anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
On the exception of course that flasy-10 was never going to come anyway and that's okay since everybody knew that and besides, nobody uses flash anyway.
Wait a minute! By your highlights are you are implying that

1)The update is never going to come.
2)Everybody really knows that is not going to come.
3)Nobody uses sailfish anyways!

or the opposite?

By the phrase "On the exception..." you must mean the opposite. Whew! I feel better now!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Just switched my N9 on for the first time in months to see what the situation with Nokia closing stores is going to do to it. A: Nothing yet by the looks of it.

I swiped into the Events view and remembered what is so, so missing on my Jolla. Sigh. Sort it out Sailors! I hope we're not going to wait for the Tablet in May for some of those Sailfish 2.0 features.

The N9 seemed really, really slow though compared to my Jolla, even after waiting for it to catch up on everything since August; the last time I switched it on. I also forgot how pretty the solid colours and the inky black OLED screen are compared with Sailfish's transparencies and LCD screen. Oh Nokia!
Agree. It's also in dire need of status / notification bar at the top. Having to half swipe out of applications / swipe up from home screen to see time, date, network info, wifi and any notifications is pretty bad, both when actively using the phone, or it's just sitting on your desk. It breaks workflow, takes time and is totally unergonomic. Only phone that doesn't have this feature, and it's sorely lacking.

WRT to OLED. The new AMOLED on the Samsung Note 4 and Note 4 EDGE is absolutely spectacular, but whilst I loved the blacks on the N9 (and active lock screen), colour accuracy and banding were extremely poor. Terrible as the Jolla's LCD is for a phone of its price in 2014, I'd still take it over the N9's screen. I haven't seen any phones in person using AUO's OLED units since the N9, so not sure what they're like now. All the Chinese phones with OLEDs that I've seen (in person) this year were using lower bin / previous gen Samsung panels; they were very good, but not in the same league as the current Samsung phablets. Whilst a good quality OLED on the next Jolla might be nice, I don't think they have anything like enough buying power to get it at a reasonable price, so it's very unlikely. Honestly, that's not terrible, since a good quality FHD would be a gigantic upgrade from the ultra-low quality qHD screen on the existing phone.

But as far as a new phone is concerned. A friend living in Tampere heard some bad news (rumours) ... they haven't had enough cash and are struggling to develop a new one.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I can't agree about the status bar. I'd rather have the screen real estate than a status bar full of tiny icons that I can't figure out.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: