Notices

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Cambridge, UK
I have a Canon IXUS 800 IS digital camera that is happy to write images to an RS-MMC (+ adaptor). High quality images are 2816x2112.

What I would like is an app that can shrink these images to a size suitable for e-mail "postcard" attachments that I could send using my Nokia 770 + Nokia 6600.

On Linux I could use something like:

djpeg big.jpg | pnmscalefixed -xsize=1024 -ysize=768 | cjpeg > small.jpg

I suppose I could try to port theses comand line utilities and use them with xterm.

Anyone tried anything similar? Have any better suggstions?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by john_connett
I have a Canon IXUS 800 IS digital camera that is happy to write images to an RS-MMC (+ adaptor). High quality images are 2816x2112.

What I would like is an app that can shrink these images to a size suitable for e-mail "postcard" attachments that I could send using my Nokia 770 + Nokia 6600.

On Linux I could use something like:

djpeg big.jpg | pnmscalefixed -xsize=1024 -ysize=768 | cjpeg > small.jpg

I suppose I could try to port theses comand line utilities and use them with xterm.

Anyone tried anything similar? Have any better suggstions?
This is a very silly one, but easy to do in practice:
Download process graph applet.
Use settings to set delayed screenshot to 3 secs.
Open the image you want to send in normal image viewer.
Set screenshot to be taken
Go to fullscreen mode
Wait a few secs.
You should now have a nice scaled image in your images folder.

I surely hope there is a better way as well, but I thought that this might work for you as well.

I seriously think someone should port a small easy-to use and simple image app for 770 for digi pic fixing purposes.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Perhaps you could convince Teemu to add stuff you need to his flickr app:
http://www.teemuharju.net/2006/05/23/maemoflickr/
I haven't tested it, so might be that scaling is already there.

u could try www.pxn8.com - where u can upload pics from ur pc and edit the photo online

or set up a photobucket account, where all the pics u upload are resized to a smaller size

these are certainly GUI friendly

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by konttori
Perhaps you could convince Teemu to add stuff you need to his flickr app:
http://www.teemuharju.net/2006/05/23/maemoflickr/
I haven't tested it, so might be that scaling is already there.
Yep.. it will be possible to scale images with my MaemoFlickr app. Though it will not be a image editing application. I'm using the Python Imaging library (http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/) and that can also be used from command line to crop, rotate, scale etc. images.

I just noticed that there is a bug in the script included in PIL that prevents resizing images. I can fix that and post some examples how images can be edited using PIL later today.

www.teemuharju.net

Originally Posted by konttori
This is a very silly one, but easy to do in practice:
Download process graph applet.
Use settings to set delayed screenshot to 3 secs.
Open the image you want to send in normal image viewer.
Set screenshot to be taken
Go to fullscreen mode
Wait a few secs.
You should now have a nice scaled image in your images folder.

I surely hope there is a better way as well, but I thought that this might work for you as well.

I seriously think someone should port a small easy-to use and simple image app for 770 for digi pic fixing purposes.
Except that the built-in image viewer won't load images that big, hence the need to shrink them. Or find another viewer. Opera *sometimes* loads images that the image viewer won't, but it's very hit-and-miss and awkward to open the files.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I am looking for a simple, command-line resizing/cropping tool, too. (I'd still love to have imagemagick on the 770, but any working alternative will do.)

I never knew about the online services, but of course they are not really helpful: After all, the reason why I want to make pics smaller is that I want to avoid sending the large files over a GPRS-connection. :-)

Teemu, how would I get the Python Imaging library onto my 770? Is there a package I can install?

Originally Posted by benny1967
Teemu, how would I get the Python Imaging library onto my 770? Is there a package I can install?
Yep... I've created the installer and you can get it from here (http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tsharju/pymaemo/). It requires also pymaemo runtime. There seems to be a bug in the PIL release in the command line script that can be used to resize images. I'll fix it and post a fixed installer package later today. However, I don't know how slow it will be to resize very large photos.

www.teemuharju.net

Ok... now I have the working pil package available for download. You can download it from here (http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tsharju/pymaemo). After installing it you will have some scripts in your /var/lib/install/usr/bin directory. I'd recommend adding this directory to your PATH so the scripts are easier to use. You can do that by typing...

Code:
export PATH=/var/lib/install/usr/bin:$PATH
To make things easier you can make a file called .profile and place it in the /home/user folder. After reboot, that line will then be automatically executed.

After this you'll be able to use the Python Imaging Library for modifying images. For example you can resize an image by typing...

Code:
pildriver.py save smaller.jpg resize 320 240 open larger.jpg
You can also do lots of other things with pil. Go here for more details. Check especially the part III of the document to see what you can do from the terminal.

www.teemuharju.net

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It works! Cant believe it. See, this is what I love about the 770: I bought a device for surfing the web and reading mails - now its a picture editing tool, a chat client and an ebook-reader. Without extra cost ;-)

Thank you, teemu, for pointing me to this application.

I have to dig into the pil-documentation a bit. There's more than resizing... But for a start: Is it possible to give only one parameter (width) when resizing and have pil simply keep the ascpect ratio? From what I see, (size) always requires width and height. What I would like to do first is go through a directory of pictures and shrink all of them to 120px width, keeping the aspect ratio, and save them as filename-120.jpg; thats hard if you dont know what to use as height for each picture...

Last edited by benny1967; 2006-05-26 at 15:21.