Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
I've found mine with a hairline crack through the power connector on both sides - not quite touching the USB connector and going the other direction a few mm.

So the USB connector isn't even involved with my crack - and I've been pretty careful with it too.

I'm going to wait and see, but I'm afraid the crack is growing slowly...

Brad.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What about usage? Given that it's the center of the case, d'you guys use it without the cover? Twisting (even slightly) might do it.

Wireless makes a very good point. It wouldn't be very nice if something happens to the device, and they say:

"Oh, we can't help you, your warranty is void because you've seem to have dropped your unit *points at crack*"...

Maybe I'll show them this thread then.

(Dear Nokia, I'm quite certain, 99% that my unit came with the fracture)

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
What about usage? Given that it's the center of the case, d'you guys use it without the cover? Twisting (even slightly) might do it.
I have also noticed a lot of people try opening the case by grabbing it in the middle at the bottom and pulling the 770 out of the top. That actually makes it harder to open as it squeezes the little spring catch closed. These days I open the cover for them and slide it on the back before I let people play with it.

I just noticed two cracks on my German-made unit; I got it during the main developer rush. One of them touches the headphone socket and goes away from the screen to nothing. It looks like it will eventually start to crack off.

The other crack is at the opposite end of the "protrusion" out the bottom, on the side of the screen. It looks like there's a hairline fracture that touches the mold line and curves towards the main body of the unit. I'll try to get a picture.

My unit has been looked after fairly well, I believe. It gets used, but not abused.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
Mine has yet to develop a crack, but every time I read this thread I examine mine with a magnifying glass, with dread. I've had mine about six months, so far so good.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
while waiting for the 2006 OS I took my chance and sent my 770 to be fixed yesterday. 770 had cracks on both sides of USB. At first only btw USb and power. There's no guarantee that the crack has stopped or is the only one to be found.
This talk about handling the device like with silk cloves sounds strange to me. This kind of every day- where ever- equipment should tolerate normal handling. I just wonder what would happen, if the 770 was accidentally dropped on the floor (which has not happened to mine)! I'm now eagerly waiting for Nokia's response and action.

This morning I noticed that the fracture on my device had grown and is now on the other side of the USB port too.

Unbelivable, how can the fracture behave like that. I'm beginning to see a pattern so I mailed nokia and will have to take it in for service when I go into the city...

New photo:

pPrevious pic from not many days ago:

Last edited by cybe; 2006-05-23 at 19:28. Reason: added old pic too

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
pattern is exactly like in my 770 which I sent to Nokia for repair

Got 'em on mine too. Only mine has affected my stereo out and it will only play in the left channel unless I hold the plug towards the back of the unit. Contacted Nokia about it and they're telling me I'll have to pay $100.