though the manual says not to leave it plugged in after the battery is fully charged and doing so may/will damage the unit, who here leaves it on the charger continously?

i personaly dont but i find this odd.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by c_legaspi
though the manual says not to leave it plugged in after the battery is fully charged and doing so may/will damage the unit, who here leaves it on the charger continously?

Right off-hand, I would say people who are <excessively> worried about running out of battery...

Right off-hand, I would say people who like using a portable device that's attached to the wall ...

Right off-hand, I would say people who examine the battery level meter with a microscope...

Well. Now that we've handled that...

I have a bad habit of leaving it plugged in some of the day and most of the night. I use ORB and the internet radio a lot so the battery charge doesnt last. But I havent noticed any ill-effects/issues.

I wasnt aware that Nokia recommends NOT having the unit plugged in after the battery is charged.....thanks for this info.

I leave it plugged in all night, almost every night. What the manual says is odd. I would think that any modern electronic device with a lith ion battery would be able to shut off the charging mode. Even the software knows when it's full. Perhaps the tech writer was stuck in the 80s?

Originally Posted by Jeffgrado
I leave it plugged in all night, almost every night. What the manual says is odd. I would think that any modern electronic device with a lith ion battery would be able to shut off the charging mode. Even the software knows when it's full. Perhaps the tech writer was stuck in the 80s?
That's possible. However, there is one issue with LiIon batteries:

They don't like being left at 100% charge for very long. They don't last as long if you keep them at 100% forever. My PowerBook, for example, lets the battery move between around 95% and 100% if you leave the charger plugged in all the time. Once it hits 100% is stops charging it, and lets it discharge slowly on its own.

It's quite possible that the 770 only has a basic LiIon charger. It won't cause the battery to blow up or overheat, but it may shorten its life.

I don't, unfortunately, have any real idea how long it's 'safe' to leave the battery at 100% for. To some extent, I try to use it "reasonably" and just assume that its battery is a consumable.

I guess the real question is: If the battery is at 100%, should you unplug it, use it for 3 hours, charge it for 3 hours, or does that shorten the battery's life more than 6 hours at 100%?

Originally Posted by c_legaspi

I charge mine overnight, everynight, since February. I have not noticed any ill effects. The battery only cost $30, so worst case is I buy a new battery. I doubt it will damage the unit. I am too lazy to check the charge status, and I know it will be charged in the morning

Originally Posted by putkowski
Right off-hand, I would say people who are <excessively> worried about running out of battery...

Right off-hand, I would say people who like using a portable device that's attached to the wall ...

Right off-hand, I would say people who examine the battery level meter with a microscope...

Well. Now that we've handled that...
If i use my Nokia770 in the evening until the battery is emty, then i stand up three hours later to unplug it, when the batterie is full.