Hi Patti:

I just wrote a guide based on the link you posted, but with more explanations and hopefully easier to follow. It can be found here: http://internettablettalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=12916

I incorporates the WLAN fix as part of the instruction. As for the kernel hack for speed increase, it works on my 2GB Kingston MMC card but I am unsure whether you can use it with other cards especially for the multiblock. Fanoush will be able to help you better.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your post. If you have already moved your OS to your MMC without the WLAN fix already installed, then you may already have some corrupted data. Installing the fix now will stop the device from corrupting any more data, but it will not fix data that has been corrupted already. You can try installing the fix and see if your device is stable. Otherwise, I would recommend reflashing the device and follow my guide to boot off MMC again.

That would be great Serge. I should be able to integrate it into my initrd without too much problem.

Yeah, I guess I'll figure out scratchbox since everyone else is using it. Anyone build a GCC4.1 or 4.2 toolchain yet?

Thanks!
-J

Originally Posted by Serge View Post
I can share a precompiled binary, but installing it is a bit tricky. Maybe fanoush can add two versions of cx3110x.ko to the memory corruption bugfix installer, with the option to choose between normal and highspeed version. On the other hand, I have some more patches added, one of them retries waking up wlan chip if the first attempt failed (standard driver just sets internal error flag and stops working properly if such error occurs). From the user's point of view, it looks like a sudden loss of connection while wlan indicator shows that it is still online, this problem disappears after reconnecting. Error messages in dmesg are somewhat similar to https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329
Subjectively this problem seems to happen more often at higher McBSP bus frequency, while I also have seen it when running wlan driver at normal speed.

I never tried compiling kernel outside scratchbox. Installing scratchox would be a good idea anyway unless you are looking for extra problems/new experience Step by step instructions for compiling kernel and cx3110x can be found in maemo wiki.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by joshin View Post
That would be great Serge. I should be able to integrate it into my initrd without too much problem.
Check the attached file. It works for me, but I don't know if the resulting McBSP (SPI bus which connects OMAP and WLAN chips) clock frequency is within a valid range. Use at your own risk

Yeah, I guess I'll figure out scratchbox since everyone else is using it. Anyone build a GCC4.1 or 4.2 toolchain yet?
You can find more toolchains for scratchbox here:
http://scratchbox.org/download/files...ophis/tarball/
The following tarballs contain gcc 4.x toolchains:
scratchbox-toolchain-arm-linux-2006q1-6-1.0.4-i386.tar.gz
scratchbox-toolchain-arm-linux-2006q3-27-1.0.6-1-i386.tar.gz
Attached Files
File Type: zip cx3110x-overclocked.zip (29.7 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by Serge; 2007-12-13 at 19:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
OMAP1710 should have hardware acceleration for DES/3DES. I wonder if it would be possible/realistic to patch kernel and openssh to use it?
Replying to myself There seems to be some ongoing work related to adding support for hardware accelerated security stuff on OMAP2420: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.omap/6804

So far so good, thanks Serge!

Check the attached file. It works for me, but I don't know if the resulting McBSP (SPI bus which connects OMAP and WLAN chips) clock frequency is within a valid range. Use at your own risk

Last edited by joshin; 2007-12-19 at 17:02. Reason: fix quote

Is there anybody interested to try even faster 'overclocked' version of WLAN driver for Nokia 770? I just got it working yesterday, so it's still experimental stuff

Posted in another thread:

===
I'm maintaining a library of ebooks on a N800 for myself and a 770 for my wife. The N800 is running OS2008 and the 770 OS2007HE. The storage cards in each are formatted ext3.

When running rsync to update the libraries, I'm seeing a major difference in speed via wireless: The N800 regularly sees transfer speeds from the central library of 600-750 kB/s. However, the 770 is markedly slower, with speeds ranging from 21 kB/s to 300 kB/s, usually staying on the low side.

Are these slow speeds to be expected with the 770?

Thanks,
Jeff
===

Serge replied and pointed me here where I grabbed the overclock wifi module. I'm sorry to say, I don't see much difference. I'm now seeing an upper cap of around 300 kB/s and lower cap of 30 kB/s.

I'm using the following script to sync:
Code:
#! /bin/bash

[ $# -eq 0 ] && { echo >&2 Missing argument, type "booksync tabletname"; exit 1; }

echo starting sync with $1

sudo rsync --verbose  --progress --stats --compress --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh \
--recursive --times --perms --links --delete \
--exclude "*bak" --exclude "*~" \
/software/books/* $1:/media/mmc1/books/

Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Serge replied and pointed me here where I grabbed the overclock wifi module. I'm sorry to say, I don't see much difference. I'm now seeing an upper cap of around 300 kB/s and lower cap of 30 kB/s.
How did you test it? Installing wlan driver is not so easy. I have attached the latest revision of the driver (still experimental) and here is some short usage instruction:
This driver is provided 'as is' and without any warranty. While I successfully
use this driver myself on my Nokia 770, it is not known if it makes the
hardware operate out of its specifications.

================================================== =============================

More details about this driver can be found here:
https://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/c...ry/000019.html

15mhz version is probably a safe and reliable choice.

21mhz is the highest clock frequency which seems to work on the device (with some
glitches that need workarounds), so using it may be much more risky.

================================================== ==============================

You can load optimized wlan driver and test it by doing the following:

1. copy the modified driver cx3110x-optimized-15mhz.ko somewhere to your device
2. login as root
3. run the following commands in the directory with cx3110x-optimized-15mhz.ko:

rmmod cx3110x
insmod cx3110x-optimized-15mhz.ko
chroot /mnt/initfs /usr/bin/wlan-cal

4. connect to wireless network
5. test performance/stability of your network connection

To ensure that the driver has really loaded, you can check 'dmesg' log. You should
see something like this after loading driver:
[ 64.257110] McBSP2: freq_limit=16MHz, base_freq=63MHz, div=3 (15.7MHz)
[ 64.257659] Loading 3825.arm firmware
[ 64.453460] (c)opyright 2004 Conexant
Attached Files
File Type: zip n770-optimized-wlan-driver.zip (56.6 KB, 331 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
How did you test it? Installing wlan driver is not so easy. I have attached the latest revision of the driver (still experimental) and here is some short usage instruction:
Thanks.

I modified my /etc/init.d/rcS script to unload cx3110x.ko then load the modified cx3110x.ko module. As I said, not much change. However, I did not run chroot /mnt/initfs /usr/bin/wlan-cal. I downloaded the new modules, added the new step for wlan-cal and retested. Result: improved! The 15mhz module performed with an upper limit of 400 kB/s while the 21Mhz version topped out at 580 kB/s.

I still get pauses during transfers every so often (~ 10 seconds) that reduce overall throughput that I don't see on the N800, but these modules definitely work.

Jeff