Active Topics

I mentioned that I'm running the OS2007HE (SU-18_2007HACKER_4.2007.46-3_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin) which I believe is the most current. Do I need to reflash a fanoush kernel as well?

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
It is important to have a high speed kernel with multiblock write support (HE firmware images are still provided by Nokia and they do not seem to take the risk of including high speed MMC patches). Multiblock write support is very important for fast moving data to the device

Without the high speed MMC kernel, no matter how fast WLAN driver can fetch data to your device, the overall performance will be severely limited at the stage of storing data to the flash card.

Originally Posted by Serge View Post
It is important to have a high speed kernel with multiblock write support (HE firmware images are still provided by Nokia and they do not seem to take the risk of including high speed MMC patches). Multiblock write support is very important for fast moving data to the device

Without the high speed MMC kernel, no matter how fast WLAN driver can fetch data to your device, the overall performance will be severely limited at the stage of storing data to the flash card.
OK, Is a high-speed kernel with multiblock write support available? It's not included in the latest HE firmware image?

Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
OK, Is a high-speed kernel with multiblock write support available? It's not included in the latest HE firmware image?
Fanoush can answer this question much better than me. Anyway, you can try the latest highspeed kernel from http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/ (you don't have to immediately flash it instead of the current one, it is possible to just boot kernels for testing).

Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Fanoush can answer this question much better than me. Anyway, you can try the latest highspeed kernel from http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/ (you don't have to immediately flash it instead of the current one, it is possible to just boot kernels for testing).
Thanks Serge!

Edit:

I flashed Fanoush's latest kernel and I'm seeing better overall throughput, but still the occasional freeze.. in one case :

"259101 100% 4.29kB/s 0:00:58 (xfer#14, to-check=2205/2383)"

However, I'm better off now that I was before.

Jeff

Last edited by JeffElkins; 2008-02-24 at 22:53.

Some more hints to improve performance.

It probably makes sense trying to disable rsync compression. Depending on the compressibility of your data, it may be much more favorable to run without any compression at all.

Also as rsync is running over ssh in your case, faster cipher will definitely improve performance, it has been already mentioned in this thread with benchmarks posted. In order to use faster cypher, you can edit '/etc/ssh/sshd_config' on the device and append 'Ciphers blowfish-cbc' or 'Ciphers arcfour' (without quotes) line to the end of it. Rebooting the device may be needed for this change to take effect. Using 'arcfour' is the fastest method, but it is considered insecure and some ssh clients may reject connecting to your device after this change. In any case, messing with sshd config may result in nonworking ssh, so be prepared to restore this configuration file from xterm on the device itself in the worst case.

As for the further optimizations, we may consider either adding assembly optimizations to blowfish cipher, or still try find some way to use OMAP hardware acceleration for DES/3DES/AES.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
There is also 'none' cipher but maybe it is not compiled in
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/none.php

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#sdhc is the latest
It is a hack, it can't be included in any official firmware. Even OMAP2 in N8x0 does not support high speed SD and MMC modes officially (= with TI's blessing) so those are disabled in kernels shipped by Nokia. OMAP1710 in 770 is older and maybe they also used other incompatible parts or design since they intentionally restrict 770 mmc speed to 12MHz in all 770 kernels (24Mhz would be normal, 48MHz is high speed). Or maybe 770 is fine but rs-mmc cards on market are flaky so they slowed it down to make it more compatiblle, who knows.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Thanks for the tips guys!