Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
The Nokia Converter doesn't have a sound normalization option, which is why I raised an enhancement request for it.
Thanks for clearing that up because I was really confused as I could not find a setting...

There are two converters that I use:

Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter (NITVC) - vbrilon is the product manager for this. NITVC converts video files (most formats are supported. MKV is not supported yet) to MP4 format that plays back well on the built-in media player
Kinda figured that from what he said....again thanks for cluing us all in on the scoop.

N800 Video Convert (http://xoomer.alice.it/sepaolo/n800vc/) which converts most movie formats (MKV included, though I suspect that it will convert anything that your PC can playback with the right codecs) to AVI (not sure if it is DivX or Xvid) that can be played back on the tablet with Mplayer.

N800VC's output file sizes are usually around 5% to 10% smaller than output files from NITVC, but I don't like the way Canola handles MP4/AVI files (I would prefer it if Canola would use the built-in Media Player for MP4 playback and Mplayer for AVI playback). As such, I now have a mix of MP4 and AVI movies and it's really annoying -- will have to start running a batch conversion from DivX to MP4 using NITVC later this evening.
Thanks for the tip on the N800VC...I am looking at it before bed...it's 1am AGAIN and it seems I can't get to bed before 4am since my N800 arrived...the thing is EVIL I tell you!! HAHAHA....but it does mean less time during the day for problems to visit my door step.

BTW, I personally think there are just too many video player options and they all seem to create a bit of confusion. I imagine it is worse for the typical home "I just want to turn it on and use it" user...then again one of the big reasons I went for the N800 is it's not some locked system. Anyway, it sure would help if the developer community gathered together and decided on some standards and maybe even pooled resources to create the needed conversion libs on the PC end.

Right now, I just deleted Canola because, while it's pretty, it doesn't play anything I own and I do not need application bloat. Then there is the default Media Player, a Media Center .

I installed Mplayer because it does support .divx and can eventually support NSV. I have tested it from the command line and have had mixed results for NSV (usually plays only the audio track, depends on if the NSV encoding uses IP6 or not) and EXCELLENT results with .divx. Then there is gawds knows what else...

I know I am media tech challenged, always avoided it like the plague, but I am far from the home pseudo-power user and it all looks kinda murky to me. I need simple as I get old...

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
I've spent way too much time on my NIT since I got it back in early October 07, but I have really enjoyed the ownership experience. it's not perfect and it certainly could be faster, but I'm happy with what I have now

Yes, Canola is just a pretty front-end, but it's useful for me when I'm in the car and haven't got the time at the stop lights to start picking about the little menus. Otherwise, the default Media Player does the job for me

You're right about there being too many options right now as well, but seeing that this community is one that nitpicks on the problem of not enough options being available, I guess choice works for them. As for me, I'm happy with whatever works, but I like consistency in my file formats. The fact that I have MP4 video and AVI video files running around in my N800 now is annoying the heck out of me, but I had some videos in MKV format that NITVC wouldn't touch, so I'm waiting for NITVC to support it, and that will be the end of using AVI files -- I would prefer to run MP4s since they are better supported by the Media Player, and my torrents will be able to help a larger, less-tech-savvy N8x0 user base, people who want to "just want to turn it on and use it"

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I am looking at it before bed...it's 1am AGAIN and it seems I can't get to bed before 4am since my N800 arrived...the thing is EVIL I tell you!!
Don't worry about that: soon the dismal battery autonomy (less than 2 hours using the browser, I'd suppose that video will suck even more power, especially if you try to stream it) will make you go to sleep earlier.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
I had some videos in MKV format that NITVC wouldn't touch, so I'm waiting for NITVC to support it
Can you file that as an enhancement request please? https://bugs.maemo.org is the Bugzilla. Not sure what it would take to support MKV files, but we can certainly get some folks to take a look at it at least.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Originally Posted by luca View Post
Don't worry about that: soon the dismal battery autonomy (less than 2 hours using the browser, I'd suppose that video will suck even more power, especially if you try to stream it) will make you go to sleep earlier.
I'm not certain what you're saying about the battery life on the N8x0. I can pretty much use my N800 all day, a good 12hrs on a single charge if I'm simply web browsing or running apps. I do have power settings to idle wheen noot in use as well as hang the display set at 2-bars and not cranked all the way up. I also have the wifi card set to 10mW vs. 100mW as I am always in close proximity to my router or have a clean line-of-sight. That change makes a huge difference if you are browsing a lot.

A nice side effect of keeping the backlight turned down is it will help prolong the life of the backlight in the tablet. If you leave it maxed out all the time then you will shorten it's life span. Unless of course the N8x0's used LED not CCFL backlights. LED backlights should outlive all of us combined, no matter how high they are turned up.

I would expect about 2hrs when streaming or watching video. I only get about 4-5 hrs on my 17" laptop with an extra 8-10hr battery. Under normal use I get about 6-8hrs on that laptop. Video with all the bells & whistles just drains batteries......

I think it's more then that. I've watched several episodes of Gundam 00 back to back on it. Those episodes were about 30 minutes each (give or take a few minutes) and I skipped the intro and credits. So it's about 27 min each.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think it's more then that. I've watched several episodes of Gundam 00 back to back on it. Those episodes were about 30 minutes each (give or take a few minutes) and I skipped the intro and credits. So it's about 27 min each.
Heck, I've watched 2 movies back-to-back on the plane (Children of Men and A Scanner Darkly, 109 and 100 minutes respectively). 4 hours is about the time I get watching movies, and around 4-6 with heavy to light browsing.

Suffice to say, luca's battery life claims are completely bogus.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State
I use iriverter with the n800/n770 plug-in. It allows you to boost audio and produces very nice video. It reads video files as well as DVD's.

The Following User Says Thank You to frasej For This Useful Post:
Interesting. Thanks for the links, I've been trying to find something that would boost the audio a little.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Heck, I've watched 2 movies back-to-back on the plane (Children of Men and A Scanner Darkly, 109 and 100 minutes respectively). 4 hours is about the time I get watching movies, and around 4-6 with heavy to light browsing.

Suffice to say, luca's battery life claims are completely bogus.
Yeah, that sounds much better. I have yet to not get at least 4hrs using mine. But did not want to claim more as I have not been awake when the power finally poop'd out to say when it occured.

And thanks to everyone for the links to alternative conversion apps! I have had little success with the Internet Tablet Video Converter, maybe I just don't understand it completely, others have mentioned it works well for them sooooo.

But I have had great success with the Nokia N800 Video Convert software. I also get perfect results from using the DIVX converter for my DIVX video so I have little need to convert to another format in order to reformat the video for the NIT's. Really why add an extra conversion when Mplayer plays DIVX just fine.

Both the Divx Converter and Nokia N800 Convert work in batch mode so tonight I'll run a batch and see how it works by tomorrow AM.